Author Topic: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use  (Read 1772 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:59 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Anyway, I actually track thunderstorms with my lightning detectors, to know when a storm is coming, or leaving, or in the area (not guaranteed to come). Basically, lightning detectors have some type of technology, to detect lightning strikes far, or close. Everyone should have a lightning detector, especially, if you're going outside. By the way, if you don't have a lightning detector, you can use your AM radio, to be as a lightning detector. How does a AM radio can detect lightning? Well, basically its amplitude modulation (AM), so it can detect lightning strikes by a loud static spark sound. The lower volume of the static spark sound, the farther the lightning, the louder volume of the static spark sound, the closer the lightning. This is known as "Sefrics". Whether, theres lightning in the area, thats what you'll hear, if you have a AM radio. In order to listen to lightning strikes on a AM radio, tune to 520kHZ or 530kHZ which is best, for lightning detection.

Here are my lightning detectors. down below.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:04:15 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:09:28 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Two are Acurite, one is homemade from a radio, and a Skyscan lightning detector, if you're wondering.

I forgot to tell you that, because, since I ran out of space for the first post.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:31:21 PM » Author: Lodge
When your hair starts to stand up the lighting is close..
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:46 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Really? lol
I didn't know that, but only if your not super close to it, because lightning is a dangerous thing.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:45:17 PM » Author: suzukir122
When your hair stands up, be prepared to go inside or away from that particular area. Fast. That right there is usually
a sign you're about to get struck... either that or tingling skin, or a metallic taste in your mouth. All VERY bad signs.

@Lightinglover8902, the AM radio trick is something I also learned years ago. I remember years ago when I was living with
my parents, the power went out due to a severe squall line of storms that went through our area. These were not Supercell storms,
but they were still very severe with winds of up to 80mph, and lightning that seemed never ending. I was listening to AM radio
because there was a station that had our meteorologist on air talking about the storm. As I was listening, I could hear static
with each and every lightning flash... and even the static seemed never ending. That's definitely one of the greatest ways to
detect incoming storms, as well as incoming severe weather. The more lightning you hear/see, the more severe the storm.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:07 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
That is true.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:37:48 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's very rare that we get severe thunder and lightning storms over here.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:47:00 AM » Author: Cole D.
We don't get as many of the summer ones as we used to. Some years we would get one every evening and the power would go out. I remember one time I was looking out the bedroom window right as a bolt struck and all I could see was white. Several TVs blew out. Last summer lighting hit my neighbor's flagpole. It went right down the fence and you could see where the grass was dead around where it hit and the path. It blew out their neighbor's TVs also.

This fall we did have some bad storms at night when the cold fronts would come in. I'd wake up very late night/very early morning and there would be thunder so loud the windows were shaking and heavy rain.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Thunderstorm and Lightning Detectors, How to use « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 12:31:33 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
By they way , I do live near the Galveston Tx, coast line, which like (going to guess) I'll say 116 miles, from where I live. So we do get some thunderstorms, due to humidity.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies