Author Topic: Windmills  (Read 4593 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Windmills « on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:02 AM » Author: Cole D.
Does anyone like windmills or wind machines? I always liked pinwheels, windmills or anything that spun in the wind. At the end of my street, where the tree farm is/was there are two wind machines. I've looked at them up close and they have diesel engines on the ground. They haven't run in probably 15 years if not 20. As those orange groves haven't been used in quite a while.

There are also a few Aermotor pump windmills around, but most were in disrepair and gone now.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:30:58 AM » Author: tolivac
Yes,like the ones that were used on farms to pump water to fill stock watering tanks-or in older days to generate electricity sored in batteries to run lights and such-32V DC-My Mom used to have a sewing machine and vacuum cleaner that ran from 32V-used them at a summer camp cottage on an island that used 32 V DC-instead of a windmill the system used a gas Hit-miss motor turning a 32V genset to charge the batteries.Exploted the remains of the place-the old dried out Exide batteries were still there but the engine for the generator was gone.Like modern power windmills-but don't think they are a solution for our power needs-windmill gensets are great for battery charging.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:42 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Death of windmills :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzgIxMEo8g

A bit off topic, but hey.. renewable energy isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Can't have it perfect, now can you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBY6phmn9E

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:18:23 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Windmills « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:06:15 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Death of windmills :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzgIxMEo8g

A bit off topic, but hey.. renewable energy isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Can't have it perfect, now can you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emBY6phmn9E

I never really cared for the mass solar and wind installations... they seem like something more suited to small scale.... I support the use of Nuclear and Geothermal... as well to a certain extent Hydroelectric.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 01:13:37 AM » Author: tolivac
Solar farms are becoming popular in North Carolina-but people who are neighbors to these farms don't like them-acres of useable land covered with photocell panels-at least with the windmills the land around them can still be farmed.And there is another question--what to do with spent solar panels-these have to be replaced about every 5 years because the sunlight rots them--landfills don't want the panels and they are difficult to recycle-so much for "green power"!The solar thermal plants-those that fry birds are really more efficient than photocell panel farms-the photocell panels don't pose hazards to birds.And of course birds that get killed by flying thru the blades of windmills.The small windmills used for water pumps and battery chargers are too small to be a hazard to birds.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:14:53 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
It feels that whatever the method of producing electricity is nobody wants to live near it.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Windmills « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:48:58 PM » Author: Rommie
We love them, when we go anywhere and see them in the countryside, we think they're wonderful  ;D

We'd like one on the roof so we could get our electricity from it  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Windmills « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:50 PM » Author: Rommie
I never really cared for the mass solar and wind installations... they seem like something more suited to small scale.... I support the use of Nuclear and Geothermal... as well to a certain extent Hydroelectric.
No thanks, I don't want to live near any source of radioactivity  :o

Hydro is good, it's always been popular here in Scotland.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Windmills « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:52 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
They're only dangerous when handled wrongly. out of the many active nuclear sites, only two have to the point of affecting many thousands of people, A properly maintained nuclear station actually emits a lower amount of radiation then the background radiation you get exposed to on a daily basis. ...  Infact, Coal ash, is more dangerous to you than a nuclear power plant, as it is in of itself radioactive and freely emitted. I can go back and forth all day with this (I'd prefer not to though, as i hate debates)... I had to do a project on this a few times for school.. I also studied up on Chernobyl as I take an interest in abandoned spaces.. And I'm interested in nuclear energy in general...

"The average dose received by the public from nuclear power is less than 0.0002 mSv/yr, which is about 10,000 times smaller than the total yearly dose received by the public from other background radiation" - WNO

fly ash emitted by a power plant—a by-product from burning coal for electricity—carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy - Dana Christensen Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

also hydroelectricity is iffy.... due to it's effects on nature, it floods areas and dries other... therefore I do not consider it entirely good for the world. However in certain situations It is acceptable... I think geothermal and Nuclear are ultimately far more viable... it is ultimately an issue of getting rid of the stigma that nuclear power plants are dangerous.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:03:22 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Windmills « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51:33 PM » Author: Rommie
I'd rather have hydro than anything nuclear, thanks all the same.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 06:38:31 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd rather have hydro than anything nuclear, thanks all the same.

Fair enough to each their own... Do you have any issue with Geo?  

~Owen

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Windmills « Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:44:34 PM » Author: Rommie
Fair enough to each their own... Do you have any issue with Geo?  
I don't really know that much about it, as long as it doesn't pollute left right and centre I guess it's ok.

But I really do like wind farms, I find them restful to watch. Also, if they're not being used to generate energy for the grid, they could be used to make hydrogen to fuel H₂ powered cars, which are far more practical to me than trying to install thousands of charging points for electric cars.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:44 AM » Author: boiler1011
Windmills and other wind-driven machines have always interested me. I have a couple wind spinners in my yard for this reason. As for electric turbines, I wish they weren't so common in West Texas. I get they they are "green*" but honestly nuclear power generation is the greenest form of electricity on the planet. Unfortunately many people are (ignorance) afraid of anything radioactive, which is why you see so many nuclear generating stations closing down here in the US.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Windmills « Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:50 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
As energy source, nuclear has advantage that power is always available whenever needed. There are times when sun don't shine and there is no wind. (Super) batteries are one help for that but I think that also effects efficiency of rhe whole system as there is most likely some losses when storing energy.

The biggest problem with nuclear power is what to do with used fuel. Many countries that use nuclear power has not come up with final solution how to and where to storage the spent nuclear fuel safely.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Windmills « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:35:48 AM » Author: Rommie
The biggest problem with nuclear power is what to do with used fuel. Many countries that use nuclear power has not come up with final solution how to and where to storage the spent nuclear fuel safely.
And thereby lies the problem. The stuff is dangerous for thousands of years. Don't get that problem with wind or hydro.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies