Author Topic: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit?  (Read 1566 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:57 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I was wondering, can you even use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit, for outdoor applications? Its for the lighting for the backyard. Once I get my electrician's licence as a apprentice to a journeyman.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:24:53 PM » Author: BT25
I was wondering, can you even use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit, for outdoor applications? Its for the lighting for the backyard. Once I get my electrician's licence as a apprentice to a journeyman.

According to the NEC, no...it's not legal.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:39:14 PM » Author: Cole D.
No, it would need to be UF type cable to run underground and wouldn't need a conduit if it's direct bury.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:33:00 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Ok, thanks.

Lowes has UF type wire, and they're expensive for a roll.

Do you also have to use PVC conduit when not buried?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:42:50 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:43:53 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-100-ft-12-AWG-2-UF-Wire-By-the-Roll/1000131815

I wonder if you can use 12 AWG for 20A circuits?

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:27:20 AM » Author: BT25
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-100-ft-12-AWG-2-UF-Wire-By-the-Roll/1000131815

I wonder if you can use 12 AWG for 20A circuits?

According to the NEC, #12 AWG is indeed rated for 20 Amps.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:23:37 AM » Author: Ash
Using conduit is a problem if you live in a climate where freezing temps occur. If the conduit have sections running low and is not all inclined or have drain holes, it will eventually fill up with Water. When the Water freezes, it will put stress on the cable. Some cables may be suitable to withstand that sort of stress, and some not

In the places where the cable runs in the open, a conduit does help protect it from accidental mechanical damage. In vertical runs where the conduit is only starting above Earth level, there is none of the Water problem

When choosing the cable type, check that it is suitable to :

- The temperature range, from low (at significantly low temps, PVC itself can freeze and get damaged, but this happens only further up North), to high (especially when under the Sun, including inside metal conduits and boxes that are under the Sun

- The UV stability. Some cables are UV stabilized and some are not. Protecting the above Earth level parts with conduit helps preserve the cable even if UV stabilized (they aren't always fully UV proof)

- Any mechanical loads, like if you want to suspend the cable, that it can carry its own weight

- Its resistance to damage by termites, etc

Also, if you are going to load it continuously and there are sections subject to high temps, take higher margins from its max ampacity
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:39:41 PM » Author: funkybulb
I have  use standard romex in conduit  for years
Underground. Heck  u can even use 3 pieces of THHN
In conduit under ground. 
It all  depends on athority of jurorection
Meaning  u can ask your inspector what  min
U can get away with. 

A home owner can wire there own home even install
A steptic tank as long u  comply with inspector that issuing
U  permit

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:26 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Nah, I'll use that UF-B wire, because its code compliant for outside, plus you can put it underground and burry it.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Can you use Romex cable inside of outdoor PVC conduit? « Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:46 AM » Author: icefoglights
The big problem with using NM-B outdoors (in conduit or not) is that the paper liners can wick moisture.  UF-B uses solid plastic instead, so the moisture wicking isn't an issue.  However, this makes it more expensive and difficult to work with.  UF-B can be run in conduit, though it's not necessary where buried.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies