Author Topic: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before?  (Read 4666 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced befo « Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 06:20:26 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
We're lucky here that we don't get brown outs and very few power outages, I think that since I moved here we have only had 2 or 3 power cuts in the past 24 years. :)

Then your power system in your neighborhood is underground, mine is both underground and overhead, which is weird because thats how the power company, which is Center Point Energy designed it. Dispite that my neighborhood and other neighborhoods in my area, are all in the same power line circuit, which causes sometimes power outages.

Two houses in my neighborhood have back-up standby natural gas generators which kicks in when theres a power outage. And all that does is theres a transfer switch that switches to utility power, to generator power for the house. Oh yeah those generators are made by Generac.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:15:55 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:37 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well last summer the power went out for about a week if I remember right because of the hurricane we had. And in 2004 it was out for two weeks after one of the hurricanes we had and then after another hurricane later that summer it went out for another week.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16:32 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Living in a rural area we get the odd power outage here and there, mainly due to weather. I don't have a backup generator.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 04:28:29 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Well last summer the power went out for about a week if I remember right because of the hurricane we had. And in 2004 it was out for two weeks after one of the hurricanes we had and then after another hurricane later that summer it went out for another week.
There's something to be said for living off grid then... :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35:21 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Not unless you have your back-up standby generator running 24/7. :P.If it's natural gas.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 10:07:54 PM » Author: CEB1993
When my grandparents' house got struck by lightning a few years ago, the results were strange.  First of all, it did not make the whole house lose power.  There was a hugh "CRASH!" when the lightning hit the roof.  Afterwards, the only two (totally unrelated) items in the house that were damaged were the garage door motor and the computer monitor.  The garage door motor, and its light were fried, and the computer screen was toast.  I wonder if the circuit breaker that controls the side of the house with the bonus room and the garage was tripped.  Surge protectors are really worthwhile for your computers, iPhones, etc.  ;)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 02:37:41 AM » Author: dor123
The computer would damaged even if being connected to the surge protector, as it isn't capable to absorb such high amount of energy directly from lightning, and it may cause fire, if its surge components aren't thermally protected.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What is the weirdest power outage or brownout that you ever experienced before? « Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 09:59:39 AM » Author: dor123
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-178182
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-178183
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-178184
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-178181

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies