Author Topic: Who here does soldering?  (Read 6124 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Who here does soldering? « on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:24 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I do a bunch of soldering. Soldering electronics, and soldering wire joints. Do you like to solder electronics, like I do? Plus what soldering iron and what type of solder material, do you use?

For me, I use a Hakko fixed temperature soldering iron with conical tip, and I use lead free based solder. Whats yours?  ;D

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:23 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I Solder

I use a 120W Craftsman iron and both leaded and unleaded solder.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:44 PM » Author: 589
I have a cheap weller iron and only use lead solder.

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:28:20 PM » Author: Ash
I do soldering ! Mostly wires and electronic components, but also did some chip replacements

I have a "simple" (but not cheap or nasty) iron at home and a thermostatic soldering station at the workplace. In the previous one it was a Weller WD1000, in this one a Hakko 888 (real Hakko, not a clone). They both are good stuff. I am occasionally looking through 2nd hand lists to snatch a soldering station for home on the cheap (i'd prefer a used original over a new clone from Ebay)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 04:44:44 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Nice! I also have a Weller soldering iron, a old one, in its original packaging! I have not used the old one yet.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:18:15 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My soldering gun actually looks like a gun with a trigger and at the end there is just a thick metal that does a u bend. It is an induction powered one so theres a magnetic ballast that makes this wire get hot or something. Its neat and you just press and hold the trigger and it will heat up the u bend and in under a minute its ready. I don't know the brand as it doesn't say..

Not the greatest for small tiny soldering needs but does well for normal and larger but I plan to get a real soldering station someday

Administrator #5

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:07:54 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Oh I didn't know that it has a inductor that heats the tip, I got to go find it. Its in the storage bin somewhere.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:50 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Oh is yours the shape of a gun ? I looked up soldering gun on google and it turned up a bunch of weller soldering guns and they look almost exactly like mine. the part with the u bend seems to be removable by loosening 2 screws. They work great but not for small tiny jobs

Administrator #5

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:11 PM » Author: Lodge
My favorite soldering iron is a Butane powered Cheapy from Amazon the Iso-tip it'll run for half an hour before needing to be refilled, with no wires in the way it has a little built in stand that flips out and will solder small SMD stuff and for larger stuff it has a torch tip on it and it fits in your pocket so you can take it to go.. But I do have a plug in Weller when I feel like dragging it out or if it's something I'll be working on for hours..

For solder I like MG Chemicals 96.3% tin, 0.7% copper, 3% silver, but anything that will consume lots of solder it gets 63% Tin, 37% Lead solder..
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 02:31:11 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Oh is yours the shape of a gun ? I looked up soldering gun on google and it turned up a bunch of weller soldering guns and they look almost exactly like mine. the part with the u bend seems to be removable by loosening 2 screws. They work great but not for small tiny jobs

Yes it is, I just looked at it. I'll wait till my current one, which is the Hakko iron, dies. Then i'll use the Weller one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:34:10 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:35:23 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
My favorite soldering iron is a Butane powered Cheapy from Amazon the Iso-tip it'll run for half an hour before needing to be refilled, with no wires in the way it has a little built in stand that flips out and will solder small SMD stuff and for larger stuff it has a torch tip on it and it fits in your pocket so you can take it to go.. But I do have a plug in Weller when I feel like dragging it out or if it's something I'll be working on for hours..

For solder I like MG Chemicals 96.3% tin, 0.7% copper, 3% silver, but anything that will consume lots of solder it gets 63% Tin, 37% Lead solder..

Theres also rechargeable soldering irons. Not just butane ones.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 05:57:46 PM » Author: Lodge
Theres also rechargeable soldering irons. Not just butane ones.

There is but then you have to spend hours recharging the batteries, vs refilling a butane one which only takes like 30 seconds, and I like the pencil tip torch for soldering heavier wires like 10 AWG and for what I paid I can't complain and I only use like one can of butane a year in it..

And those gun style soldering units are good as well you can use thicker wire in place of the tip and make a hot knife to cut out Styrofoam with easy and other then the smell it's much cleaner, and with a little effort you can also use them to install plastic staples and repair broken plastic things.. 
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:51 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
@Lightingguy1994. Heres the Weller iron that I have, that is still in it's original packaging, however the packaging did seen better days.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:52 AM » Author: Ash
I'm on Butane too - with a Signet iron. But that one is for the times when i'm not soldering at the workbench
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 11:41:13 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
@Lightingguy1994. Heres the Weller iron that I have, that is still in it's original packaging, however the packaging did seen better days.

Yup mine looks very similar to that

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies