Author Topic: GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps???  (Read 5850 times)
Tedfnj
GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps??? « on: August 21, 2006, 02:38:16 PM » Author: Tedfnj
An off the wall question.  I know Sylvania (formerly GTE Sylvania) manufactured metal halide and HPS bulbs and ballasts for street lamps.  Has anyone ever heard of GTE Sylvania or Sylvania manufacturing the street lamp itself? 

Any assistance is appreciated
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps??? « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:50:10 PM » Author: Silverliner
You should ask this question in the street light section of this forum. But I will answer right here anyway. Yes GTE Sylvania made street lights, but mostly for the Canadian market. I do not know why they were not marketed in the USA, but Sylvania did market other types of outdoor fixtures. They made a dusk to dawn fixture similar to GE's PowrBracket. They also made large mushroom parking lot fixtures and outdoor floodlights. BTW, Sylvania's Canadian street light operations were sold to Powerlite in 1993, and in turn Powerlite was bought by T&B in 1998. Hope this helps.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Dimiz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps??? « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:13:56 AM » Author: Dimiz
Where I live in Melbourne Australia, Sylvania made streetlights are in the majority. They have virtually taken over from Osram and some Westinghouse fixtures. I'll can supply some pics if you want.

Could never explain why I risk so much to collect them!

NiMo

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps??? « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:29:05 AM » Author: NiMo
You should ask this question in the street light section of this forum. But I will answer right here anyway. Yes GTE Sylvania made street lights, but mostly for the Canadian market. I do not know why they were not marketed in the USA, but Sylvania did market other types of outdoor fixtures. They made a dusk to dawn fixture similar to GE's PowrBracket. They also made large mushroom parking lot fixtures and outdoor floodlights. BTW, Sylvania's Canadian street light operations were sold to Powerlite in 1993, and in turn Powerlite was bought by T&B in 1998. Hope this helps.
Actually,they were marketed here in the US under the Regent brand.

Group Replacement, Baby

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: GTE Sylvania or Sylvania Street lamps??? « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 10:59:19 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Yes, Jason I actually have heard of that! I really wish they were excessively used here! I like the old looking designs!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies