Author Topic: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires?  (Read 4096 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « on: August 30, 2018, 05:07:02 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I just got a glass drum light and another old light and both have cloth wired lamp sockets. Is this a fire/shock hazard or are they safe ?  ???
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:54:36 PM by Fluorescent05 » Logged

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:33:39 PM » Author: paintballer22
As long as the wire is not crumbling or showing copper you will be fine. I have a bunch of fixtures in daily use that still have cloth wires. 
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:57:41 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Thank you! :)

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 04:41:22 PM » Author: DieselNut
Many of my old fixtures have cloth wrapped wires and are fine.  Don't bend/flex them too much and you should be fine.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:35:14 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Many of my old fixtures have cloth wrapped wires and are fine.  Don't bend/flex them too much and you should be fine.

The glass drum light has the wires going through a small hole in the metal. Is that still safe or a fire hazard?

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:38:47 AM » Author: paintballer22
As long it did not cut into the wires.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 04:04:44 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Would it be ok to wrap the wires with electrical tape where they go through the hole?

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 11:49:18 PM » Author: takemorepills
I have "modern" (prob 1989 DOM) drum light fixtures in my garage. The wire in mine look like cloth, but are actually fiberglass over high temp wire. The fixture also has a circle of fiberglass inside of it to provide heat resistance.

Additionally, I have rewired many of my vintage fixtures with modern cloth wire.

I wouldn't over-think it. And, if it makes you feel better to tape the wire, please don't use Chinese crap tape. Buy some 3M high-temp electrical tape.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 07:12:45 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
This fixture is from the 1970s with brittle cloth wire.

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 05:03:20 PM » Author: hannahs lights
My mate gave me some cloth covered wire a few weeks ago I used it to wire some ES light sockets for my 25 watt colored bulbs also fitted a vintage 2 pin 5 amp plug to it. All fine I just make sure I dont touch it whilst its on
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 06:13:43 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Thank you! :)

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Should I still use light fixtures with cloth wires? « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 08:39:46 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Update: I tried out both of these fixtures and they work very well! :)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies