Author Topic: favorite color tempature  (Read 25837 times)
Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:34 PM » Author: Xytrell
Anything but warm white. I've used as high as 20,000K.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:24 PM » Author: joseph_125
I use colour temperatures from 3000K to 6500K for linear tubes. My favorite from the range of lamps that I use is 4100K and 5000K (preferably with a high cri for both).

For CFLs I like using lower colour temperatures(2700-4100K), I would say my favorite for CFL is around 3000-3500K although I also like 2700K and 4100K CFLs. The higher ones seem too glary to me even though I like them for linear tubes.  
bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:43 PM » Author: bluelights
Daylight (6500K)
I hate 2700k cfls more than anything else :P

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: favorite color temperature « Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:21 PM » Author: rjluna2
I would like to have Cool White CFLs (4100K) in higher watts form.

So far, I have couple of 13 Watters so far...  :D

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 10:30:43 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I like all but especially GE residential light, whatever the color temp that is. Love 5000k but think warmer colors are more natural.
Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:33 AM » Author: Zelandeth
Depends on the application to be honest!

Kitchens or workstations etc I would tend to light with daylight, preferably full spectrum tubes.  Bedroom however would be warm white (currently it's lit by a mixture of a 3400K Philips CDM-R uplighter and GE Polylux XL colour 830 fluorescents.  The actual ceiling light is just a generic 827 CFL as are the norm over here, though it doesn't get used often.  There's also an F100W/635 tube propped up in the corner for if I need serious amounts of light for anything.  I'd really like that to be daylight, but F100W 8-foot tubes don't appear to be available in daylight any longer.

CFLs over here over 3000K are virtually impossible to find in general stores, none of the local stores around me have any standard fluorescent options other than warm white and white, though one was able to order daylight on request.

I've recently discovered that some of the Philips LED retrofits in warm white have a very pleasant spectrum for areas like bedrooms, with a very warm light, seemingly even more so than tungsten.
Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:29 AM » Author: Powell
I like Duro Test's Vitalite at 5500K. Their Optima 50 is a much nicer 5000K than GE's Chroma 50 and Sylvania's Design 50 AND Phillips' Colortone 50.  For warm the SP-35 is good and in a 15 watt T8 it's the brighter than anything except a Phillips K&B at 1000 lumens and the best color correction of any of the 3000 K lamps.  NOW, I like Duro Test's Optima 32 which was used for a fluorescent aid for studio lighting in TV stations.  I like GE's SPX-50 as that's what they put in our WalMart, but NO one has them here.  There's a SP-65 by GE, but IS there a SPX-65. There was never a 20 or 15 watt version of SP-65. As for me NO NO NO NO Cool White. CWX is OK, but I won't use it in the house.  Same for the "old" warm white with only a 52 CRI.  I do like WWX but you can't get that anymore. 

I like the old Daylight, but the CRI on those was not so great, either .... 

I do like "Natural" 3700K with a 91% CRI according to GE.  Cool Green is good as LONG as ALL of your lamps are cool green. I was in an office that was all cool green and it was very nice.

Powell

NNNN!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 01:00:15 PM » Author: funkybulb
 me i dont care for much 2700k and 3000 range

may bedroom is light with 65k CFL rest of the house is 27k CFLs
  and basement is 41 k cool whites F34s

i like 41k to 65k depending on what application of lighting.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 03:51:55 PM » Author: don93s
Nowadays, my preference ranges from 3500k (halophosphor) to 5500k. The 3500 I like for small lamps in livingroom, bedroom, bathroom. 4100-5500k for my workshop, kitchen, and laundry.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 04:01:25 PM » Author: Medved
These days my preference vary a lot, from less then 2000K (underdriven incandescent) to about 6000K (daylight). It mostly depend on my actual mood, so highly unpredictable... :-D

No more selfballasted c***

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:56 AM » Author: Cavannus
I prefer 2700K lamps in fluorescent (827 tubes) or 3000K in high-CRI leds (I've never seen a 2700K high-CRI led, so I prefer the 90-CRI 3000K XP-G led; however I use a 80-CRI 2700K AmbientLED at home).

Sometimes I use some "daylight" old fluorescent tubes for fun, but I remove them after a couple of hours.

I've been thinking about buying a "full spectrum" 5500K fluorescent tube and putting it into a vintage desk lamp.
I hesitate to buy one because:
1) I expect some significant flickering on old magnetic ballast desk lamps;
2) My girlfriend might use it for her artwork but I prefer 827 tubes in our apartment.
SOX55W

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60Hz here!

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 07:06:28 PM » Author: SOX55W
I really like the high color temps, but it really depends on what mood I'm in, too.  I hate 2700K fluorescents and cfls, though, and not a fan of frosted/coated incandescents.

One interesting bit of information relative to this discussion is the Kruithof curve. Basicly, anything above the center bounded area appears over lit, harsh, and fatiguing, and anything below looks stark and dim. 

I have experienced this first hand awhile back when I had 3 23W 2700K cfls in my bedroom ceiling fan, picked up some 6500K 25W lamps, tried them for about 15 min, and took them back to the store for some 3500K instead.  The lighting level was low enough to make it look really stark and depressing, even though the lumens and the lighting spread remained exactly the same. High color temperatures need more intensity to appear "right", which is also why SOX lamps appear to be very effective at lighting at such low levels of actual light, as our eyes like less of that range of color temp. The 6500K CFL I have works great in a handheld work light, or close proximity task lighting, but up in the ceiling as a general service light it doesn't do well at all.  It's in the basement at home now since a power failure took out one of the cfls down there and it was all I had on hand at the time.  Same story...really stark and dim.

Bring SOX lamps back!!!

FYI, LED's are NOT the most efficient lighting technology available! Don't know how people keep coming to that conclusion!

My other interests: sports cars, refrigeration, microcontroller projects, computer hardware, and any sort of custom fabrication.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:57 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I Prefer the warm white colors.  The cool white, crisp white, and daylight colors give me horrible headaches. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 10:42:07 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
My favorites are 4100k, 6500k, and 3000kh
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: favorite color tempature « Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 04:19:22 PM » Author: Cavannus
I Prefer the warm white colors.  The cool white, crisp white, and daylight colors give me horrible headaches. 
I was recently in a small meeting room that was only lit by one single F40T12 fluorescent tube (and no window). The flicker was perceptible: poor eyes and poor head!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies