Author Topic: Who here does soldering?  (Read 6135 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 04:41:25 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I didn't know you have a 12v soldering iron. Is it good?  :)

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 05:18:51 PM » Author: Rommie
I didn't know you have a 12v soldering iron. Is it good? :)
Just the same as a normal one, just a different supply voltage :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 02:17:59 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I do soldering when I need to. I have both a butane and regular 240v soldering iron and use whatever is convenient.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:32 AM » Author: tolivac
Solder guns and Sensitive circuit boards-knew someone that tried using a soldering gun on a board that has COMOS devices-they were blown from the induction effects from the solder gun-there is a VERY strong AC electromagnetic field around the solder gun tip.Have seen warnings NOT to use soldering guns on boards-only pencil type irons with grounded tips-and the tip energized from a LV power supply.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 04:58:33 AM » Author: Ash
The real problem is most likely unearthed iron and capacitive (or resistive, if isolation is compromised) leakage from 230V line power to the tip

The advantage of LV soldering irons is not as much the LV itself, but the fact that they can be left unearthed without resulting in the same leakage. This means, that the iron does not hard short to Earth everything you touch with it - So it might prevent damage when you handle the board and somehow you are at some potential, or when the board is still energized (something as trivial as a CMOS backup supply battery or charged capacitor in there)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who here does soldering? « Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 06:16:48 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Guys my tip of my Hakko iron is starting to get some of the residue, and i'am cleaning it with the gold tip cleaner. Should I get a new tip?

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies