Author Topic: RESTORATION PROJECT! AEI Amber Minor  (Read 3653 times)
d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
RESTORATION PROJECT! AEI Amber Minor « on: April 07, 2018, 01:26:23 PM » Author: d3anio97
Here's one you'll love. I have an old AEI amber minor that I'm in the process of restoring to as factory fresh as I can possibly get.

I've posted a few updates on ATL and that's where it's mostly gonna stick since you can post multiple images at the same time there, which has proven infinitely useful as you will see from this link:

http://www.allthingslighting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3659&p=20892#p20892

I'll be posting updates here too, of course, but I won't be able to go as picture-happy as I do on ATL.

Current progress on the lantern:

> I'm looking at control gear and found a leak transformer for 40w SOI lamps if I decide to gear the lantern. Likely the exact same as what would be in this lantern when it was new.

> Gave the whole thing an initial wash with degreaser to get all the cobwebs and dirt off the internals

> Stuck a lamp in it and checked the socket was working

> cleaned up the canopy and made it look almost brand new with a very light sand and a polish with some brasso

> Ordered supplies to be able to strip and clean the gear tray as upon visual inspection it's in surprisingly good condition with only mild surface rust

> removed the perished seal and ordered some new neoprene to replace it with

> Found a company that is licensed to produce replacement refractors and messaged them. awaiting reply. (btw while I wait I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A REFRACTOR!! needs to be in good overall shape. I don't mind a tiny bit of yellowing due to the age of these fixtures!! Have one? message me!!)

> considering photocell options as I want to get a low profile one that will fill the hole in the canopy. hopefully not too expensive as I'm still not certain whether or not I'll be gearing this lantern yet!! something like a Royce Thompson P12HE would be a good start since the hole is about the right size for one.

> also looking into options for powder coating the gear tray. If it works out cheaper I may just prime and paint it with high temperature paints

> created a carbon copy of the original sticker that would be on the gear tray. I ordered some label paper to make it with (PNG below)and will be applying this once the gear tray has been refreshed.

random edit: Found a link to add more attachments... I'll take advantage of that for sure!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:30:09 PM by d3anio97 » Logged

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: RESTORATION PROJECT! AEI Amber Minor « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:52:07 AM » Author: d3anio97
Progress update:

I have the paint and the gear tray has been stripped. I have it dunked in rust remover to hopefully get rid of the tiny bits of surface rust. I will be checking on it tomorrow and will let you know how it looks.

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies