Author Topic: Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent...  (Read 2024 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent... « on: March 14, 2018, 01:46:28 PM » Author: ace100w120v
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/10/23/near-infrared-led-lighting.aspx

Interesting read.  I would usually assume this kind of thing is all hype but unlike most clickbait news articles found floating around Facebook (where this was found) it actually gives legitimately long explanations and cites technical aspects.  I haven't fully fact-checked it, but it seems fairly credible.

Of course, I also think that LED lighting hasn't been around all that long, so it's not surprising that we're just starting to get to observe and study its potential unintended effects, i.e eyestrain and melatonin production disruption. 

I might go back to clear incandescent though...now I have an excuse...

Of course, do your own research and make your own decisions on what is ideal for you.  Just an interesting article I found I thought I'd share.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent... « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:47:01 PM » Author: Rommie
It's certainly an interesting read, but like any of these so-called 'scientific' based articles, it should be taken with a generous pinch of salt.

Every day I see newspaper articles saying something (such as alcohol, or red meat, etc.) is bad for you, then a few days later another article comes along saying it's actually good for you, and so on and so forth.

I'm always interested in factual information, but I don't take anything I read at face value.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent... « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:36 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/10/23/near-infrared-led-lighting.aspx

I might go back to clear incandescent though...now I have an excuse...

They seem to be rare beasts though these days unfortunately.  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent... « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:24 PM » Author: Lumex120
I have heard that site isn't known for being the most truthful, but if this is true it wouldn't surprise me. Then again, my house is now 90% LED so if it is...

Unofficial LG Discord

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Perhaps another excuse to go back to incandescent... « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:17:03 PM » Author: CEB1993
This is a really interesting article, Andy.  Thank you for sharing!

My takeaway from this article is that LED's naturally produce blue light regardless of their advertised color temperature, and they produce far less heat (mid and far-infrared waves).  There is also much less near-infrared radiation emitted by LED's, which is present in incandescent lighting.

This makes sense, because I find myself having tired eyes when under the light of LED bulbs, due to the lack of infrared radiation, as the article mentions.  It's really fascinating how the lack of infrared radiation presumably makes the human body function and produce energy less efficiently (leading to fatigue and headaches).  I would like to see more research and objective experimentation done on the comparison between LED and incandescent in relation to metabolism and overall health.  It makes me wonder if there is a way to eliminate all blue wavelengths of light from LED lamps.  Perhaps a more advanced fluorescent layer on newer bulbs will more effectively filter out the blue.  What about red LED "party bulbs" or red LED's on Christmas tree lights?  Do they emit any blue radiation?  I do recall on a strand of colored Christmas tree lights last year how much disproportionately brighter the blue LED bulbs appeared than the other colors.  I could tell by that how intense and harmful blue LED light can be.

I am about 90% incandescent and halogen in my house.  This article has made more skeptical of LED lighting, and I will especially keep it out of my bedroom.  I am partial to the beautiful 100 CRI light from halogen lamps and the warm, infrared emitting glow of incandescents  8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:19:29 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies