Author Topic: CFL Flicker?  (Read 1075 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
CFL Flicker? « on: May 18, 2018, 11:08:43 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Everytime I turn on a switch to a room that has CFLs, and one of them are flickering slightly. Does this mean that the CFL might go EOL? Plus when I turn on the switch, one of them go EOL when used alot, at start.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: CFL Flicker? « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:01:04 AM » Author: dor123
CFLs usually shows a slight 120hz flickering on the camera sensor, but it is very minor.
If the lamp strongly flickering 120hz like magnetic: The electrolytic capacitor in the ballast has been failed.
If the lamp flickering 60hz: Other problem with the ballast of the CFL.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: CFL Flicker? « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 05:37:09 AM » Author: suzukir122
When I was a kid, my dad had a CFL lamp (triple U-Tube type of CFL) from GE. My guess based on how it started up,
was that it was semi-resonant start. It might've been programmed start, but I doubt it.
Anyways, every time he turned on that light in the basement (he used it for his small office area) the light would
fire up, but it would flicker SIGNIFICANTLY. As the lamp warmed up, the flickering would subside and the lamp
would work like normal... except... as it operated, there was a very noticeable 120hz flicker. A lot like magnetic
ballasted CFL's, or preheat lamps. Also, this CFL had significant end blackening from one of the ends. Despite this,
it was obvious that the flickering had nothing to do with the end blackening, since there was absolutely no color
changing, hotspot movement, etc. Actually, that end blackening had been there the entire time I've seen that lamp, even
before it started doing the crazy flicker/120hz.
My dad threw it away in one of his trash cans in his office, and replaced it with an incandescent lamp. I noticed this,
and grabbed it out of the trash can. I installed it into one of my table lamps. Switched it on and watched it flicker
like crazy. I kept an eye on the blackened end for orange flashing... nope, nothing.
Then I turned the light off, and then back on again. The light didn't fire up this time, and a loud continuous
crackle and pop sound came from the base of the lamp, as well as blue flickering light, and smoke.
I got scared and said, "Oooooohhhh, that's why." I was referring to why my dad threw away the lamp.
I threw the lamp away after that.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies