Author Topic: Vent caps and air conditioning vents  (Read 2063 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Vent caps and air conditioning vents « on: March 17, 2018, 05:04:05 PM » Author: Cole D.
As a kid I had a fascination with vent caps on roofs, like the ones put on top of gas heater or water heater vents. I still do sometimes.

I also was fascinated with the round air conditioning vents sometimes seen in homes and the large ones seen in stores. Some stores in my area still have them.

I was wondering if anyone else likes these things.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:52:56 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Not particularly. But I have always liked those spinning cowls or what ever those wind rotating things are called, the ones that spins in the wind and generate more draft to the duckt. Those are not too common here but I have always wanted to get one just to test how it works.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:10:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I like those weird spinny things that you see on top of buildings sometimes... the ones that are on the end of chimneys..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:11:58 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
They're called turbines, those spinning things.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:16:20 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:24:13 PM » Author: Cole D.
I used to like those turbines also, but I rarely see them anymore. I never saw one on a chimney before, but when I was a kid I used to think that those caps with screens on chimneys were actually fans.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 11:40:48 PM » Author: Lumex120
I used to like those turbines also, but I rarely see them anymore. I never saw one on a chimney before, but when I was a kid I used to think that those caps with screens on chimneys were actually fans.
Those things are everywhere here. I call them "whirlybirds" as does everyone I know.

Unofficial LG Discord

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 11:43:40 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Those things are everywhere here. I call them "whirlybirds" as does everyone I know.

LOL!

Yeah thats another name to call them. Usually the formal name is "turbine". But yeah thats another name to call those turbines. lol

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 12:15:39 AM » Author: Mercurylamps

We call those whirlybirds in Australia. I'm not sure how they work, I believe that the rising hot air makes the vented part spin round.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:08:14 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup the turbines are not very effective unless maintained properly which never happened.  There are other more efficient ventilation methods, however I still like seeing the turbines. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 12:23:48 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well the turbines exhausts the air from the attic of the house. It comes in from the vents which they're located on the underside edge of the roof, if you look out a window, and look up the edge of the house you'll find vents that takes in the air. As that comes in the air circulates the attic, and then escapes from the turbines, which they spin.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 12:30:01 PM » Author: dor123

I've seen these here in Israel, but they seem to become extinct here. Are these motor powered?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:30 PM » Author: Cole D.
No motor, at least the ones I saw, they are powered by the rising heat as someone else said, but I guess the wind could move them too if it caught the louvers.
These things aren't seen here at all anymore. I saw them blown away by hurricanes and they never really came back, I don't even remember seeing them in stores, but I haven't looked for them either.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 02:14:06 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Hardware stores still sells roof turbines, but only online. I don't remember seeing them in-store.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Vent caps and air conditioning vents « Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:24:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I can't remember the last time I saw one of these this side of the pond. ???

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies