Author Topic: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation?  (Read 1974 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « on: February 08, 2018, 06:05:56 AM » Author: dor123
During the mid-20th century, a refrigerator in Israel, commonly referred as "Frigider" (פריג'ידר)(From the Romanian word "Frigider"). When I asked in the talk page of the article of refrigerator in the Hebrew Wikipedia, if there is a relation between the Romanian term "Frigider" and it Hebrew counterpart "פריג'ידר", and the name of Frigidaire corporation, considering Frigidaire isn't so popular here in Israel, and I don't know what is the popularity of this brand in Romania, one of the operators, said that he assuming that in Romania, the name "Frigider" derived from "Frigidaire".
So I'm wondering if the English term "Fridge" for a refrigerator, also derived from the brand of Frigidaire?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:56:33 AM » Author: sol

So I'm wondering if the English term "Fridge" for a refrigerator, also derived from the brand of Frigidaire?

I believe it is the opposite. In French, it is common to say Frigidaire when talking about any refrigerator, regardless of the brand. Doing so is technically improper unless the brand is really Frigidaire, but it is widely used. It is the same as saying Electrolux instead of vacuum cleaner, or Kleenex instead of paper tissue.

The word fridge comes from the Latin 'refrigeratio' which means to lower the temperature, to chill. That word is way older than the brand name.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:57:12 AM » Author: sol
And the word 'fridge' is really a shortened form of 'refrigerator'.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:22 AM » Author: dor123
Thanks. I also didn't know that the brand Frigidaire is a generic trademark for refrigerator in French. But to Hebrew, I think that the Hebrew word "פריג'ידר", actually came from the Romanian "Frigider" and not from French, as The number of French people that came to Israel, is far less than the number of Romanian people, which most of them, came during the mass immigration after The establishment of Israel at 1948.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:21:23 PM » Author: sol
The Romanian word most likely comes from the Latin root as well. 
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:01:30 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It is the same as saying Electrolux instead of vacuum cleaner.
I generally use the word Hoover to describe a vacuum cleaner, and say hoovering for the act of using the vacuum cleaner.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:50:21 AM » Author: tolivac
"Electrolux" for vacuum cleaner-"Skilsaw" for any hand held circular saw,"Kleenex" for tissue papers.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:07:26 AM » Author: sol
I've known people to use Hoover for a vacuum cleaner, however using Electrolux is more common.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is the term "Fridge" derived from Frigidaire corporation? « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:58 AM » Author: funkybulb
Heck i even cll the refrigerator “ice  box”

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies