Author Topic: Who here does soldering?  (Read 6127 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 06:43:25 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've only ever used the electric soldering irons, but a butane one sounds as if it could be a good idea for doing a quick job without the need to set up everything.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:54 PM » Author: Rommie
I had a butane one once, don't know what happened to it, but it was useful for quick jobs without having to wait for the electric one to heat up.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 10:26:50 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Butane ones are faster at heating up. But induction ones take a minute, once the trigger has pressed.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:09 AM » Author: tolivac
Used to do soldering a lot---now with the transmitters not many soldered connectors in these-just bolted connectors with huge lugs!
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 01:13:10 AM » Author: funkybulb
My soldering iron is very cheap i call it the poor mans soldering iron. All it is 6 volt lantern battery and two aligator
Clips and 60/ 40 solder and a mechanical pencil lead as my iron. It heats up way faster than any other battery powered iron i ever seen. Plus u can control heat by
Adjusting lenth of pencil lead. I even solder dip package
IC with it  many times. U cant do that with a cold heat iron
That battery power weller yea u have wait 30 sec to heat up. But this take 5 to 10 secs to heat up. Lot time i do this method when do short soldering work. Time it takes my soldering iron heat up do few joints. Let it cool down and put it away. And i am done in 1/3 of time.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 01:22:47 AM » Author: Lodge
My soldering iron is very cheap i call it the poor mans soldering iron. All it is 6 volt lantern battery and two aligator
Clips and 60/ 40 solder and a mechanical pencil lead as my iron. It heats up way faster than any other battery powered iron i ever seen. Plus u can control heat by
Adjusting lenth of pencil lead. I even solder dip package
IC with it  many times. U cant do that with a cold heat iron
That battery power weller yea u have wait 30 sec to heat up. But this take 5 to 10 secs to heat up. Lot time i do this method when do short soldering work. Time it takes my soldering iron heat up do few joints. Let it cool down and put it away. And i am done in 1/3 of time.

Got a photo of it ? I've seen a diesel engine glow plug being used for this but never a pencil ...
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 01:36:57 AM » Author: funkybulb
If  you took a pencil lead across a 6 or 9 volt battery terminal u can get nice glow. But u dont need a glowing
Lead to melt solder.  So u just clip one lead to bit of solder
And the other lead on pencil about 2 inches for low heat
And shorter lenth to increase the temprature on the pencil
Led.  Also 1 inch number 2 pencil makes  good emergency
Incandescent lighting on 12 volt  battery.  until carbon get consume with air. Carbon is resistive but conductive.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:34 AM » Author: Medved
On butane soldering irons I'm strongly missing some a thermostat function. It does not have to be that much accurate at all, +/-25degC (for max to min gas flow or for the hysteresis thresholds) regulation range should be by far good enough while still possible to make in a simple, pure mechanical form (e.g. a bimetallic thing controlling the gas flow), but the existing ones are very very difficult to set so they have sufficient heating power when using and on the other hand wont overheat when idling for some minute or so. Mainly because the operating position tends to affect the gas flow rate in very unpredictable manner.
I may understand it is not present on the cheapest models, but the expensive ones may have tons of fancy features (integrated ignitor,...) but even a simple thermostat is still missing.

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:49 AM » Author: tolivac
Lamp battery soldering iron-at least with these no worry of induction into circuits as from AC powered soldering irons-interesting idea-would be good in emergencies as well.Some of the solder connections in the transmitters you use the small welding torch or the toolbox butane torch.both work in this situations.We have the small soldering irons and guns in the shop for PC board work.and solder suckers,too.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 10:43:45 PM » Author: Ash
Lamp battery soldering iron-at least with these no worry of induction into circuits as from AC powered soldering irons-interesting idea-would be good in emergencies as well.Some of the solder connections in the transmitters you use the small welding torch or the toolbox butane torch.both work in this situations.We have the small soldering irons and guns in the shop for PC board work.and solder suckers,too.
Direct connection of low impedance 6VDC source into the base of some BJT, or to data pin of some IC while its VCC is not powered, and possibly in the reverse polarity, will damage them much more readily than microAmperes of induced current
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:11 PM » Author: funkybulb
Yes been doing this merhod  for a while and all i am doing is 1 pin at time on Dip IC. If i am n space too tighrt where
I can touch both pins at same time then it going to be a
Problem. And i am soldering some Cmos chips
Even using this method doing one pin at a time

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 03:18:53 AM » Author: Ash
Depending on how you solder, you might apply the voltage momentarily between a pin and its PCB pad (while they are not yet connected to each other), closing the circuit through the component, some other pin, and the PCB tracks instead of directly through the pin which you are soldering
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 07:16:16 AM » Author: Rommie
@Lightingguy1994. Heres the Weller iron that I have, that is still in it's original packaging, however the packaging did seen better days.
They're certainly good irons, but a little OTT for PCB work  :D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 02:43:31 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
You have the same one that has a trigger, @MissRiaElaine?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:47 PM » Author: Rommie
You have the same one that has a trigger, @MissRiaElaine?
I did have one a while ago, but not now. I only have a couple of 15W Antex irons, one of which is 12V for use in the car (when I had one..!). I don't do all that much now, when I first got my amateur radio licence I was building all sorts of stuff, but then other things tended to take over, not least of which was resurrecting my lighting collection after many years away from it.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies