Author Topic: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast  (Read 521 times)
Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « on: February 12, 2018, 04:23:48 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
So today I got an email from ebays global shipping program saying my item may have a 3-5 delay due it it being potentially restricted. The tracking says that was 2 days ago (Feb 10) and today is saying customs labeling and documentation (Feb 12)  Has anyone else got that and what happened? Im worried that they will cease my item and I will have to get refunded.

Thing is I just want my item shipped without bs. It is an advance 39w magnetic metal halide ballast kit I ordered for use with my 50w MV lamps. I got a good deal on it, it was $80 total all in, considering everyone elses ads all want 200+ for the same 39w kits. To my knowledge , Canada does not have restrictions on pulse start gear for metal halide.

If ebays global program ' blusters ' this deal, I will be very upset as I will not be able to get another chance at a 39w ballast for a good price again. Especially since I will shutter my ebay account since I won't use them again in that case.

Just looking to see if anyone else has had scares like that and what the outcome was. Obviously this is my first encounter. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:25:38 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:53:15 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you buying a MH ballast to use with a MV lamp  Huh?

Sorry I can't help with the shipping question, it's never happened to me, I sometimes don't get updates for days on end, but the items have always arrived, hope yours does Smiley

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:58:10 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Good question - here's why.

Not sure about your side of the pond but 40/50w MV lamps and especially ballasts are rare here. I have lamps but the chance of finding the proper ballast is very slim. So what alot of us on here do is use the Metal Halide ballasts that have similar operating specs as the 40/50w MV lamps. In this case, a magnetic 39w MH ballast will run a 40/50w MV almost exactly as per the lamps spec. You do not need the ignitor to do this either so that just gets disconnected / removed entirely.

A 70w MH ballast will run a 100w Mercury lamp perfectly also and a 50w MH ballast will run a 75w Mercury as well. Hope this helps
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:05:18 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Fair enough, I've never used 50W MV lamps, the lowest I have is 80W and there are plenty of ballasts for them here. I suppose because we're 240V over here it's easier as all we generally need is a magnetic choke ballast.

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:35 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yes over there it is a bit different when it comes to ballast / lamp combinations!

Its just appalling that most of the ads on ebay want 200+ for the ballast I'm after so naturally Im pretty paranoid about bitney bowes global shipping program mucking up my deal
Lodge

View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:13:18 PM » Author: Lodge
Someone on LG also claimed those MH ballasts will also run a 35 watt LPS lamp as well.. Now I don't have any 35 tubes to verify this but the specs seem to be pretty close both are 600 mA I just don't know if the OCV will be high enough to reliably start them unaided..
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:34 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine

Someone on LG also claimed those MH ballasts will also run a 35 watt LPS lamp as well.. Now I don't have any 35 tubes to verify this but the specs seem to be pretty close both are 600 mA I just don't know if the OCV will be high enough to reliably start them unaided..
The striking voltage of a most LPS lamps is in the region of 450V, certainly the OCV of my leak transformer ballast is 500V. You would definitely need an ignitor.

Ria in Aberdeen

sol

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:32 PM » Author: sol
eBay has a list of restricted items. I don't think it is easy to find, but it exists. When eBay staff learn of such a listing, they usually remove it promptly. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Global Shipping Programme has restricted items too. I've never had any problems with that, though (and I'm in Canada). It it shows customs documentation and labelling, I would guess that it has passed whatever inspection 'restricted' items are seized, and that it went through. Why would they bother making customs labels if the item has to be held back before going to customs in the first place ? I would be very, very surprised if Canadian customs seized a 35W ballast. If you were importing a large number of high wattage ballasts, maybe, just maybe there would be a problem (and they most likely would have you flagged for other imports beforehand).

This list of restricted items changes, however. It used to be that key duplicating machines were not permitted (but you can buy key blanks, no problem. Go figure ! ). I once saw one that was newly listed and immediately purchased it. It went through the Global programme no problems.

Would you know by chance if that same seller has more 35W magnetic ballasts ? I can't seem to find a listing.
Lodge

View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:29 PM » Author: Lodge
Sometimes customs does have issue with large Capacitors, they seem to think every one is importing tasers, or some form of conductive energy weapon... But if it's properly tagged custom can just open it and google the part number to see it's a lighting ballast and they will drop a note in the box telling you they opened it for inspection, but I've never had one returned to the sender or taken away, they are legal to import and own... Maybe the sender marked the customs tag with the word "Mercury" light ballast, and they will have an issue with that, you can't airfreight anything mercury it causes unbelievable damage to aluminium air-frame parts so it's restricted, even the amount in small thermometer can present a huge hazard...

But there is no real restrictions on importing them, well not yet, but there is some coming http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/regulations-codes-standards/18453 but they are pretty straight forward,

A dealer who imports these products into Canada would include the following information on the customs release document:

name of product
model number
brand name
address of the dealer importing the product
purpose for which the product is being imported (i.e. for sale or lease in Canada without modification; for sale or lease in Canada after modification to comply with energy efficiency standards; or for use as a component in a product being exported from Canada)
sol

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 08:25:43 PM » Author: sol
It will be interesting to see the outcome of Lightingguy1994's situation.
Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:13:58 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I will keep you guys posted. So far its status is ' Customs Documentation and labeling'. What bothered me was it sent emails about the delay and the customs at the same time today, but ebays tracking says the delay was on the 10th so idk
Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:56 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Okay got an email this morning saying its shipped from the global shipping center. Unless it turns up as an empty box, all should be well.

Was just worried because ive never encountered errors in my shipping before.

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 08:44:30 PM » Author: 589
Don't be surprised if your box looks like it was used as a soccer ball. Not a fan of eBay GSP, 7 of 10 parcels I received from UK eBay GSP were smashed VERY badly. Five of those had damaged or busted fixtures or lamps. eBay rests all the responsibility of its program on the seller if the item has shipping damage. 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

My family and I have used the GSP to ship sold items internationally with good success though. I haven't shipped to the UK yet.

Low Pressure Sodium

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 08:50:12 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I heard alot of people have problems with shipping to and from the UK, where their bulbs were ruined by mishandling. Don't think that will be the case for me as my parcel is coming in from the states and so far i haven't run into any shipping issues with anything I've bought before.

So far my item has made it to Canada now and may likely be out for delivery tomorrow or Friday.

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Ebay buying - GSP says delay due to potential restriction ?? MH PS ballast « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 09:12:31 PM » Author: 589
Good to hear! Hey at least you're getting a ballast. It's much more resilient than a sox lamp Smiley

Low Pressure Sodium

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines