Author Topic: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen?  (Read 6007 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « on: April 08, 2018, 08:29:11 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Taken a while back during winter when it got to 10 deg f that morning and the CFL was about to give up  :D

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4719&pos=139&pid=140787

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:32:25 PM » Author: Lumex120
When it got to -25 here a while back the CFL in my garage wouldn't even start. It just glowed at the ends. It was instant start too.

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:02:14 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
at my old house, we have a couple of post top lights that have CFL's in them (they've had the same CFL's for 12 years now) they start, but take a while to warm up when it gets in the 10's of degrees... any higher and they're happy.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:14:01 PM » Author: Lumex120
at my old house, we have a couple of post top lights that have CFL's in them (they've had the same CFL's for 12 years now) they start, but take a while to warm up when it gets in the 10's of degrees... any higher and they're happy.
You have post lights? Lucky you, I have a 75w MV postline ballast I really want to put to use but I have nothing to put it in.

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:43:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
You have post lights? Lucky you, I have a 75w MV postline ballast I really want to put to use but I have nothing to put it in.

Well.. at my old house we do.. There is two, one on each side of the front side walk, then there is a security light in the back, which has had the same bulb for the past 40 years or so, still nice and bright, it is a NEMA  if I recall correctly. The house I live in currently has the security light (175W MV) which I recently fitted with a westy, Motion activated garage flood lights, fitted with 75Watters I believe (they are rarely used) then we got the ceiling mounted porch light up front, with a 13W 2700K CFL in it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:45:00 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 02:55:34 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Ive got a CFL in the light on my upstairs landing  in cold weather it would blow dimly and keep flashing bright for up to 30 seconds til it lit journal in more normal temperatures it flashes for maybe 5 seconds so it definitely struggled in the cold. Ive never known a CFL like this it starts more like a preheat its odd but I'm not complaining!
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:41:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Taken a while back during winter when it got to 10 deg f that morning and the CFL was about to give up  :D

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4719&pos=139&pid=140787
At that temperature I give up as well...  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 03:46:51 PM » Author: Rommie
At that temperature I give up as well...  :D
I give up a lot before that..! I'm distinctly uncomfortable at anything below 70°F (sorry, don't do °C)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 09:59:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: MissRiaElaine
I give up a lot before that..! I'm distinctly uncomfortable at anything below 70°F (sorry, don't do °C)
Then what happens to you when it gets down to... say the -10F to -20F range?? .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 09:09:18 AM » Author: Rommie
Then what happens to you when it gets down to... say the -10F to -20F range?? .lol.
Fortunately it doesn't get that cold here  ;D  Lowest we get is a few degrees below freezing sometimes in winter, but apart from that it's fairly ok most of the time. It gets as cold as I can tolerate here (with a thick coat on..!)

At -10 F I would curl up and hibernate  :o

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: What happens when you try to strike a CFL in Aspen? « Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 10:17:45 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Maybe sometime I'll post a video with a CFL trying to strike in a freezer that gets to temps 60 below zero!

I don't think any ballast can withstand -60 Deg F/not even the "cold start" ones

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies