Author Topic: Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ?  (Read 2362 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ? « on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:06 PM » Author: Cole D.
So, since I wasn't able to obtain any fixtures from the power company I'm thinking I might buy an HID fixture off of eBay. I'm mostly considering an AEL NEMA bucket or a GE 201SA NEMA which are both HPS. But the AEL is cheaper and is complete with the arm (which I don't really need and takes up space) but it has everything, bulb and photocell too. The GE 201SA is more expensive, but no arm but also no bulb and photocell. I'm also considering an AEL Contempo because I love post tops also. I thought though at least the GE would take up less space and smaller package so my parents might be more accepting of it, and I could get a bulb and photocell at Lowes or HD.

Just wondering if anyone had a suggestion. And I wouldn't be mounting it outside, for now anyway just to play with for now in my collection.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ? « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:49:36 PM » Author: boiler1011
I think this will come down to your own personal preference, availability, condition, and what you choose to spend on one. I think most of the units on ebay, even "antique/NOS" are pretty overpriced. I doubt they were nearly that expensive while in production. I like MV the most, but if you're seeking out something like HPS, then search around until you find what you want and go for it. I don't have any of my small but growing collection of HID fixtures mounted outside, but that's more of a situation based on where I live. I don't have any good place to put one up, and I also have to consider my neighbors and their right to darkness. I still think you should get a Powr/Bracket if you really want one. Yes, they are big, but they do break down into several pieces and you could easily fit one in the back seat of a passenger sedan, (even a compact like a Honda or Toyota) if you take the optics off. My NOS one came in a box that would probably fit in most trunks.

-Travis
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ? « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 10:49:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
Thanks for your suggestions. I definitely would like a GE Powr/Bracket someday. I'd prefer a MV fixture but kind of have to take what I can get, seeing as I can't find any locally.

Yeah a lot of the ones on eBay are way overpriced. There are some I see that seem to be extra inventory or something, that aren't bad prices, for new ones. Probably cheaper than if you tried to order it from somewhere.

Found a gumball fixture on Craigslist for $50, looks like a great deal, but I didn't want to drive an hour and a half to get it in heavy traffic. I'd love to have it though if it was closer.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Bert

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ? « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:16:42 PM » Author: Bert
The GE 201SA's can be had brand new with arm, lamp, and photo switch for about $100 from an electrical supplier.

I end up with a few mercury nema's from time to time, usually free. I'm sure you could do the same if you find the right person.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Looking to buy a NEMA bucket or post top ? « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:42:29 PM » Author: Lumex120

Yeah a lot of the ones on eBay are way overpriced. There are some I see that seem to be extra inventory or something, that aren't bad prices, for new ones. Probably cheaper than if you tried to order it from somewhere.

In most cases, you can get one cheaper directly from the manufacturer than what the eBay listing will cost. If you'd want, put together a catalog # for an AEL series 11, GE 201SA or Cooper RMA and I can get a price quote for it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:47:54 PM by Lumex120 » Logged

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies