Author Topic: Wireless communication loss  (Read 1572 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Wireless communication loss « on: March 26, 2018, 09:48:38 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I like to know why is weather station losing signal at the day before? Because I tried everything but nothing seems to get signal, plus its away that might cause interference. Why is it losing signal? But then its back after 2 days of signal loss. Why is that?  ???

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:28:14 PM » Author: Cole D.
Have you checked the batteries? When my station lost signal, it was because it needed new batteries outside.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:35:35 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
The batteries were fine, when I checked it.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:44:58 AM » Author: Medved
What is the outside temperature?
Many batteries loose power at low temperatures, it is mostly notable below freezing, but even above the difference uses to be quite significant.
So the batteries may be still good, but just their performance deteriorates at cold.

Other possible cause could be a humidity: I assume the signal has to travel through some walls. Normally, when everything is dry, the signal may be just sufficient, so it works. Then when some material sucks in some humidity, it causes RF attenuation and the signal then drops below the minimum level necessary for successful data transmission. I would guess, when you will hook up the oscilloscope directly on the receiver demodulator comparator, you will see quite a lot of disturbance even when it "works".
The thing is, the sets usually do not feature any means of signal quality indication, so you do not know, how much RF margin you have. Normally they work seemingly fine even when 4/5 of the packets are getting lost. The problem is, when this figure becomes worse, they loose synchronization  and that means communication loss.To save receiver battery, the receiver module is ON, so able to receive anything only brief time around the expected data transmission packet, all that design assumes the next packet will be transmitted after exactly defined time, the timers are then synchronized with each transmission. The problem is, when you get transmission errors (due to weak signal,...), the resynchronization does not happen, so with even slight mismatch between the receiver vs transmitter mismatch the receiver turn ON window misses the transmission packet and that means the communication gets lost.
The problem may get worse with extreme temperatures with yet another reason: The crystal frequencies tend to drift a bit with temperature, both the carrier frequency, as the main sequence controller (timing the transmission windows). At normal temperatures there is quite perfect match, so the reciever is perfectly tuned, as well as the synchronization get lost after way longer time after last resynchronization, so allows higher fraction of lost packets without loosing the sync. At extreme temperatures the carrier shifts, so the receiver becomes less sensitive, plus in case of packet loss the synchronization get lost way quicker. Both leads to more likely loss of connection from the sensor to the indoor unit.

No more selfballasted c***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:06:50 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
@Medved, the temperature outside was 78F degrees. And humidity was 81% relative, at that time when it lost signal. Its working now. Could it been Solar Flares from the Sun, which also blocks radio communication, although I doubt it would've been.  :-\

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:22:34 PM » Author: Medved
What was the humidity at night, wasnt there any condensation?
The wheather effects on the wall humidity changes (so the signal loss) could have even a day lag behind the actual weather changes.

Or the communication may just not work with direct signal, but only via a reflection from something (or be influenced by that reflection). If that something is e.g. a car used daily, the connection may depend on the exact parking position. So as you park every day a bit differently, the signal may vary as the result.

I think generally even at times when it seems to work the signal is very likely marginal in the first place, so just a slight condition change (whatever it is) causes it to drop just below the threshold meaning work/not work difference...
It is the general tendency of any digital link to exhibit very steep "cliff": Very small difference in signal conditions causes a difference between normal, full spec operation and not working at all. So I think you are just experiencing this "cliff" effect...

No more selfballasted c***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wireless communication loss « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:11 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Probably, the frequency on the weather station is 433Mhz, for long range than other weather stations that have frequencies to 915Mhz, which is short range.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies