Author Topic: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ?  (Read 2253 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « on: August 10, 2018, 05:18:23 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
So I started looking around ebay to see what prices they go for, and i may consider getting one someday but I'm wondering how they treat lamps ? Will it destroy the electrodes to run a lamp in the emergency mode or do these provide electrode heating? Certainly don't want to kill a lamp off if I got one of these for power outages

Administrator #5

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:44:18 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I’ve heard they make the lamps run in cold cathode mode
But idk why cold cathode mode shortens lamp life

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:34:25 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
It does shorten the life significantly for T8s, but not quite as bad on T12s.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:55:15 AM » Author: Medved
I’ve heard they make the lamps run in cold cathode mode
But idk why cold cathode mode shortens lamp life

Because cold, they do not form the electron cloud around them. So to support discharge, you need very strong electric field to pull the necessary electrons out. But this field then does accelerate the plasma ions towards the cathode, so form a stream of rather heavy fast moving particles towards the material.
There it act like sand in a sand blasting paint removing chamber: Erodes all from the surface of anything it is hitting, it is called sputtering. And the first thing what suffers there is the electron emission layer on the filament, the harder metals endure it a bit better. But when the emission layer is damaged (normally the main emission layer is just one atom thick barium, but that gets gradually recovered from the barium oxide layer underneath; but that needs some time on a high temperature, the process is designed to cover normal loss on normal hot cathode operation, but not the fast on cold cathode mode) or missing, the state is the same like happens after the whole lifetime is spent.

The emergency ballasts are designed to operate the lamps just about one hour per year for the regular test runs, while the lamps are expected to wear off due to normal use after two or three years (12h/day service), so the cold cathode wear is considered acceptable for the emergency use.
Of course operating the lamps in that way normally would become a very hungry lamp eater...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 01:02:26 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Can slimline lamps suffer from the affects of cold cathode discharge?

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:34 AM » Author: Medved
Can slimline lamps suffer from the affects of cold cathode discharge?

Yes, the same as other fluorescents.
The heat to warm up the cathodes does not come from the filament supply (well, except dimmable ballasts on a very reduced power setting), but from the ions bombarding it (at lower speed, so way less damaging, but still bombarding; that is the main mechanism how cathodes age - this bombardment does slowly wear the surface off, the low spead just means it is so slow the cathode endures the 20k hours of rated life).
Where the slimlines (and all lamps started without cathode preheat) do suffer is starting - because there is no means to heat up the cathodes before the arc is established, the arc is always burning for some time on cold cathodes before the ion bombardment delivers enough heat to warm the material up. It usually takes about a second or so.
By the way this is the main mechanism, why fluorescents do not like frequent starting in general. Although many ballast topologies do provide heating power to cathodes, usually it is just enough to allow easy arc strike, but still not enough to avoid the accelerated cold cathode wear.
To really avoid it, the preheating will need some seconds (too high power may reach the temperature sooner, but it may overheat the thinner parts of the filaments and damage them that way), what means quite noticeable delay between the switch turn ON and actually getting the light (it is how programmed start ballasts work and how they achieve the high lamp cycle life).
And dont get misled by the few second delay with a glowbottle starter preheat: There the few second delay is not preheating the lamps, but just heating up the starters to do something. The lamp preheating there is barely half second or so, so still not enough for a wear less starting.

No more selfballasted c***

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Do emergency ballasts ruin lamps ? « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:33 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I have an emergency ballast and the Philips ALTO F20T12 on it suffered a broken cathode very prematurely.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies