Author Topic: Who else here likes elevators?  (Read 4745 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:45 PM » Author: Cole D.
I get claustrophobic in them and I can't share them with lots of people. I have to wait until there aren't any other people waiting before I can get in, and if anyone tries to get in at another floor I have to get out  :(

Well as a kid we went to the airport and I got stuck in an elevator. I was with my mom and aunt and they got off, but the door closed before I could. And then it moved to another floor and people kept getting in and out and I was stuck at the back. Finally I was able to get back to the floor they were on.

Also how the elevator feels when it stops and starts moving scared me as a kid. I used to worry how we would get out if it got stuck between the floors. But I guess they would have to lift us up to the next floor or crawl out to the one below. LOL

There was some movie too that had an elevator that fell down a shaft and then there was a huge fan at the bottom that the guy had to short out the motor so he wouldn't get hit by the blades. That always made me fear elevators especially.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 01:50:35 AM » Author: tolivac
I have a liking for elevators-at one time you could easily visit the machine rooms-used to just watch the equipment.At one shopping center-they had a hydraulic 2 floor elevator-was nonplused at the motor on the hydraulic pump--60HP!!!!The pump runs when the elevator goes up-doesn't run going down.The other elevators I have seen were DC traction and geared freight elevators.Direct traction is when the cable pulley is connected direct to the motor.Geared is where the pulley is connected thru a gearbox on the motor-more torque to lift heavier weigh as in freight elevators.Direct traction for passenger elevators. higher speeds.The motors ran from 250V DC from a motor gen set or a SS power supply.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 06:33:15 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
I don't know much about them. I know at my college one building has an Otis from 1994 and another building has one but not sure the brand. That one is from 2007. Although a lot of times use stairs since it's quicker than to wait on elevator.
Does the 1994 Otis have square buttons and green displays?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 06:43:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I like elevators but I'm unfamiliar with the brands. I try to use an elevator whenever an opportunatey arises.

Last time i used one, it was in the city hall building... a power outage happened while i was in it, the doors were half closed/opened because it was stopped and opening on a floor to let someone off so that was lucky.

Administrator #5

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 08:32:13 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I like elevators but I'm unfamiliar with the brands. I try to use an elevator whenever an opportunatey arises.

Last time i used one, it was in the city hall building... a power outage happened while i was in it, the doors were half closed/opened because it was stopped and opening on a floor to let someone off so that was lucky.
What did the buttons and displays (or floor indicators) look like?

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
Does the 1994 Otis have square buttons and green displays?

Yes it does have that. The other I forget exactly, its sounds are different than the Otis one. The Otis just has a quick chime where the other has a longer two note chime when the doors open.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 10:36:02 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Yes it does have that. The other I forget exactly, its sounds are different than the Otis one. The Otis just has a quick chime where the other has a longer two note chime when the doors open.
The Otis is most likely a Series 1 and the other (if you mean 2 separate pitches) might be a Schindler RT.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 01:26:14 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
What did the buttons and displays (or floor indicators) look like?

I believe the buttons were round with black. Buttons and a light up ring but i cant remember for sure. Ill look next time i go down there.

There is 4 elevators that have the two doors. One of the lifts is a bit bigger and has a rear set of doors. They might be otis but ill check

Administrator #5

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 02:14:41 PM » Author: CEB1993
I rather enjoy elevators  :)  I'm usually not happy in tight spaces, but elevators don't bother me too much.  It's a cool feeling when the doors close and it feels like I'm in a soundproof box.  I also enjoy "elevator music" the relaxing jazz or electronic music used in elevators, waiting rooms, etc.  Probably the coolest elevator I've been on is the elevator in the Westin Peachtree hotel in Atlanta.  This glass elevator is on the outside of the cylinder shaped building and provides an amazing view of the city as you rise about 80 floors to the top. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 02:23:31 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I rather enjoy elevators  :)  I'm usually not happy in tight spaces, but elevators don't bother me too much.  It's a cool feeling when the doors close and it feels like I'm in a soundproof box.  I also enjoy "elevator music" the relaxing jazz or electronic music used in elevators, waiting rooms, etc.  Probably the coolest elevator I've been on is the elevator in the Westin Peachtree hotel in Atlanta.  This glass elevator is on the outside of the cylinder shaped building and provides an amazing view of the city as you rise about 80 floors to the top.  
We both hate any music that is played at us in public spaces. especially 'muzak'  :o
As budding musicians we hate hearing the tortured renditions that are inflicted on us.!!  :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 02:52:46 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I believe the buttons were round with black. Buttons and a light up ring but i cant remember for sure. Ill look next time i go down there.

There is 4 elevators that have the two doors. One of the lifts is a bit bigger and has a rear set of doors. They might be otis but ill check
Black buttons with a light up ring? If the ring is clear and the button is black with white painted numbers or symbols, it's an Otis Lexan. If the light-up ring is white and the symbol on the button is lit up by the light inside, it's a Dover traditional.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 02:51:56 PM » Author: CEB1993
The lighting in elevators is always interesting too.  Sometimes they use T8 fluorescents behind a translucent panel and sometimes they use PAR20 halogens.  I prefer the latter  8)  In some fancy hotels, I've even seen crystal chandeliers used inside the elevators.  They are constantly swinging slightly due to the elevator's movement.  Makes me wonder if the incandescents used had a shortened life. 

Another thing about elevators is that they are often not climate controlled.  On hot days, the elevators in my previous workplace would be warm, especially if they had been parked on the top floor.  Some have a fan in the ceiling vent to prevent stagnant air.  On cold days, I don't notice the elevators becoming any cooler.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 04:20:07 PM » Author: Ash
I take the stairs as much as I can unless it is a tall building. Great exercise.
I am the same. Does not contradict having interest in elevators as a device/system

The lighting in elevators is always interesting too.  Sometimes they use T8 fluorescents behind a translucent panel and sometimes they use PAR20 halogens.  I prefer the latter  8)  In some fancy hotels, I've even seen crystal chandeliers used inside the elevators.  They are constantly swinging slightly due to the elevator's movement.  Makes me wonder if the incandescents used had a shortened life. 

Another thing about elevators is that they are often not climate controlled.  On hot days, the elevators in my previous workplace would be warm, especially if they had been parked on the top floor.  Some have a fan in the ceiling vent to prevent stagnant air.  On cold days, I don't notice the elevators becoming any cooler.

In some 70s/80s elevators here the lantern was recessed box with GLS inside and reflective louver closing it. In late 80s/90s the ones with similar design were still made, but with a long linear box and 18W T8 instead

In some other 70s ones a standard lantern was integrated as part of the design. I have seen one (that was modernized since) where a partially recessed Gaash 7606 was installed in the center of the ceiling. so that almost only the PMMA "cloud" sticks out. Also, in that elevator the emergency lighting was added inside the same luminaire, not in the wall panel like in most elevators

In a house where some friends of mine live - 9 floors built in the 90s, elevator is Otis Europa 2000. The inner door is 2 parts sliding into the same side, the outer is a manual opening swing door. When there is wind, it howls very loudly throughout the shaft, especially in the floor where the car is standing. I think at the top of the shaft there is some open window to the outside, i dont think the wind would blow that strong through the machine room and cable holes
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who else here likes elevators? « Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 05:50:05 PM » Author: High Intensity
We both hate any music that is played at us in public spaces. especially 'muzak'  :o
Ahh, muzak, the type of music that pairs best with an abandoned mall. :P
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies