Author Topic: Cheers from Italy  (Read 1504 times)
GabryJ84

View Gallery

Cheers from Italy « on: April 01, 2018, 03:57:54 PM » Author: GabryJ84
Hi there!

My name is Gabriel ad I'm from Italy.

Since when I was 4, I begun looking upwards and asking myself what that strange first-purple-then-blueish lamp was and how was it possible to achieve that thing since all the lamps I was able to turn on were a simple on-off matter.
Then growing up I answered myself that question thanks to an electrician who introduced me into the discharge lamps world. I was 12 and the only thing I knew was that I needed 4 different lamps and 4 different ignitors, that were not compatible between them but at least I had my "strange lamps" all for myself.
Then, at university I begun understanding all the "behind the scenes", the inner workings of all the process included, but not limited to, why it was necessary to have an ignitor, a ballast and, the most satisfying thing, all that "chemical thing" that made me fall in love with discharge lamps.

What made the difference bewteen just loving discharge lamps and own only a few coupples of lamp/ballast/ignitor, and actually owning some lanterns, was the recent switching, in both my hometown and the town I live in since 2003, from discharge lamps to LED illumination.

I then subsequently contacted the company in charge with replacing the lanterns and, after an agreement with the technical employes in my town I was able to save from scrapping a quite satisfying number of different lanterns (90% of the types used).
Unfortunetely, I was unable to save 2 or 3 types, which I am currently researching elsewhere (I'll post in the request section) but the majority of them have been saved.

The only bad part of all of this is that the company was not that happy to help me save the lanterns and the only thing that forced them to abide the request, was that the lanterns are property of my town, so they just simply could not refuse what they've been asked for.
This meant that I had to pick up every lantern from a scrapping container hoping that the throw they had been subjected to did not shatter the fragile glass or plastic bowl.
This happened a great deal of times, but I can say that I have at least 1 plastic/glass bowl per type, so I will be able to replicate broken ones.

At this time, I succesfully own (and will publish in a near future, after all the lanterns will have been washed, eventually repaired, and put in good working conditions) are:

4 PHILIPS SGS201/400: 1 is in good conditions, 2 are in fairly precarious conditions and 1 is missing his bowl
8 PHILIPS SGS201/250: 2 are in good conditions, the other 6 are in good conditions but are missing the bowl. They will be re-done from a vacuum-molded plastic sheet unless someone can point me to towns/companies that can supply spare ones.
7 PHILIPS SGS204: 4 are in good conditions, 3 are missing the bowl
8 PHILIPS SGS203-150: all in good conditions (with 1 or 2 spare bowls) and with rounded bowl. 2 of them have flat glass (+ one spare)
3 PHILIPS SGS203-70: all in good conditions (* Here in my town, the SGS201 new version had never been installed. Instead SGS203 were used, with a 70W SON-T lamp)
1 PHILIPS SGS253: in good conditions
4 SIEMENS 5NA-550: all in good conditions with 1 or 2 spare bowls
4 SIEMENS 5NA-555: all in good conditions
3 SIEMENS 5NA-576: 2 are in good conditions, 1 is missing polycarbonate bowl and frame. They promised my that they will save one bowl and frame for me.
3 SIEMENS 5NA-540: all in good conditions with 1 spare reflector
3 POLLICE UNIVERSO 3: all in good conditions. The model I have has flat glass, but I'm into the process of saving some more units of this type with rounded bowl.
2 AEC ILLUMINAZIONE ROMA: in good conditions with plastic half-bowl
2 PHILIPS HSVO250: in good conditions with 2 spare glass bowls
6 ZERBETTO LERICI: in good conditions: this model has been installed without glass in nearly all the streets of my town. there were some with glass which I have not been able to save. The company "Zerbetto" has been informed and they said we can make an agreement to have some drawings of the glass and mounting brackets so I can complete my collection.

added to that, I do have some more lanterns which I don't know the producer and/or the model:

1 FIDENZA VETRARIA (unknown model with HPM lamp)
4 FIVEP (unknown model with HPM lamp)
2 ZERBETTO (unknown model with sox lamp)
4 unknown producer (unknown model): these 4 are neon lamps which were installed in my town in the early '50 and stayed that way untill 2018.
4 FAIR ILLUMINAZIONE (unknown model): same as above
1 POLLICE NAUTILUS: same as above

More lanterns will come, and they will be basically from Italian producers.

If you can, please read my request post in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks to all
Gabriel
MissRiaElaine
Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:37:34 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Hi Gabriel, and welcome to the madhouse that is LG  Cheesy

You certainly have a lot of lanterns, we'll look forward to seeing photos of them. Where do you store them all..? You must have plenty of space available, here in our 1-bedroom flat we would never be able to have anywhere near that many  Shocked

Personally, I am more interested in the lamps themselves, rather than lanterns and fixtures, so that does give me a little more room to store them, although it can get a bit tight at times..! My favourite types of lamp are low pressure sodium and mercury vapour, and I have been fortunate to acquire some good examples of both.

Hope to hear from you soon,
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:57:08 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Welcome to LG! , My interest lies in building lanterns. I do collect fixtures when conditions permit, but most of the time I home build my lights. I tend to collect the actual light sources more than I collect lanterns, then I build around those light sources. I still have yet to acquire LPS lighting tech....

--Owen

High Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps (Duh lol) Cool High Pressure Sodium

High Pressure Sodium Sodium lighting is king!

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 05:25:59 AM » Author: rjluna2
Welcome aboard, Gabriel Smiley

I remember the same thing when I was a child looking up the lights.  It was one summer of 1973 when the show was over at the school gym area, the incandescent light bulbs came on.  However, it was turning to bluish colour illuminating in a short while.  It was years later that I realised it was self-ballasted Mercury Vapor bulb.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

GabryJ84

View Gallery

Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 02:55:26 PM » Author: GabryJ84
Where do you store them all..?
At the moment, they are in my grandmother's canteen, onto some shelves, but in the near feature, I'm going to move them to a garage I rented to keep other objects (I'm a rail fan too and I have some railways interlocking components).

My favourite types of lamp are low pressure sodium and mercury vapour

I love them too, especially LPS. They have a slow startup and you can enjoy them throughout all the period, from dim pink to full bright yellow. I'have been fortunate enough to purchase the last 5 180W lamps I found, since both OSRAM and PHILIPS stopped producing them. (70$ each). I hope to find some more, because they wont be available in the next years.
For HPM, I'm a bit lost since they can't be sold anymore in the EU so I'm looking on some websites to buy some examples of all wattages, otherwise I wont be able to light my fixtures.

My interest lies in building lanterns. I do collect fixtures when conditions permit, but most of the time I home build my lights. I tend to collect the actual light sources more than I collect lanterns, then I build around those light sources. I still have yet to acquire LPS lighting tech....

This is what I'll try to do somewhere in the near future. The problem is that I'm not that fond in Aluminum casting or e-poxy work, so I must first learn how to do that. Maybe I'll do some practice when repairing my fixtures and then I'll move onto developing new ones from scratch.

It was one summer of 1973 when the show was over at the school gym area, the incandescent light bulbs came on.  However, it was turning to bluish colour illuminating in a short while.  It was years later that I realised it was self-ballasted Mercury Vapor bulb.
Same here, but in 1990. They were suspended ZERBETTO (I've not been able to save them since the company that replaced fixtures with led decided to keep them operative, since there is no valid alternative. They weight less than the lighter LED fixture available and the cables sustaining them would not be able to stand extra weight).
wide-lite 1000

View Gallery

Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:58 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Welcome!
Miss Cuddly
Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:01:57 PM » Author: Miss Cuddly
Hi Gabriel,

You are one lucky chap to get all of those lanterns, welcome to the community.  Cool
magslight

View Gallery

Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:08:34 AM » Author: magslight
Welcome Gabriel!

I also collect streetlights and I know how hard it is to get spare parts for old lanterns especially the fragile glasses. Not to mention getting some information about vintage luminaires.
I think you're right here and maybe some collectors here can help you. Just upload some photos and you'll see  Wink

Greetings from Germany
Michael
marcopete87

View Gallery

Re: Cheers from Italy « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 01:36:05 PM » Author: marcopete87
Ciao Gabriele!
Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines