Author Topic: LED fixtures at newer buildings???  (Read 13304 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « on: January 10, 2018, 03:22:04 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Is this some type of new building code, because, when I go to a newer shopping center, they have LED parking lot lighting, and even indoor LED fixtures, and I don't see a fluorescent or MH fixtures. They seem to put LED fixtures in newer building structures. Could this be a new building code?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
No, I've seen new structures going up with HPS around here.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:16 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Not code, but many builders and building owners get energy rebates if they use LED.  The vast majority will have LED everything now. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:30:52 AM » Author: Ash
Not code, but many builders and building owners get energy rebates if they use LED
LED are supposed to save energy, so go ahead, install them and save on energy as you please. Adding rebates on top of that is cheating : The real energy savings are not sufficient to justify their use, so rebates are added to promote them
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:58:36 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I still see places with old fluorescent lighting like at gas stations

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:42:39 AM » Author: 589
Yea unfortunately power companies and the govt are pushing them on companies by subsidizing the high cost of led fixtures for them. Georgia power (southern company) I think at one point even advertised this over the radio here. Most times new installs and refits here are 100% led.

:lps:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:32:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Yea unfortunately power companies and the govt are pushing them on companies by subsidizing the high cost of led fixtures for them. Georgia power (southern company) I think at one point even advertised this over the radio here. Most times new installs and refits here are 100% led.
Am I just in somewhat of a lucky spot then?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:50:55 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I would say so, yes.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:28:06 PM » Author: Cole D.
I don't think any building code would mandate the lighting type. But most companies I'm sure are moving toward retrofitting their stores to LED so of course any new builds would include them. It would be a corporate decision. I haven't noticed a lot of LED in existing stores, I will have to look closer at the lights in the newer stores, but I know the gas stations all started moving to them, especially Shell. And a lot of signs use the LED tubes. LEDs have been used in stores for years though, I know my Winn Dixie was redone in 2008 and all of the spotlights and freezer lighting is LED put in then. I will have to look at the new Publix stores in my area and see what they have. I thought it was fluorescent but it seems most likely LED.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:41:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The new development in the centre of Aberdeen has got awful LED fixtures on the buildings.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:30 PM » Author: Rommie
The new development in the centre of Aberdeen has got awful LED fixtures on the buildings.
Absolutely, it looks awful. The whole development is totally out of character with its surroundings, the lighting is just one of the things we hate about it  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:20 PM » Author: BT25
Here in the Peoples Republic of Seattle, the city has its own energy code, and they will jump on anything that saves a couple of watts. Trying to keep up with the energy politics can be daunting.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:15 PM » Author: Rommie

Here in the Peoples Republic of Seattle, the city has its own energy code, and they will jump on anything that saves a couple of watts. Trying to keep up with the energy politics can be daunting.
The problem is that there are two budgets, the one for the electricity costs and the one for buying the fixtures. Those responsible for one don't speak to the other.

It seems to me it's all about saving electricity costs; they'll spend millions on new LED fixtures to save a minimal amount of electricity, and never mind the quality of the light output  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 08:08:14 PM » Author: sol
Re: budgets. Some people (bean counters, most notably) will get the cheapest lighting they can find, in the LED department, of course because of low energy use. If the lights last at least a year, then it will be next year's budget that will take care of replacements. This year's purchases don't blow the budget because cheap fixtures were bought, and eventual failures will be taken care of in future budgets.

It might not be the case everywhere, but it is the mentality around here.

I once asked about group relamping the HPS fixtures outside my work place, because another would fail once they repaired the ones that were out. The reply was that it is cheaper to spot replace (repair) because you have to purchase less lamps. Not a word was said that it was seldom only a new lamp that was required because they let the ignitors get bad from trying to start dead lamps too long. Of course, "the ballast is bad and has to be replaced". They didn't even think about the ignitor, and they didn't keep some spares. And the story continues until someone had the idea of changing out the fixtures to LED... :-( Of course, a bucket truck had to be hired to access said fixtures, not something that is low cost...
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: LED fixtures at newer buildings??? « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 09:05:07 PM » Author: mdcastle
Replacing a fixture now and then because of a bad ignition is probably cheaper than bringing out a truck every time a lamp starts to cycle. For all the comments about how you can't replace parts in LED fixtures, that's generally not done with HPS either. If it doesn't turn on with a new lamp and photocell Xcel would install a new fixture without any further troubleshooting and the old entire fixture would go to the recycler.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:07:31 PM by mdcastle » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies