Author Topic: Anyone know what is this device?  (Read 1899 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Anyone know what is this device? « on: June 19, 2018, 05:59:39 AM » Author: dor123
It is located at the storage of Carmel hospital:

It have a color changing LED indicator.
What is this device?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:14:24 PM » Author: Rommie
Looks like a WAP (Wireless Access Point). I must admit I like the label, I misread the CR AP bit at first sight  :D

Cisco is usually good kit, though. What is the power brick for..? The unit is obviously powered up so I'm guessing it's powered via PoE (Power over Ethernet) so not sure why a power supply is there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:17:07 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:56:59 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Cisco prefers you use those power bricks with their WAPs.  Especially for long runs from the switch. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:43:02 AM » Author: dor123
Is WAP is similar to Router, but in a LAN instead of the internet?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:46:44 AM » Author: Rommie
Is WAP is similar to Router, but in a LAN instead of the internet?
WAP = Wireless Access Point - it is a device to allow wireless devices access to the network and/or the internet. Most routers have one built in, but if you have a wide area to cover, such as a hospital, you would need several of these at strategic points around the site.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:45 AM » Author: Rommie
Cisco prefers you use those power bricks with their WAPs.  Especially for long runs from the switch.  
That only works if you have power sockets where you need them. I had several (around 5 or 6 IIRC) Cisco Aironet WAP units around a site I worked at once. They were all powered over Ethernet simply because in the roof space of a large open warehouse-type structure, there were no power sockets.

In any case, I like equipment powered from sources I have control over. Plugging WAPs in locally means some idiot might switch them off. If they're wired back to the rack and powered from a UPS-backed switch or power injector, they're not likely to be switched off without me knowing about it..!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:55:01 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 08:19:08 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
We plug in the bricks at the same location that the router and telco equipment is at.  At the power brick, 1 CAT-5 line goes to the router, the other line goes to the WAP.  We use these in my church buildings. 

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:55 AM » Author: Rommie
We plug in the bricks at the same location that the router and telco equipment is at.  At the power brick, 1 CAT-5 line goes to the router, the other line goes to the WAP.  We use these in my church buildings.  
That's using power injectors and the WAP is fed power over the Ethernet link. That's fine, if you only have one or two devices. I meant using power bricks at the same location as the WAP and plugging it in directly. Firstly, it's not always possible as there isn't a power socket nearby, and secondly as I said, some idiot might switch it off.

I use a switch with PoE built in, that way I don't need a power injector for each device. At home, I only have a couple of IP phones, but when I was at work we had loads of devices all over the place so a separate power brick for each one would have been unmanageable.

By the way, Cat 5 is a bit out of date now, you might want to think about using Cat 6, or at the very least 5e.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:09:53 AM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 04:12:04 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Looks like there is an old telephone back plate on the wall..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 05:02:21 PM » Author: Cole D.
I see these on the ceilings of stores sometimes. Plus sometimes with antennas.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone know what is this device? « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 06:40:06 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
We don't need anything right now that the 5e supports so they'll use the regular 5 cable that was installed years ago. 

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies