Author Topic: Do you have a favorite electric plug style?  (Read 3849 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you have a favorite electric plug style? « Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 07:52:59 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Photonicinductions 480V plug

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you have a favorite electric plug style? « Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 07:57:08 PM » Author: Rommie
Photonicinductions 480V plug
That's the IEC60309 European industry standard type.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do you have a favorite electric plug style? « Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 08:09:00 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
That's the IEC60309 European industry standard type.
Ooh, it has that fancy and scientific name, and thanks btw

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you have a favorite electric plug style? « Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 09:38:01 AM » Author: 589
In the US at least IEC60309 is also called pin and sleeve

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you have a favorite electric plug style? « Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 04:35:05 PM » Author: Rommie
The current Israeli standard have 2 disadvantages :

- The plugs/sockets are rated 16A, but their performance above 10A is questionable (the socket contacts in most sockets make too weak connection to reliably hold 16A)

- The plug is polarized, which lets the appliance manufacturers (and electricians etc) expect to have Phase and Neutral in specific positions. When the positions are not known (as in the European plugs), this forces the appliance manufacturers and electricians to treat both poles as live, which leads to safer work practices
That's debateable. If you have a non-polarised plug, then you have to switch both poles, which while theoretically a good idea means that double pole switches would have to be used everywhere, as switching the neutral and not the live is not a good idea  :o This adds expense which many manufacturers would not be over-keen on implementing, and if they did it would increase costs both to them and the end user.

I much prefer a polarised plug. You shouldn't be working on an appliance which is plugged in anyway.

I always treat any wires I can see as live, until I can prove them otherwise. The average end user will not.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies