Author Topic: Lighting for Minerals and Gems  (Read 1113 times)
gemsociety
Lighting for Minerals and Gems « on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:33 AM » Author: gemsociety
Hi Lighting Gallery!

I am a writer for gemsociety.org, and I'm working on an article on artificial lighting for minerals/gems.

Believe it or not, there's no standard for lighting in the industry despite gems being quite sensitive to lights.  Even the labs that grade gems use different bulbs!  :-\

If anyone has experience setting up lighting for a jewelry shop or mineral collection, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

In addition, the phase-out of traditional incandescent bulbs in the US has led to some questions in our forums.  Some gems change color from daylight to incandescent, and the standard is to grade the color change between these sources.  What bulbs would you recommend to replace this?

I look forward to your insight!

Addison
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Lighting for Minerals and Gems « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:51 PM » Author: Lumex120
I don't really have any experience in this field, but what I can tell you is that self-ballasted mercury lamps are very common for gem displays. They combine the warm white color of an incandescent with a daylight-like color, and so they are used in these applications. You can get them here:
https://www.bulborama.com/SB-160-WATT-BR38-FLOOD-SPECTRA-BRITE-MERCURY-VAPOR-DISPLAY-LAMP-p472.html

Unofficial LG Discord

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting for Minerals and Gems « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:07:56 AM » Author: tolivac
What sort of mineral display is it?For fluorescing minerals alternating UV and white lights are excellent.For gems-Warm color CMH lamps may be good.Possibly white type HPS is another choice---then we have what is evil to some here--warm color LED.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies