Author Topic: What would you have in your dream house?  (Read 22464 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 09:00:40 PM » Author: Lumex120
Well I somehow missed this thread. I have a lot of things I would love to have.

-First, I like smaller houses and so my "dream home" wouldn't be a mansion or anything like that. My favorite would be a ranch style or something modern looking.
Other things I would want:
-Instead of having central HVAC I would have a few mini split heat pumps in different rooms. In my experience they cool better than central and window units, which is especially nice in bedrooms. Plus the fact that they can have very high efficiency ratings. They are also great for heating when the temperature outside isn't too low (then again I'm in MN so having them as the only heat source wouldn't work out).

-I'd try to have my electricity be off grid and come from something like a Tesla solar roof with a few powerwall units. That, or a whole DIY system. That way I could also have a wind turbine depending on location.

-For outdoor lighting I would have a streetlight pole both in the driveway and backyard. The street lights would be low wattage metal halide or mercury vapor (70-100w). That, or a few decorative wall lights on the front and back running 50w mercury lamps.

-I would also like to have a larger shop or garage space since I like building things and in my current situation I have no ways of really doing that. I also want to build a large custom 3D printer that would take up a lot of space sometime. If I had to choose between a big living space and a big work space I would absolutely choose the second option. Anyways, for lighting the space I don't really have preferences but I would probably have metal halide low bays or fluorescents of some kind. If I went HID I would also have some LED lights on a second circuit for when I only need light for a few minutes or don't want to wait for the HID lights to warm up. Electrical service in the shop space would probably be 120v only unless my solar setup can output 240v too. I don't really find myself needing 240v equipment (I mainly do low power MIG welding that can be done with 120v just fine).

-I don't care too much for what inside the house is like. I just like things clean and bright. For lighting I would probably just use a bunch of smart bulbs with adjustable color temperature. I'd definitely have quite a few ceiling fans since they are so nice to have during the summer plus they look nicer than plain light fixtures IMO.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #61 on: April 30, 2020, 12:53:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
Somehow I think I missed this thread too. Anyway if I were to build a if money is no object house it'd probably have these things. A lot of the lights for these are stuff I already have in my collection so I thought of the rooms around what I already have in some cases.

- A fairly decent sized workshop, complete with metalworking machines and all the required tooling like a milling machine, a CNC mill, lathe, welder. Maybe even sheet metal machines if there's a lot of room. I'm probably gonna install some 8ft HO or PG fluorescent turrets to light up this place. Then maybe have the F40 preheat units as task lighting over the machines and workbench. Also a service bay equipped with a car lift would be nice to have in this space. I'd probably install the majority of my street sign, traffic signal and streetlight collection along the walls of this shop. Kind of like a museum to vintage traffic control and street lighting technology

- Some sort of office area where I can install some stem mounted louvered fixtures, maybe a room big enough that could allow two rows of 3-4 ft units.

- Holophane incandescent low bays over the kitchen island, either with incandescent, LED filament or some sort of low wattage CMH. Mostly likely incandescent/LED since HID woulkd

- a place to install all my MV downlights, maybe have the 100w unit over the front door and the two 50w PSMH units in the entrance vestibule

- A home theatre with a decent projection and sound system, I'd probably fit some automated recessed lights in here and a vintage exit sign over the door.

As for the outside probably a couple of poles to install some low wattage streetlights, the smaller cobraheads, the Revere peaheads and the gumballs would be perfect for this. It would be nice to have three poles, one with a MTO truss arm, one with a braced S shaped arm, and one with a tapered elliptical arm. These lights would either be 1000-2000L incandescent/LED, or 50/70/100 MV or CMH. Maybe have a small SOX and HPS fixture out there too.
Wireman
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #62 on: September 10, 2020, 11:48:46 PM » Author: Wireman
I'm a pretty simple person I would be happy just to get the house back that I grew up in and restore it to it's 70s-80s appearance.
Lots of earthtone colors brown,beige, almond, and gold.
Timberline kitchen cabinets and harvest gold appliances and definitely a gas stove.
The 2 bathrooms would have their fawn beige fixtures.
The large open living and dining rooms would once again have their dark glass mirrored walls and I would install plenty of black baffle recessed cans with R30 lamps actually I would have them throughout the house which is what I was trying to do years ago as a teenager.
The kitchen and both bathrooms would still have T12 fluorescents.
The family room would still have the multi-colored brick walls and the wood plank ceiling that my father built.
I would go a step further and have a pool built with a waterfall and I definitely want the pool area lit up with clear MV lamps.
The house already had a decent sized garage (my father needed a place to build his race car) so I would have room for my 2 Trans Ams.
I'm stopping here now that I'm mortgaged to the eyeballs!
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #63 on: September 12, 2020, 12:27:36 AM » Author: CEB1993
I’d have Lampi F8T5 fixtures on the underside of all my kitchen cabinets. I really like those mini F8T5 lamps and the blinking start up on a preheat setup. I’d also enjoy having a few F15T8 ceiling fixtures here and there too.

I’d really splurge on my bed if money was no object  :) I’d go with the premiere Serta California king mattress with a 3 inch thick memory foam topper. Hypoallergenic pillows, fleece blankets, and Philips Wiz bulbs in my bedside lamps for an automatic sunrise and sunset effect while falling asleep and waking up. I’d get a mahogany or cherry Casablanca Zephyr ceiling fan for my bedroom with a remote and a four-bulb light kit to run a few of my favorite old incandescents and create a relaxing breeze.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #64 on: October 04, 2020, 01:35:11 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I wouldn't have much of a large house, but some essentials would be:
The basement would have wood paneling, a foosball table, a pool table, a low t-bar ceiling (with black painted t-bars) with F40T12 magnetic RS troffers, and a bar with stained glass Coca-Cola lamps above it (And at least one Despard switch). There would be a lot of space for fluorescent lamp, ballast, and fixture storage, with the same accommodations for incandescent and HID lamps. The kitchen would have one of those 1980s "light box" style fluorescent lights with F40T12s on magnetic RS ballasts and preheat under cabinet lights. For the living room, I would have a CRT TV with a VHS player (The only modern thing there would be a cable box). For the living room lights, I would use fluorescent wall lights (lights inside the very edge of the ceiling that shine down the wall) with F40T12s on magnetic RS ballasts, a mercury vapor square recessed light at the center of the room, and some incandescent recessed squares around the room. Each would have a separate switch. The dining room would have a 1920s or 30s schoolhouse light with a single high wattage incandescent lamp in it (on a dimmer). There would be incandescent recessed squares around the room (also on a dimmer). My bedroom would have a high ceiling with a metal halide high bay light in the middle and hanging F96T12/VHO lights around the edges of the room. It would also have a nice 1980s boombox with an auto reverse cassette tape mechanism. My bathroom would have a mercury switch for the chrome F14T12 vanity lights and some recessed squares and a fan on a duplex snap switch. Also, every switch and receptacle will be a vintage one from my collection including snap switches, mercury switches, Eagle proprietary mechanism switches, and even a few vintage dimmers.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #65 on: October 04, 2020, 09:30:52 PM » Author: CEB1993
The basement would have wood paneling, a foosball table, a pool table, a low t-bar ceiling (with black painted t-bars) with F40T12 magnetic RS troffers, and a bar with stained glass Coca-Cola lamps above it (And at least one Despard switch). There would be a lot of space for fluorescent lamp, ballast, and fixture storage, with the same accommodations for incandescent and HID lamps. The kitchen would have one of those 1980s "light box" style fluorescent lights with F40T12s on magnetic RS ballasts and preheat under cabinet lights. For the living room, I would have a CRT TV with a VHS player (The only modern thing there would be a cable box). For the living room lights, I would use fluorescent wall lights (lights inside the very edge of the ceiling that shine down the wall) with F40T12s on magnetic RS ballasts, a mercury vapor square recessed light at the center of the room, and some incandescent recessed squares around the room. Each would have a separate switch. The dining room would have a 1920s or 30s schoolhouse light with a single high wattage incandescent lamp in it (on a dimmer). There would be incandescent recessed squares around the room (also on a dimmer). My bedroom would have a high ceiling with a metal halide high bay light in the middle and hanging F96T12/VHO lights around the edges of the room. It would also have a nice 1980s boombox with an auto reverse cassette tape mechanism. My bathroom would have a mercury switch for the chrome F14T12 vanity lights and some recessed squares and a fan on a duplex snap switch. Also, every switch and receptacle will be a vintage one from my collection including snap switches, mercury switches, Eagle proprietary mechanism switches, and even a few vintage dimmers.

Sounds like a pretty cool place  8) My house is from the early 80s and has that wood paneling. A timeless look if you ask me. Those Coca Cola stained glass/Tiffany lamps are on the list for my dream house too! Now that I'm learning more about fluorescents, I'd also enjoy some F40T12's in the workspaces in my basement. I'd have under cabinet lighting in the kitchens and bathrooms with Lampi F8T5 fixtures. Those are cool little fluorescent installations  :) I like the sound of those school house lights too! Those are such a popular retro design and I've seen them in one of my favorite restaurants, an old-school post WWII themed steak house and bar. They run on a dimmer and give the place a wonderful ambiance, so I'm sure they will turn out nice in your place too!

I recently discovered mercury switches on a ReStore trip with one of my friends. They're completely silent when turned on and off, and have a more refined and luxurious feel. I might like those in the bedroom or hallway, or even in my sensory neutral relaxation room. A few other things I'd enjoy having are some antique table fans and manual preheat F15T8 fluorescent desk lamps. I enjoy smaller fluorescent lamps that can easily be moved around and used for task lighting.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Wireman
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #66 on: October 06, 2020, 12:29:18 AM » Author: Wireman
Now this is what I call a dream house! Oh great now I'm going to have redo my place all over again! :lol:
I especially like what you said about having a CRT TV and a VHS tape player, would you believe that I'm still using both to this day!
Still enjoy playing my 8-bit NES on that old set as well as my SNES.
You obviously know what COOL is!! 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:31:04 AM by Wireman » Logged
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #67 on: October 06, 2020, 09:19:44 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Now this is what I call a dream house! Oh great now I'm going to have redo my place all over again! :lol:
I especially like what you said about having a CRT TV and a VHS tape player, would you believe that I'm still using both to this day!
Still enjoy playing my 8-bit NES on that old set as well as my SNES.
You obviously know what COOL is!! 8)
Thank you! That's really cool that you still use your NES and SNES!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 11:07:46 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm not sure whether I've said this before but I would love to have a fully equipped workshop for doing metalwork, woodwork and electrical work.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #69 on: October 17, 2020, 03:26:52 PM » Author: AngryHorse
My dream house wouldn’t have to be big, but I’d love loads of land, so I could fill it with roller coasters!  :love:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #70 on: February 13, 2021, 07:27:01 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Personally, I might consider buying a large piece of farmland out in the middle of nowhere and build a mansion on it. As part of the mansion, there would be a low pressure sodium lit pathway to the front door. I would have most of my interior rooms lit by preheat fluorescent, metal halide, mercury vapor, and high pressure sodium. I would also have a large event hall illuminated by an array of 400w mercury vapor high bays interlaced with preheat F40T12/F36T8 shoplight style fixtures and also some 2 lamp 200w SLI/H shoplight style fixtures. Whenever I would host a blacklight dance party, I would put 400w blacklight mercury vapor lamps in the high bays and install F36T8 or F40T12 blacklight tubes in the preheat fluorescent fixtures. When I want an event where high CRI is important, I will install high CRI fluorescent tubes in the preheat fluorescents and also metal halide lamps in the mercury vapor high bays with the appropriate ignitors in them. When I host events where a sunset is to be simulated, I would install high pressure sodium retrofit lamps in the high bays and also turn on the SLI/H shoplight style fixtures.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #71 on: February 13, 2021, 07:51:35 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Personally, I might consider buying a large piece of farmland out in the middle of nowhere and build a mansion on it. As part of the mansion, there would be a low pressure sodium lit pathway to the front door. I would have most of my interior rooms lit by preheat fluorescent, metal halide, mercury vapor, and high pressure sodium. I would also have a large event hall illuminated by an array of 400w mercury vapor high bays interlaced with preheat F40T12/F36T8 shoplight style fixtures and also some 2 lamp 200w SLI/H shoplight style fixtures. Whenever I would host a blacklight dance party, I would put 400w blacklight mercury vapor lamps in the high bays and install F36T8 or F40T12 blacklight tubes in the preheat fluorescent fixtures. When I want an event where high CRI is important, I will install high CRI fluorescent tubes in the preheat fluorescents and also metal halide lamps in the mercury vapor high bays with the appropriate ignitors in them. When I host events where a sunset is to be simulated, I would install high pressure sodium retrofit lamps in the high bays and also turn on the SLI/H shoplight style fixtures.
The SLI/H shoplight idea sounds cool!

Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #72 on: February 16, 2021, 09:51:01 PM » Author: Walter Knox
my dream house already exists and i kind of already own it. the lady who currently lives there has done some "re modeling" which i am going to have to undo. the house was built in the 40s and moved to it's current location in 1960. it is mostly original and i would keep it that way. the things i would change are the countertops (they were replaced a few years back and i would change then to something more period correct), the appliances as they are of the new cheap garbage variety, i would replace them with vintage alternatives and most likely a speed queen washer and dryer. I would also have the cast iron bath tub restored as it is showing it's wear. I would replace all of the LED lighting that is currently there with mostly vintage fluorescent lights i already have. the house has all of it's original electrical wiring, which I would keep, but it does need some repairs where some people have done bad repairs over the years. the asbestos siding and ceiling tiles would stay, because asbestos is a great material and will last forever. the lady who lives there has a disabled husband, and had a large wrap around deck with wheelchair ramps, as nice as the large deck is, it is kind of unsightly, and i may end up removing it. other than that stuff I really just want to keep everything original, it is a 2 bed 2 bath small house and I want nothing more. even if i had a bunch of money I do not want a big house or any fancy crap. i just want a nice vintage house that is intact. so, I technically already have my dream house, it just needs some work.
for anyone is interested it is at ************
No rub us please, we don't have anything of value anyway unless a bunch of old fans, TVs and lights is of interest, but don't rob us anyway.

Admin edit - Please don't post addresses or phone numbers publicly..!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:05:48 AM by sox35 » Logged
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #73 on: February 16, 2021, 10:00:27 PM » Author: Walter Knox
also forgot to mention, the house is heated and cooled by a gas pack, which used to be an old goodman from the 80s, but the people who had the house before us never ran a filter and the coil was clogged and the heat exchanger got too hot and cracked. Yes, i did clean the coils and the A/C part worked fine, but the heat did not. and the lady who lives there had a brand new unit installed. I would remove that and all the duct work, patch the holes in the floor from the vents and patch the hole in the foundation where the unit went through (it is block and would not be hard to do) quite honestly I don't like central air anyway, and especially for me who will live alone undoubtedly for the rest of my life, cooling and heating the whole house is wasteful anyway, I would have kept the old unit as it was vintage and had a nice reciprocating compressor, but that is gone. I already have a collection of vintage window air conditioners and i much prefer them as well, so i would just put one of them in each room and only cool the room I am actively using, which mostly would be the living room. in the winter it never gets cold in north carolina, I keep the temperature at about 60 degrees Fahrenheit anyway (sorry I am a dumb american and don't know the other unit)  so normally I would not need much heat, and one of my many vintage space heaters in the bedroom would be just fine.
Pandariffic

View Posts
View Gallery

Goal: Light Design, Old Fixtures, Light Quality...

Re: What would you have in your dream house? « Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 02:15:45 PM » Author: Pandariffic
Imma edit this post for much better details
Outside
Pool Area
Full Outdoor Kitchen. Stone surrounding pool. Comfy chairs. Big table for eating.
Lighting...

Drive way with accent lighting.
8 car parking outside

Indoor
Living room - Lots of seats for Talking Mode (have a good convo.)
Movie Mode - Halogen 6k projector, surround sound. (watch a good movie)
Lighting...

Kitchen - Big table (everyone like to talk in the kitchen, Make it comfortable) smaller projector screen(not sure the use yet)
Lighting...

Bedrooms
Recessed incandescent cans
Sunrise Mode - Fixtures are scones to avoid harsh light on eyes. Super Low Kelvin, Low output for waking up.

Hallways/Stairs
Low output accent lights.
High output recessed for sometimes

Garage
3 car garage.
CMH for the cars

Workshop
High Ceilings
T3 Halogen downward, or spotlights for wallmount tools.
Incandescent over workbenches.
CMH for general lighting

Luminaries are beautiful.
Health benefits like incandescent. Dangers like LED
Proud my town is all HPS.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies