Author Topic: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression?  (Read 11928 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:17:12 PM » Author: Lumex120

I, for one, could never even stand to go talk to a third-party counselor (Especially since many of the "problems" I deal with in my daily life are ones that most people wouldn't relate to, you have to have some of the odd experiences I have).  That said, go reach out to others you do trust. 

Could you maybe share some of those odd experiences? I'm curious to know if they are anything like mine.

Unofficial LG Discord

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:15:10 PM » Author: ace100w120v
OK, maybe personal wasn't the best word, but more like situational things in my discipline or line of non-paid work that you either "get" or you don't.  I may do a write-up elsewhere on some of it.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 09:14:46 PM » Author: suzukir122
One thing that really ramps up depression is no income while facing eviction, followed by
being saved by family when it's time to pay rent. I'm on my 6th month of being without a place
of work.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 01:20:01 AM » Author: Cole D.
Definitely. I first started dealing with it around my middle school years, so age 12 or so. It's come on and off since. I'm rather sensitive, so when I don't like how things are going around me, it can lead to depression. I also tend to overthing thinks so I often think people don't like me, or are angry with me, which makes it worse. Plus, I tend to imagine the worst case scenarios happening in the future, which also can be quite depressing, as the future can seem really sad and pointless.

I used to have a friend of two that I could talk about these things with, but I always felt I was telling them my fears and bad things, so I kind of stopped telling them anything.

The depression comes and goes. One day I will feel really good and then if I find out something bad or feel inferior somehow, it tries to come back.

I think helping others and getting out of your head, or routine a bit helps also. We forget about other things in the world and tend to focus only on our little area of life, at least I do.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 02:51:22 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Definitely. I first started dealing with it around my middle school years, so age 12 or so. It's come on and off since. I'm rather sensitive, so when I don't like how things are going around me, it can lead to depression. I also tend to overthing thinks so I often think people don't like me, or are angry with me, which makes it worse. Plus, I tend to imagine the worst case scenarios happening in the future, which also can be quite depressing, as the future can seem really sad and pointless.

I used to have a friend of two that I could talk about these things with, but I always felt I was telling them my fears and bad things, so I kind of stopped telling them anything.

The depression comes and goes. One day I will feel really good and then if I find out something bad or feel inferior somehow, it tries to come back.

I think helping others and getting out of your head, or routine a bit helps also. We forget about other things in the world and tend to focus only on our little area of life, at least I do.

It's funny you should mention how just one irritating event can "trigger" an episode.  Shoot, I just had an irritating one last night and haven't felt quite right for about the last 24 hours.  Especially since it involves debating whether or not to tell another individual some news they probably don't want to hear...

I also generally hate telling people about my "problems", per se, in general, so I'll share good news but not bad news, leading to an overaccumulation of "bad" information. 

Getting things off your chest can also really help, um, how should I describe this?  The very process of relating a story about something or telling someone about something helps (at least it helps me) mentally process things and come to terms with reality.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 08:51:18 PM » Author: CEB1993
I go through periods where I feel guilty for no specific reason, and feel as if everyone around me is disappointed in me.  I feel like I'm not doing enough to make my family and friends happy, and that living my life and seeing to my own wants and needs makes me appear selfish.  Times like this, I just like to be by myself, so no one will have to deal with me or any problems I may cause.  When I'm this down in the dumps and isolated, I lose hope in my future and think that it will be impossible for me to be successful later in life.  I let my mind wonder too often, and I imagine the worst case scenario, two or three years from now.  I admit, that I am a bit of a pessimist :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:00:57 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 03:22:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I suffered badly from depression when my daddy died, and it was through counselling that I got over it.

Oops, I forgot to say that the one thing that stops the depression from coming back is my wonderful wife Ria.  :-*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:26:48 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 03:28:41 PM » Author: Rommie
I suffered badly from depression when my daddy died, and it was through counselling that I got over it.

Oops, I forgot to say that the one thing that stops the depression from coming back is my wonderful wife Ria.
 :-*
Awwwwwww, thanks sweetheart  :-* :-* :-*

Hang on a minute.... you forgot  ??? ::) :P  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:08 AM » Author: BT25
Dive into some adventure storybook or anime series. Something big enough so that it takes a while to go through and you have your time to build your world in it

Getting lost in fantasy doesn't help in the long run. You're just kicking the can down the road...better to deal with it directly by seeking counseling, or other professional help. 

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 11:48:46 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Went through counseling and still depressed
My luck is great!

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 12:57:48 PM » Author: BT25
Went through counseling and still depressed
My luck is great!
I know someone who has dealt with depression for most of their life. It was due to how they were raised (overly dominating older siblings, who tried to be additional parents), and ideology from family members who thought that they 'knew better', and that you must be like them, and not be yourself. I've seen this in action, and it's just disgusts me. >:(

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 07:50:42 PM » Author: CEB1993
Not knowing for sure exactly how my future will play out and what will happen weighs me down with anxiety, undermined self confidence, and ultimately depression.  It’s like rewatching a recorded football game where you know that your home team wins in the end. When you rewatch it, you see the game in a different light, because you already know your team will win, regardless of the bad or good events leading up to it. With me, my “game” is going by one day at a time and there’s no way to see the future and if I’ll be happy or not then.  My definition of “winning” at life is complicated, but my most important priority is to just be joyful and happy someday.  Life can change in as little as one phone call and then everything as you know it is turned upside down. That’s what bothers me, is that there’s potential for something bad to happen every day, and I feel like I am on the defensive and that the world is a cruel and dangerous place. Some days it feels better to stay home and hide in my house, than to accept the fact that life is naturally full of unknowns and to truly “live” involves taking risks. I’ve been around the block with my fair share of depression, and have been hurt by a few people in the past.  They say that hurt people hurt others. That’s not the case with me  :) I do my best to move on from my toxic relationships and traumatic experiences, and do what I can to give back to my friends, family, and community. Doing kind, loving, and helpful things for others and opening my eyes to the kindness from others really helps with my apprehensive outlook and escape my depression.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:33:58 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:16 PM » Author: suzukir122
^^^ Ladies and gentlemen, that right there, is the kind of person we need more of. @CEB1993, I definitely wish
there were more people out there like you, of course, not just the passion for lighting, but personality wise in general.
Being kind and helping towards one another... those very few kind of people in life are what keep people like me from thinking
that everyone is heartless and careless. Those very few kind of people in life are what keeps me from thinking everyone is
exactly the same as each other. It's the good people that help me to also understand that maybe there is a Woman out there for me,
with this same kind of mentality that CEB has. Ahh, who knows... one thing I do know is that I'm in a terrible
situation right now... but the reminder that there are good people out there is sometimes uplifting.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:38 PM » Author: Rommie
Most people in the world are caring, it's just that those who aren't seem to shout louder  :(

Just try not to let them get on top of you; as the saying goes, don't let the b*****s grind you down  ;)

As I've said before, I'm no trained counselor, but I am a good listener if anyone ever wants a chat  :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone battled or (currently battling) depression? « Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
^^^ Ladies and gentlemen, that right there, is the kind of person we need more of. @CEB1993, I definitely wish
there were more people out there like you, of course, not just the passion for lighting, but personality wise in general.
Being kind and helping towards one another... those very few kind of people in life are what keep people like me from thinking
that everyone is heartless and careless. Those very few kind of people in life are what keeps me from thinking everyone is
exactly the same as each other. It's the good people that help me to also understand that maybe there is a Woman out there for me,
with this same kind of mentality that CEB has. Ahh, who knows... one thing I do know is that I'm in a terrible
situation right now... but the reminder that there are good people out there is sometimes uplifting.

Thanks Suzukir122  :) It’s really easy for me to slip into a period of depression, where I shut out all the great things life has to offer. I’ve realized this within myself, and have been taking action to escape from my occasional depression, that warps my whole view of this awesome world.  It’s all about how you approach and view life, because you always have control over your outlook on life.

In Victor Frankl’s book, Mans' Search for Meaning, he recounts his terrible and seemingly hopeless situation of being trapped in a German prison camp during WWII.  His moral of the story is that no matter how tragic the events are in your life, or how severely you might be oppressed, no one can take away your right and your ability to control how your view life, the attitudes you form, or your ability to always have faith and hope no matter what happens. A truly inspirational book!

I’m glad I can offer some encouragement during your challenges, Suzukir122.  I sincerely hope everything works out for the best for you and that you overcome your challenges!  Remember that every day might not be good, but there is some good in every day  :) Having a sense of hope and faith, and taking comfort in the fact that you try your best is something to remember during your challenges, too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:41:40 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies