Author Topic: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members  (Read 1684 times)

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 06:23:41 AM » Author: 589
I donít think I have it set up to go to any email I actually use. I had to setup a yahoo account so thatís peobably where the email went lol. Iíve been looking to get my pics off of the cloud as more and more it bothers me how many companies are using our data more invasively as time wears on. Guess I need to step it up and add that to my todo list among other things lol.

Low Pressure Sodium

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 09:15:24 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cal
I hear you with this, and although I'm younger than most message board pros I'm still old enough to remember when people chatted online via forums, instant message chat, online groups or things like the MySpace forums.
I liked the MySpace forums..when they got rid of those alone, there really wasn't much reason to even go on the site...then with all the other "upgrades" (which in reality were down-grades) they did, MySpace came to the point where it sucked bad. Its no wonder it died .lol. I'm kinda surprised its still even around at all.
I also used to enjoy Usenet newsgroups(if anyone is old enough to remember those)...something that has actually been around longer than 'the web'. Its been quite awhile(probably 2-3 years) since I last went & looked in some of the groups I used to read...at that time there was basically nothing but spam Sad

Quote from: Cal
Reddit is unbelievable for this. It doesn't help that it's frequented overwhelmingly by users who still have spots and up-and-coming hormones, mind. I rarely frequent reddit for that reason, it's just a cesspit of teen angst.
Thats basically what I hear about it ... infact I don't believe I've ever seen anything good posted about the way people are on Reddit .

Quote from: Cole D.
I've been on a lot of forums over the years for a lot of different topics. A lot of them are no longer. Often times the Facebook groups thing is what kills them. I refuse to get on Facebook groups. I don't like the openness of it and having everything connected to one social media account. I guess it's because I'm a bit of a private person, but I don't want all of my personal details from a Facebook profile showing up through all of the groups.
I feel exactly the same. I'm on various other forums & things, and  hear/see people mention the facebook group ... I want no part in it, I'll stick to the main site.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:13:06 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:01 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I've been recently gotten kind of tired to lighting collecting. In this era of LED it kind of feels pointless as you don't see much older stuff moving since every goes straight to trash and I don't see much new stuff that seems interesting.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Miss Cuddly

View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

ATL sammi.grayjones@gmail.com
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 05:43:45 AM » Author: Miss Cuddly
I've been recently gotten kind of tired to lighting collecting. In this era of LED it kind of feels pointless as you don't see much older stuff moving since every goes straight to trash and I don't see much new stuff that seems interesting.
All the more reason to preserve the old technology then.  Smiley

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

LED lighting has its place in the home or other indoor uses, but outdoors in street lights is in my opinion not one of them.

Roi_hartmann

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 01:34:40 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
All the more reason to preserve the old technology then.  Smiley
Well that's the problem. There has been huge decline in second hand lighting stuff market. There is no value for it anymore since people put new LEDs in places where previously they would go with used "traditional" fixture. As nobody buys them, people much rather throw used fixtures straight to disposal than try to sell them. That usually means not being too carefull while removing fixtures or handling them.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Miss Cuddly

View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

ATL sammi.grayjones@gmail.com
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 02:50:46 PM » Author: Miss Cuddly
I feel exactly the same. I'm on various other forums & things, and  hear/see people mention the facebook group ... I want no part in it, I'll stick to the main site.
I'm just on here and ATL, and want no part of what some has called FarceBuke either.  Cheesy

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

LED lighting has its place in the home or other indoor uses, but outdoors in street lights is in my opinion not one of them.

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 09:06:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Miss Cuddly
I'm just on here and ATL, and want no part of what some has called FarceBuke either.  Cheesy
I'm the 4 'light gallery' sites that I know of, then a few Christmas light forums, and a few other sites not at all related to lights.

And LOL at "FarceBuke"

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Lighting community is turning its back on its own members « Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 10:26:02 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Well that's the problem. There has been huge decline in second hand lighting stuff market. There is no value for it anymore since people put new LEDs in places where previously they would go with used "traditional" fixture. As nobody buys them, people much rather throw used fixtures straight to disposal than try to sell them. That usually means not being too carefull while removing fixtures or handling them.

I fully agree and I have noticed this too. I suppose the best way to have a chance of intercepting fixtures from getting to landfill is post wanted ads on local classified looking to buy or 'take off your hands' certain fixtures and lamps. I have done that at times and it did work, its how I scored my CFI wraps a few years ago. Thinking of trying again for more or louvers since I know there are still holdouts out there that may give in to my search.

Other than that, the supply of good stuff is definitely thinning, no more good lamps being made and fixtures are all crap. One day when my supply is gone it'll have to be whatever lights there is in like 2050 or earlier
Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines