Author Topic: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences  (Read 14108 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 10:25:57 PM » Author: Foxtronix
lightman64: If we talk about the same Noma, it's a canadian brand that maybe appeared on the american market not too long ago. Usually they are manufactured by Globe Electric, the Great Value CFLs from Wal-Mart are made by Globe Electric as well. I don't trust them, there are recalls about these. A few from the province of New-Brunswick and a few other ones here:

- A Globe Electric 23W CFL
- A Globe 13W CFL, note the old logo and the fuse that didn't work at all!

The GE are safer.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 10:09:03 AM » Author: lightman64
uh oh. better not go with those!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 12:56:29 PM » Author: Foxtronix
You shouln't. In general all CFLs should not be used in closed fixtures. And I repeat it again, GE is the safest to me.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 05:24:07 PM » Author: lightman64
id like some NOMAs for my collection anyways so, where could you get them besides canadian tire?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 04:20:17 PM » Author: Silverliner
FYI, in the USA the Great Value CFLs sold at wally world are made by TCP.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2009, 07:11:58 PM » Author: FGS
@Dave - I have one of the Great Value lamp. Yeah the TCP logo is under the Great Value logo. Soft White and 18w.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 07:18:13 PM » Author: lightman64
where can u get NOMA brand bulbs in the usa?

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 08:02:38 PM » Author: Silverliner
Sorry I can't be of much help, I'm located in Southern CA and never seen a noma CFL.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 05:58:41 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I have one here Also when lit here and after 1 year of service in my bedroom . Dave may be right about Great Value CFLs in the USA. Although in the links the Canadian Great Value CFLs have the same design as the Noma pictured in the links.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 06:10:56 PM » Author: lightman64
ok cool. cfls are my main hobbie and HIDs are my second, since i don't own many fixtures.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 06:17:07 PM » Author: Foxtronix
By the way Noma products are not really marketed in the USA. You have more chance to see a Globe CFL in stores.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 06:31:58 PM » Author: lightman64
if you don't want your noma any more ill trade for it.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:04 PM » Author: lightman64
i have this  cfl that when turned on, gets really bright for a few seconds and then goes dim. after that, it goes through the normal warm up process. why is this so?

form109
Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:22 PM » Author: form109
i have this  cfl that when turned on, gets really bright for a few seconds and then goes dim. after that, it goes through the normal warm up process. why is this so?

that is a strange occurance....something i've never seen or heard of happening before! :o :o
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Compact Flourescent Lamp Preferences « Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 05:33:17 PM » Author: Medved
If CFL's, then tubular and only U-tube design max. More complex shapes (spirals,...) do not allow as evenly deposited phosphor (so efficacy suffer), "more tube" lights into itself, so again light is lost.So PL-S, PL-L,...

And ballast should be external to allow ballast's cool operation, so long life, at the same time as optimum temperature for the lamp.

And high frequency, programmed-start, with voltage mode supplied heaters (not feasible for integrated-starter lamps) to ensure long lamp life include insensitivity to frequent switching.
And dimmable via phase-cut dimmer switch for comfort and easy installation wiring.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies