Author Topic: LED fixtures at newer buildings???  (Read 13300 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:49:04 PM » Author: sol
If it doesn't turn on with a new lamp and photocell Xcel would install a new fixture without any further troubleshooting and the old entire fixture would go to the recycler.

That's what the power company does here (and is a waste of resources). I was referring to non-utility owned parking lot lights for which they are not responsible. Re-lamping at regular intervals would have been cheaper in the long run.

Years ago, the power company had linesmen refurbish street lights on slow, rainy days when there was little else to do. Nowadays, time is money...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 06:57:18 PM » Author: Ash
Over here they would happily replace ignitors. Also, i seen some quite tough ignitors out there - ES50 ticking every night over 17 years, the lantern never had a lamp screwed in....

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:30:40 PM » Author: 589
Not to mention electrical contractors push for led too, I had reviewed a proposal by a contractor several months back which had all kinds of numbers fudged to make their proposal look better. For example they swore up and down that each parking lot pole had two 1000w mh shoeboxes when in actuality they are only 400w each. Not to mention they were going to replace both "1000w" shoeboxes with only one 215w LED. Get outta here!!! There's no physical way one 215w LED is going to perform the same as 2 1000w MH, even if the fixture is only 40% efficient and you take 15% off the top to account for a broken in lamp. They also fudged the on time and kWh charges to make it look like a no brainier. The bad part is the facilities manager didn't catch on to any of this, and he's not an idiot actually a really smart guy. Just not lighting savvy. I redesigned it with two 215w LEDs and recalculated the numbers and it would take about 8 years for them to BREAK EVEN with the initial cost of install. Warranty was 10 years. It's also complicated further by the fact that not all the 52 poles in the parking lot light up every night. About half are only used two to three times a week and only for a few hours each time at that. Makes the maths harder and easier for them to fudge if your not looking (which they did).

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 02:57:45 AM » Author: Ash
I havent seen one LED installing company that doesn't fudge the numbers. It goes all the way up to the manufacturers

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 07:56:31 PM » Author: 589
Yep, whatever it takes to move that product. Market is almost saturated with HID, we need something else to be "better" to make people want to retrofit everything in addition to new construction. Gotta fatten up the bonus and the stocks, woohoo.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:15 PM » Author: sol
And someone is most likely thinking about the post-LED era, when every luminaire will be changed to something new, just like the LED today. And not just in lighting, all industries have CEO's that want that platinum Rolex and that new Mercedes...

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:51 PM » Author: 589
Yea they're not worried about who comes after them just gettin the gettin while there is still something to get while they still have to get it. People who come in after they've left fat and rich and be having to deal with the aftermath. Part of the problem beyond lighting, enough folks in high places just care about whatever it takes to keep their rear in the chair and rich to cause problems. If it makes the whole thing fall apart after they leave, so what? They got their money. Hey we just make the best with what we have, I'd say we're doin alright.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 10:59:31 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Look, I hate LEDs (except in general use), is that they start strobing and flashing and fail by the driver ballast, which is kind of a annoyance.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:01:08 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 11:09:37 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Look, I hate LEDs (except in general use), is that they start strobing and flashing and fail by the driver ballast, which is kind of a annoyance.
If you hate LED's except for when they are in general use... you've kind of contradicted yourself there...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:03 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I ment, I use them in general use.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 12:50:13 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Any new stores that I've seen open here in the past couple years have been LED lit inside...and in all honesty most of them from a looks/brightness perspective are just fine. Infact I doubt most people would even know the lights aren't fluorescent. LEDs have certainly come a long way since the early generation ones.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 07:50:35 AM » Author: Rommie

If you hate LED's except for when they are in general use... you've kind of contradicted yourself there...

There's going to be another entry in "Things that annoy you" in a minute, why the [censored] do people say "kind of" all the time, as if it were some form of punctuation..?  >:( :P ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:15 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There's going to be another entry in "Things that annoy you" in a minute, why the [censored] do people say "kind of" all the time, as if it were some form of punctuation..?  >:( :P ;D
Yes. you have either contradicted yourself or you haven't.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:53 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I didn't say anything wrong. I like LEDs, that I use them in general use. Nothing wrong there. :-\

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:29 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Yes. you have either contradicted yourself or you haven't.  >:(
Ehh if it annoys you... read over it, I'm likely not going to change my typing or speaking habits much anytime soon...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies