Author Topic: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members  (Read 1832 times)
MissRiaElaine
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 06:04:48 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
The good thing about having lighting as a hobby is it has a high degree of practicality - you can actually use it. I like the fact that my modest (but varied) collection of lamps allows me to light the home in interesting and artistic ways. I couldn't be one of these "dyed in the wool" collectors that never lights a lamp save for the initial "ooh ahh" and just lives in amongst piles of unused boxes of lighting equipment - it would drive me insane.
I don't use them for day-to-day lighting, save for some of the GLS halogens (using SOX and MV to light the bedroom and bathroom might be a tad impractical  Cheesy), but I do get them out of their boxes and run them up occasionally. I've built some demo boards which I intended to use to display lamps to the public in a friend's shop, but unfortunately due to business problems he had to close it, so that idea went by the wayside, but I do still get most of the lamps out sometimes and give them an airing  Cool
RyanF40T12

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 08:05:00 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yahoo is dead.  Thankfully.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Miss Cuddly
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 01:51:27 PM » Author: Miss Cuddly
@ Cal,

You can use telephones as well, with a big enough house you can wire it up so that you have a telephone in every room wired back to a central PABX, as you would find in an office.  Smiley
MissRiaElaine
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 01:54:41 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
@ Cal,

You can use telephones as well, with a big enough house you can wire it up so that you have a telephone in every room wired back to a central PABX, as you would find in an office.
  Smiley
I had that where I used to live. As well as phones in each room, there was a tie line from the main PABX through to the garage, where there was a secondary PABX for the bulk of the collection that lived in there.
MissRiaElaine
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 02:08:58 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
I don't even have a land line! Although if I did get one it'd have to be an old bakelite phone or something like a trimphone.
Yeah, I had a few Trimphones, they were cool  Cool  I had a DTMF keypad one as well, which was quite a rare beast at the time.

If you haven't got a landline, how do you get online..?
Miss Cuddly
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 01:34:02 PM » Author: Miss Cuddly
Yahoo is dead.  Thankfully.
Why thankfully.? Don't tell me you like FarceBuke  Huh?
Cole D.

View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:59 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've found that as well. One Yahoo group I know and used to go on quite regularly, hasn't seen a new post in almost exactly a year (last one I can see is 28/07/17). I asked the group owner where everyone was, and she said they're all on Facebook. Sad

Now I loathe and detest FB with a passion and will not use it, it's far too intrusive for my liking. So I've lost touch with everyone I knew on that group  Sad

I've been on a lot of forums over the years for a lot of different topics. A lot of them are no longer. Often times the Facebook groups thing is what kills them. I refuse to get on Facebook groups. I don't like the openness of it and having everything connected to one social media account. I guess it's because I'm a bit of a private person, but I don't want all of my personal details from a Facebook profile showing up through all of the groups.

But yeah, the Facebook group thing has killed SO many forums. I used to be on a great forum, great community, and a great off topic section which was really popular too, I think that's what made it a great community, was the ties with learning about the subject and the off topic fun section as well. Unfortunately it was mismanaged and shut down.

A few other forums I'm on are pretty much dead right now, in fact this forum is definitely one of the more active of the ones I'm on. It's difficult on the dead ones because you try to make posts to liven things up, but you get little to no response, so you're back to where you started and don't want to bother if no one is reading your content.

Not really sure why Facebook ended up as the end all be all of online communities, but it seems to have done so.

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:54 PM » Author: 589
I think sometimes good pictures might not get seen for years, then stumbled upon by others. If you look at it LG is almost a picture encyclopedia of lighting. Thereís tons of documentation and photos of things that just donít exist anywhere else or nearly impossible to find. I guess my $.02 would be that you may never know who it might benefit but I donít see any well done picture as a waste here. I for one havenít been very active over the last few months and will continue to have reduced activity because I have a little one to take care of now.

I've found that as well. One Yahoo group I know and used to go on quite regularly, hasn't seen a new post in almost exactly a year (last one I can see is 28/07/17). I asked the group owner where everyone was, and she said they're all on Facebook. Sad

Now I loathe and detest FB with a passion and will not use it, it's far too intrusive for my liking. So I've lost touch with everyone I knew on that group  Sad

I completely agree about FB and all ďsocial mediaĒ in general. The research coming out is not good, for your health or privacy. I donít have an account on any of them or plan on getting one either. Forums are is close as it gets for me, that and YouTube.

Low Pressure Sodium

MissRiaElaine
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 12:31:55 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
I completely agree about FB and all ďsocial mediaĒ in general. The research coming out is not good, for your health or privacy. I donít have an account on any of them or plan on getting one either. Forums are is close as it gets for me, that and YouTube.
Same here. We used to have accounts on Flickr, as that is basically just a photo-sharing site and isn't really "social media" as such. However it has recently done some deal or other with another company and has effectively sold off all the user data to this third party. Now I don't want my data bought and sold like boxes of cereal, thanks all the same, so I deleted everything and closed my account before they implemented the deal.
Miss Cuddly
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 01:59:55 PM » Author: Miss Cuddly
Same here. We used to have accounts on Flickr, as that is basically just a photo-sharing site and isn't really "social media" as such. However it has recently done some deal or other with another company and has effectively sold off all the user data to this third party. Now I don't want my data bought and sold like boxes of cereal, thanks all the same, so I deleted everything and closed my account before they implemented the deal.
And I quickly followed...

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 04:44:56 PM » Author: 589
How recent was this? I still have a ton of pictures on Flickr...

Low Pressure Sodium

MissRiaElaine
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 04:47:57 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
How recent was this? I still have a ton of pictures on Flickr...
Not all that long ago, end of April or so, I think. You should have had an email..?

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:23:41 AM » Author: 589
I donít think I have it set up to go to any email I actually use. I had to setup a yahoo account so thatís peobably where the email went lol. Iíve been looking to get my pics off of the cloud as more and more it bothers me how many companies are using our data more invasively as time wears on. Guess I need to step it up and add that to my todo list among other things lol.

Low Pressure Sodium

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 09:15:24 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cal
I hear you with this, and although I'm younger than most message board pros I'm still old enough to remember when people chatted online via forums, instant message chat, online groups or things like the MySpace forums.
I liked the MySpace forums..when they got rid of those alone, there really wasn't much reason to even go on the site...then with all the other "upgrades" (which in reality were down-grades) they did, MySpace came to the point where it sucked bad. Its no wonder it died .lol. I'm kinda surprised its still even around at all.
I also used to enjoy Usenet newsgroups(if anyone is old enough to remember those)...something that has actually been around longer than 'the web'. Its been quite awhile(probably 2-3 years) since I last went & looked in some of the groups I used to read...at that time there was basically nothing but spam Sad

Quote from: Cal
Reddit is unbelievable for this. It doesn't help that it's frequented overwhelmingly by users who still have spots and up-and-coming hormones, mind. I rarely frequent reddit for that reason, it's just a cesspit of teen angst.
Thats basically what I hear about it ... infact I don't believe I've ever seen anything good posted about the way people are on Reddit .

Quote from: Cole D.
I've been on a lot of forums over the years for a lot of different topics. A lot of them are no longer. Often times the Facebook groups thing is what kills them. I refuse to get on Facebook groups. I don't like the openness of it and having everything connected to one social media account. I guess it's because I'm a bit of a private person, but I don't want all of my personal details from a Facebook profile showing up through all of the groups.
I feel exactly the same. I'm on various other forums & things, and  hear/see people mention the facebook group ... I want no part in it, I'll stick to the main site.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:13:06 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:01 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I've been recently gotten kind of tired to lighting collecting. In this era of LED it kind of feels pointless as you don't see much older stuff moving since every goes straight to trash and I don't see much new stuff that seems interesting.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines