Author Topic: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of..  (Read 2861 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « on: May 16, 2018, 04:41:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
LOL.. So.. Not to long ago 3 months or so, I discovered how to use "Tis" and "Twas" properly, and I thought "Hey this is a lot shorter and easier than typing "It is", "It's" or "It was" So I kinda started to throw those into my sentences a bit... I have not gotten any weird reactions YET... I figure people may find me a tad weird for using them but I don't generally care lol. Any fun words or phrases ya'll know of? expanding the vocab is always fun.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:42 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Instead of Probably I say prolly
That’s all I have for now
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:33:03 AM by F96T12 DD VHO » Logged

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:43:26 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There are a lot of sayings in the English language, particularly here in the UK, the origin of which has been totally lost but are still used.

Some of the sayings that we use come from naval terminology:

For example 3 square meals a day comes from the early days of the Royal Navy. Sailors were promised a square meal three times a day, food was served up on large square boards instead of plates, hence a 'square meal'

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:51:20 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
There are a lot of sayings in the English language, particularly here in the UK, the origin of which has been totally lost but are still used.

Some of the sayings that we use come from naval terminology:

For example 3 square meals a day comes from the early days of the Royal Navy. Sailors were promised a square meal three times a day, food was served up on large square boards instead of plates, hence a 'square meal'

That is a interesting one... I've heard my father say that a couple times... although he was in the American air force... perhaps he picked it up over seas...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:17 PM » Author: Rommie
One word I've picked up on since living in Scotland is 'blether' which is a Scots variant of blather, which means foolish, voluble talk. It's used here to mean idle chatter with friends when you meet them out and about.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 11:03:13 PM » Author: Cole D.
Being that I live in Florida, I'm sometimes exposed to multiple cultures and dialects. You can often find people in Florida in rural areas that use old expressions that come from a southern culture. While you also meet people that are from northern states and use those dialects and expressions, or even people from Latin America and the Caribbean. I have roots in the northeast so often I will hear people with southern roots use expressions I never heard even though I live in FL for so long. For example I heard the term "mullygrub" a while back which means feeling sorry for oneself or having a pity party. I think that's actually more of a term used in Louisiana but I could be wrong. To me I thought they were talking about some type of seafood.

A lot of language used in NE or midwest states would be odd to those who are from the southern states as well.

But I often hear that Florida is not really a southern state as much as AL, MS, LA, TX, TN, etc are.

I do love a lot of the expressions used in the UK and Ireland, not to mention some of the accents. I also like those from Australia a lot too.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:06:07 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've heard of three square meals, but I always figured it mean full balanced meals. Like for breakfast, ham and eggs and potatoes instead of just a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:34:16 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
But I often hear that Florida is not really a southern state as much as AL, MS, LA, TX, TN, etc are.
I do love a lot of the expressions used in the UK and Ireland, not to mention some of the accents. I also like those from Australia a lot too.

You would be correct that FL is not considered a southern state. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 09:58:58 PM » Author: wattMaster
You would be correct that FL is not considered a southern state. 
That's because it's so south, it's north.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:31 AM » Author: takemorepills
sigogglin or cattywampus....something not built correct or isn't lined up or straight.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 06:50:18 AM » Author: funkybulb
Down in Texas Coke means any soda
Then  person  go  do u DR pepper, cola,
Root beer?

Go get me that flash water-  it means Fly swatter

Blue northern,   Very strong  cold front

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:09:58 PM » Author: CEB1993
We have lots of regional sayings and words here in South Carolina that I use:

Y'all- You all/you guys
Coke- Any kind of soft drink
Pocketbook- Woman's purse
Fixin' to- Planning to
Caddycorner- Diagonally across from someplace
Gully washer- Sudden heavy rain shower that causes flooding
The devil beats his wife- It's raining while the sun shines at the same time
"Bless your heart"- A polite and sarcastic way to tell someone they are inept or misguided
Clicker- TV remote
Uppity- Snobby
Buggy- Shopping cart
Britches- Pants
Stinks to high heavens- Smells horrible
Supper- Dinner
Sweet Tea- Iced tea with plenty of sugar

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:43 PM » Author: CEB1993
I watch some British and Australian sitcoms, so sometimes some of those more refined sayings will slip out among my Southern drawl  ;D

Tend to- take care of something
Sort it out- figure it out
Cheers- Great or thank you
Dodgy- Creepy and unsafe (i.e. downtown at night)
Minging- Horrible smelling
Posh- Fancy
Dreadful- Terrible
Skive off- Slack off or not show up for work

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 12:59:46 PM » Author: Men of God
之乎者也,以及各种成语,《三字经》《弟子规》《诗经》《诗》《书》《礼》《易》《乐》(已失传)《春秋》...

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Interesting or old words (Or phrases) you know of.. « Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 07:51:55 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here's a nice Scots word for you:
Fankle, meaning to entangle.
Collins Dictionary definition

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies