Author Topic: What do you hate/like about LED  (Read 7071 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 11:51:04 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I love the 4100k Philips RoadFocus LED lights in my area.  They did a better job lighting the area when the fog rolled in vs the HPS cobrahead fixtures that are still up! 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 07:45:11 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I don't consider that view good... The whole point is to light up the ground not the fog aswell.... HPS does a good job at lighting the ground and keeping the fog lighting at a minimum, atleast from what I noticed.it was foggy here last night as well, I noticed that the HPS lit the roads just fine while the MH lamps on the bike path were basically lighting walls of fog.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:23:13 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:28 PM » Author: Medved
Yet still the result does not look that bad - the thing is, the LEDs are easy to make as FCO without efficacy impact and that helps a lot there (with the scattering the direct light glare becomes way worse).

But what I really hate about the LED products is the enormous marketing ballooning. It really is the main cause of the unrealistic performance expectations many people have towards the LED products, no wonder the only result is huge disappointment and in many cases even inadequate system specification/installation, even when the LEDs actually do perform way better in many cases (when specified and installed correctly).

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 03:05:56 PM » Author: Ash
With how LED FCO are made (lens panel), their direct light glare is worse right from the start, without need in any fog or so. The fog does not make it better

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:40 PM » Author: Lodge
With how LED FCO are made (lens panel), their direct light glare is worse right from the start, without need in any fog or so. The fog does not make it better

Yep about the only thing it does is makes it look neat when there is fog, it does make for a nice photo..
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 07:12:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The biggest thing I hate about LED is how everyone is bowing down to it and soon there won't be any other choice.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:45 PM » Author: suzukir122
New LED fail:
Literally behind my apartment complex, there are two public buildings (next to a Speedway gas station, which is also
behind my apartment.) Right after my apartment bedroom window, there is nothing but trees that have grown around
a wooden gate. Behind the trees and gate are the two buildings with the LED's that shine behind their buildings. On one of
those buildings, two LED fixtures have already failed -- glowing very very dim. Two.
These are brand new fixtures, guys.
I've talked about LED failure rates being very high for quite some time now, and it seems bad enough now to the point
where there are LED failures taking place right next to my apartment complex, from the newest fixtures.
That's... pretty bad.
For me, the biggest thing I hate about LED's is their high unexpected failure rate, besides the fact that some
of those fixtures could end up being a pain/costly to replace.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:38 AM » Author: Rommie
The biggest thing I hate about LED is how everyone is bowing down to it and soon there won't be any other choice.  >:(
That's true, and we've know of electrical contractors who are now having great difficulty sourcing anything other than LED from their wholesalers, in some cases resorting to buying from eBay  :o

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:36 AM » Author: Rommie
LPS (SOX) is by far the best lighting for driving in fog. The French used to have yellow headlights for a very good reason.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:07 PM » Author: Max
LPS (SOX) is by far the best lighting for driving in fog. The French used to have yellow headlights for a very good reason.

... reasons which had absolutely nothing to do with visibility in poor weather. This is in fact something deeply rooted in history:

The strong increase of military activities in Germany during the 1930s became a cause of concern for the French government. It was feared that an invasion would occur from the east, so a law was passed in 1936 which required all French motor vehicles to have yellow-colored headlights in contrast with the white headlights used in Germany. The intention was to make the event of a nighttime invasion much more easily spotted by French military forces, so counter-actions would not be delayed (not that this has helped very much in 1940).

The Vichy government formed under the German occupation re-established the use of white headlights as an alignment to German practices. The required use of yellow headlights returned right after the liberation in 1944 as a consequence of a global rejection of everything the Germans imposed in France during the four years of the occupation. Interestingly, yellow headlights were still mandatory well after Germany's surrender, and this had nothing to do with safety or other consideration, only the result of the French law being left unchanged for so many years. It is only in 1992 that certain points of the law were changed and permitted the use white headlights, in conformity with European rights. This change came into effect in January 1993. Before that, it was indeed illegal to use white headlights/foglights on the roads.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:07:15 PM by Max. » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 01:07:13 PM » Author: Rommie
... reasons which had absolutely nothing to do with visibility in poor weather. This is in fact something deeply rooted in history:
Thanks, I didn't know that. But I did find it a lot easier to drive in fog when I fitted yellow bulbs.

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 01:17:55 PM » Author: Beta 5
The biggest thing I hate about LED is how everyone is bowing down to it and soon there won't be any other choice.  >:(

Yes its annoying isn't it >:( Especially when proper lighting suits the aupplication better like SOX and SON for driving at night.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:09:34 PM by Beta 5 » Logged

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:08 PM » Author: Max
Thanks, I didn't know that. But I did find it a lot easier to drive in fog when I fitted yellow bulbs.
I guess this is a matter of personal preferences. I have no problem driving in foggy conditions with white headlights, and remembering my time when I learned driving, the yellow headlights made me feel as if I was driving with sunglasses at night... not really nice. White light provide so much more clarity.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you hate/like about LED « Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:41 PM » Author: Rommie
I guess this is a matter of personal preferences. I have no problem driving in foggy conditions with white headlights, and remembering my time when I learned driving, the yellow headlights made me feel as if I was driving with sunglasses at night... not really nice. White light provide so much more clarity.
Possibly, but yellow tinted sunglasses are certainly known to be beneficial when driving in snowy conditions, many heavy goods drivers use them in winter.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies