Author Topic: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains  (Read 2085 times)
lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « on: June 01, 2018, 02:17:00 PM » Author: lasagafield
Hello everyone.
I wasn't sure if this thread was more of a lamp or fitting thread so i've put it here.
Please shift it if i'm wrong.
I recently got ahold of a couple of these:
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/prof/conventional-lamps-and-tubes/fluorescent-lamps-and-starters/tl/tl-m-rapid-start-super-80/928031008471_EU/product
I have a 65W fitting but I have never worked with these tubes before.
If I where to just bung them in a bog standard 230v fitting what would happen?
Would they run/burn out/how long for?
Could I not just make a transformer to drop the voltage in half on the ballast side?
Can you get rapid start gear in the UK etc.

There's a reason the sun's free.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:47:26 PM » Author: dor123
Try to use SRS or quick-start gear.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:32:11 PM » Author: lasagafield
I'll keep an eye out but it's a lot harder finding 230v fluorescent gear that isn't just your bog standard preheat.

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:56:57 PM » Author: Beta 5
Aren't they just normal T12's with an earth strip?
If so, they should work fine in normal switch start gear.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:38:27 PM » Author: lasagafield
They are rated for 110v though.
I have grown up with 240v mains equipment and have never worked with 110v equipment.
Someone many years ago told me that american ballasts converted the 110v in to around 200v going into the tube but that was someones word years ago.
I have no idea if this is true or not but the tube is rated at 110v so i'm assuming i'd have to make a transformer to drop the voltage to that.

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:05:23 PM » Author: Beta 5
I think that's just the arc voltage. The 20w version says 57v, and the 40w version 101v.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:39:40 PM » Author: lasagafield
Yeah it looks like what the bloke told me was right.
http://www.edisontechcenter.org/Fluorescent.html
Seems countries using daft mains voltages have a winding offset in the ballast to drive the tube at around 200v.
They should be fine.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:01:37 AM » Author: dor123
Yeah it looks like what the bloke told me was right.
http://www.edisontechcenter.org/Fluorescent.html
Seems countries using daft mains voltages have a winding offset in the ballast to drive the tube at around 200v.
They should be fine.
The most common form of magnetic ballast in North America, is the Rapid Start ballast which uses an autotransformer to step up the voltage from the 120V mains to around 200V and additional transformer winding to provides constant cathode heating supply to the electrodes. Since 200V is too low to start the lamp directly, the lamp need a grounded reflector, starting strip or coating.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:33:57 AM » Author: lasagafield
Looks like it'll be fine then.
Thank you all for the help  ;D

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:09:15 PM » Author: Michael
These can be run on normal switch start starter circuit gear without any reduction in life. Don't worry!
lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 02:57:35 PM » Author: lasagafield
Great!
I'll keep an eye out.  :a_fluor: :a_fluor: :a_fluor:

lasagafield

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 10:17:07 AM » Author: lasagafield
So far so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoZBoahHgw

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Powering a 65W Philips TL-M from 230V mains « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 10:38:20 AM » Author: dor123
These can be run on normal switch start starter circuit gear without any reduction in life. Don't worry!
I've a question: When a fluorescent lamp with a starting aid is started directly from a 230-240VV choke, there is nothing that can preheat the cathodes before the starting, resulting in starting the lamp with cold cathodes (Similar to lamps with a single pin). How this don't reduces the life of the lamp? Is the lamp have more robust electrodes like a regular fluorescent lamp that requires a starter (Electrodes similar to LPS lamp for example)?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies