Author Topic: What the new 5G cell towers will look like  (Read 7415 times)
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 12:48:33 AM » Author: tolivac
If the 5G transmitter is generating only milliwatts-what is the worry???Too many Chicken Littles in the world!Their phone could generate a stronger field than the 5G transmitter since the phone is in your hand rather than on a tower.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 09:35:07 AM » Author: Rommie
If the 5G transmitter is generating only milliwatts-what is the worry???Too many Chicken Littles in the world!Their phone could generate a stronger field than the 5G transmitter since the phone is in your hand rather than on a tower.
My point exactly. It's the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) mentality. They want their phones to work, but they don't want the masts anywhere near them. Go figure.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 03:26:21 PM » Author: Medved
My point exactly. It's the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) mentality. They want their phones to work, but they don't want the masts anywhere near them. Go figure.

... and are complete ignorant of the simple fact than when the tower is further away, their own phone in their hand has to wind up its transmitting power. So at the end even when the radiation would be a problem, having the cell tower far away makes it just worse...

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 12:40:15 AM » Author: tolivac
The transmitter plant where I work is about 15 miles out of town.The few people that live out here don't seem to notice the site or care.At another station I workedat the neighbor commented on the towers and asked how long they were there-I told him since 1959 when the site was built! He didn't notice until that day-and two of the towers were 175Ft high the other 375 ft high!Two AM towers and the taller one for an FM antenna.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 11:19:51 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Wonder when satellite technology will evolve enough to replace cell towers all together. I like towers so you can't use that backyard argument on me. I was simply misguided by the whole microwave tower bullahiz. Now I still think this 5g system would be a bit inferior in rural areas. I doubt people want a radio masts peppering the country side in greater numbers than they already do nor does that seem very practical.

And I never complain when my phone stops receiving service. Because it never does unless I'm underground. 9 times out of ten me losing service is my own fault. Not the fault of the 4g service I receive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:23:50 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 07:15:35 AM » Author: Medved
Wonder when satellite technology will evolve enough to replace cell towers all together.

It won't. The main reason is, the satellite far away, so covers large area. And that is the problem: If it "talks" to you on some channel (combination of frequency, CDMA code or other selectivity things), the same channel becomes occupied on the whole area the satellite covers. So with only very few users you run out of the available radio spectrum room.
With local towers you have very small area coverage per each tower, a bit larger, but still quite small area where the tower would interfere on the same channels it operates, so still quite short distance away you may have another tower using exactly the same channels to serve other users.
This is completely impossible from a sattelite, so you really need local cell base stations.
Of course, the smaller the area they are serving becomes, the better they could be "blended" into the environment, but you need more of them.
From that perspective the presented G5 cell station is way better (just some extension of an existing light poles) than e.g. a GSM (15m high towers with large antenna panels), or even an AM broadcast transmitter tower (100's m high steel mast with many support cables).

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 11:33:53 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Where I'm living right now, I'm on a booster that (barely, in the house only) gives me 4G.  Not even LTE.  Ironically, as soon as you get out of the remote b bay I'm living in by boat, my phone immediately connects to LTE and works out there, in the middle of nowhere on open water.  I'll be on the boat, texting/talking/Facebooking in the middle of nowhere, with five bars. 

Wonder how 5G would fare in such situations- will phones drop back to LTE, much as the can drop back to 4G from LTE?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What the new 5G cell towers will look like « Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 05:09:16 AM » Author: Medved
Where I'm living right now, I'm on a booster that (barely, in the house only) gives me 4G.  Not even LTE.  Ironically, as soon as you get out of the remote b bay I'm living in by boat, my phone immediately connects to LTE and works out there, in the middle of nowhere on open water.  I'll be on the boat, texting/talking/Facebooking in the middle of nowhere, with five bars. 

Wonder how 5G would fare in such situations- will phones drop back to LTE, much as the can drop back to 4G from LTE?

The signal strength is governed mainly by obstacles and not that much by the distance (to be well above the noise floor in an open area, even 100mW reaches 10's of km; GPS satellites have few W, yet you can receive them anywhere on the globe if over your head), but whether you have direct sight between the transmitter and receiver.
And that is way more likely on an open sea than inside of a city (it is not only the buildings, but as well all the vegetation, what blocks the signal). After all the signals are the same physical nature as normal light, just different wavelengths. So unless something provides some signal reflection, no sight means just no signal. And the occasional random reflections are not that much efficient, so the distance is very limited when there are obstacles.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies