Author Topic: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight  (Read 2848 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « on: May 23, 2018, 11:19:54 PM » Author: High Intensity
So a few days ago, i posted this photo of a shoplight that i found which had a badly bunt ballast.
Now i'm wondering if anyone knows how to clean the soot and stuff so i can make this shoplight mostly clean since i've never had to clean something this bad.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:23:59 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've never really cleaned out soot... I usually always just leave it... I do clean dust and mold though.. Usually I'll use bleach or dish soap... Or both..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 12:00:47 AM » Author: High Intensity
The soot has some weird smell that gives me a headache which is part of the reason why i want to get rid of it (also it may have PCB's mixed in).

I wonder if steel wool would help at all.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:46:52 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
First step, Get some brake cleaner, clean use that and a wire brush and have at it.  Then rinse well, dry, then use some steel wool, and have at it.  Then rinse, dry, then go get yourself some good spray paint and coat the sucker a few times.  Should be good to go then. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:16:05 AM » Author: Ash
Sodium Hypochlorite based cleaning substances (many bleaches, degreasers, etc) do good job on cleaning out "yellowing" of many luminaires, they might work here too. Beware that they also wipe out any etches
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning and fixing an old shoplight « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:42 AM » Author: High Intensity
Just got done with the cleaning part, i noticed the fluorescent tube holders are all GE made.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies