Author Topic: What Light Source could I drive on a MOT?  (Read 957 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
What Light Source could I drive on a MOT? « on: June 24, 2018, 08:35:38 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Before there is a huge rant about me messing with 2kV - 2.5kV. I have lots of experience with MOTs and know how to treat them safely (I put some in some broken microwaves) I even have insulating gloves and a trip wire that turns everything off in case something goes wrong)

Now I don't want to kill a lamp but what lamp could I properly "ballast" and still run the lamp like it's supposed to be run but with different gear

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Light Source could I drive on a MOT? « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:41 PM » Author: Ash
Long series string of pretty much anything that can accept 0.5A..1A. Fluorescents and HIDs for which this current is about right, and even LED COBs in reverse-parallel pair

Don't count on gloves for HV, unless that's some linesman multi-kV gloves. Don't poke your fingers into the HV

MOT's are made to survive powering load for 10..15 min with fan cooling, as they do in the oven. If you run them longer than that, they will overheat..
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What Light Source could I drive on a MOT? « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:40:25 PM » Author: AngryHorse
You could drive a sulphur lamp on an MOT, but it would have to be constantly rotated, and you would have to find one first? ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Light Source could I drive on a MOT? « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:34 AM » Author: tolivac
The Sulphur plasma light is run from the output of the magnetron tube-visited a factory where these plasma lights were made.The company Fusion systems of Rockville,MD makes plasma mercury vapor curing lamps.Each bulb has its own magnetron power supply-1Kw to 2.5Kw.They simply use MOTS and magnetron tubes from commercial grade ovens.The lamps have no electrodes and they last longer than other lamps.The magnetron tube may have to be replaced before the lamp!They put fine screening over the lamp to prevent lerakage and RFI.The aging rooms where they age in the lamps was cool-lots of mercury glow there!!!They had borosilicate glass on the aging fixtures to block the UV so it was safe to go into the age room.They also showed me how the bulbs were made!A GREAT tour!!The Sulphur lamps are to be for general parking lot lighting.The Sulphur lamp and generator at one end of a light pipeand lens windows along its length to let out the greenish-yellow-white glow.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies