Author Topic: Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members.  (Read 3444 times)
DieselNut

View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « on: August 08, 2018, 05:14:54 PM » Author: DieselNut
It is sad that this happens anywhere in life, but on a lighting forum? Come on folks! I have met some great people through this site, both in person and through cyber space. It is a shame that one bad person can ruin things for many others. Thank you Daveman and the others running this site for taking care of any issues that develop. Keep up the good work!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 06:58:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Sad (and kinda surprising) to hear that stuff like this is happening on LG.

Thanks Daveman & the other admins/mods for keeping up with this site.

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

streetlight98

View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:29:49 PM » Author: streetlight98
Man... It's one thing to have differences of opinion or debates on-site but what happens on the site should stay on the site, and never carry into personal life. Hopefully this can be settled without having to ban people but I suppose that action if it is warranted. Busting people's chops and debating is one thing, but harassment and continual jabs to no end are inexcusable on site or off, but especially off-site. Just adds a whole level of creepiness IMO. I know I go off the rails a little with my narrow opinions but there's a difference between public comments and PMs, emails, texts, phone calls.

To the rest of the world we are all weirdos (don't mean to speak for everyone; some of us undoubtedly blend in more than others; I have a pretty big collection so I don't blend well with the "rest of mankind" lol) so with that said, we should all try to be close friends, because compared to the world population there are not very many of us. Hobbies are only fun if you have people to share them with. The beauty of the internet is that you just might find another collector who doesn't live to far from you and then you can meet in person and hopefully hit it off. Then you can really relate to one another because you see the same lighting. I've met several lighting enthusiasts locally and without the internet (specifically this site and GoL) I would have never known they existed!

Powergroove

View Gallery

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:37:36 PM » Author: Powergroove
It should be about the lights. As for myself I think T8 and LEDISEASE  has made lighting a little less fun. I can't state facts about any lighting without getting attacked by someone. LED has polarized this site. To me a led is like a prius and a F40/ADV30, 35, 41, or 50 is like a diesel truck. Put enough priuses together and they may be able to pull an eighty thousand pound load just like you put enough led's together it will light a room. The prius is more efficient but it doesn't have the output of a diesel truck. Just like a LED is more efficient than a F40 but it doesn't have the output. I was reported to the administration for this analogy and had my comments deleted by an administrator. The one that reported my comment went so far as to delete his comments from pics I have posted. This is why I don't post as much as I use to. If my opinion on something offends someone thats life. If I don't agree with someone elses opinion I voice it. People today are just too thin skinned to handle that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:43:24 PM by Powergroove » Logged

Keep government out of the lighting industry.

streetlight98

View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 07:55:26 PM » Author: streetlight98
I agree LEDs have polarized the site. I don't think they are fit to take over all applications though they've certainly come a long way from 10 years ago when "A shape" lamps were really PAR20s with half a ping pong ball glued to it to make it "omi-directional". I think in many aspects they've got a long way to go too, though I will admit I've warmed up to them considerably though I can argue either side. No doubt the old tech was way better built (with anything, not just lighting) and will last forever properly maintained. Unfortunately manufacturers make the old tech worse and worse until the new tech is out best option.

The new tech is efficient for sure... efficient for manufacturer's bottom lines. The old stuff costs them sales because it lasts too long. The only way for them to make people get rid of stuff that works (and likely will continue working for decades) is to sell you on the illusion that their new stuff is "better" than what you currently have. Otherwise you'd keep what you have because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Then they talk you into the new stuff and next thing you know you're replacing it every few years. The automobile industry is probably most aggressive with this approach, with new models coming out every year and companies bashing other companies. No one makes a problem-free vehicle. They're all junk. And the more luxurious the brand the more issues it seems. Up here in New England no matter what you buy it rots out in 10 years from all the salt spray in the winter months and the high humidity during the summer.

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:23:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yep there's allot of 'issues' over LED stuff here .lol. I'm fine with LEDs if that's what others want to use...as for me I'm sticking with fluorescent for most rooms (& incandescent for the others). (testing out a couple LED tubes in the laundry room, & might put one in the shed for cold winter nights - but I don't want them in any living space)

Anymore I won't even bother to reply to rude obnoxious members comments, will just report them (luckily reporting isn't something I've needed to do but once or twice in all the years I've been here). I'd never even think to do crazy/stalker stuff like finding their phone# & calling them. Shocked
Simple fact is not everyone is going to get along, doesn't matter where/what it is . The guys here that I dislike, I ignore their pic's (actually I don't even see them). Its basically what I'd recommend others do as well.

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:25:10 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: streetlight98
10 years ago when "A shape" lamps were really PAR20s with half a ping pong ball glued to it
LOL.LOL.LOL streetlight98 Grin

takemorepills

View Gallery

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 09:09:59 PM » Author: takemorepills
I know that this kind of stuff has been happening forever in society.

But, it seems worse in the internet age. People have become real jackholes.

In Seattle, people will try and attack you if you wear a Trump shirt. They feel it is "ok" and "justified". I call it the "paradox of tolerance".

I intentionally do not allow my son to be a part of social media in anyway. He is almost 11 years old, and he will not be getting a smartphone from us, and we hawk over him any time he is using the internet. The worst people think the internet is a license to hurt other people.
Globe Collector

View Gallery

Preserving the Brightest Ideas of Our Age

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 09:21:26 PM » Author: Globe Collector
   I, (as a non-North American member) am disappointed to hear of this.

The way Dave's statement is worded suggests that this issue seems to be confined to North American members, but bullying can happen anywhere at any time.....I know because I was in the receiving end of plenty of it in the 1970's.

I agree with Mike's second paragraph above....we are a bit of "an odd breed" and we have the marvel of cyber communications to bring us and our common interests together. As an older member, (>50 y.o.) I would hope that I now possess the maturity to be beyond such behavior and would like to re-iterate for younger members just how "lucky" they are that they need not use pen, paper and stamps to contact another collector or someone of similar interests and passions and to appreciate that fact.

I sincerely hope that the offender is just some troll that is banned and that no valuable members are lost...because there really ain't that many of us.

I recall that when I registered to join this site I had to make some sort of statement/pledge/test regarding lighting and luminaires ..... which I passed and was informed it was one of the most passionate. That said, if Dave and other administrators would like to "Beef-Up" this test/pledge to raise the bar and keep trolls out....I would be happy to assist.

Andrew P.

Manufactured articles should be made to be used, not made to be sold!

Fee, Fye, Fow, Fum, A dead man's eye and a parrot's BUM!

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:19 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: takemorepills
I intentionally do not allow my son to be a part of social media in anyway. He is almost 11 years old, and he will not be getting a smartphone from us, and we hawk over him any time he is using the internet.
This is what every parent should be doing! Kids should not be left to roam free on the net, and where the computer/tablet/phone is practically their babysitter/parent.

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:48:04 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Wow sad to hear its happening on here too. At times I've had disagreements on things or called people out but would never take it far like this. It just isn't worth it, At the end of the day, we are all here because of a common interest, which is lighting, no matter the type. I'm always gonna be a fan of the older stuff because its what I know the most, and I tend to dislike most of the newer stuff however there are some exceptions, like the LED filament bulbs. I actually like those and will use them over incandescent. Mostly because they run very cool and they give off interesting EOL schemes. I got a daylight 7w one outside right now thats partially EOL and running only 25% brightness for a week now.

Hopefully whatever issue is going on between these members can be resolved peacefully

View Gallery

Knight of the D-line streetlights

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:52:45 PM » Author: 589
Wow thatís not good. This site has also is a great outlet for me and I have met some great people here online and in person. I hope that we can learn from this experience and use it to build an even more civil community.

#ramble begin
It seems the art of debate and respectful disagreement is slowly disappearing. It seems as if at times when someone disagrees with something it gets treated as if their physical being has been put in peril, causing massive overreactions on both sides. Thereís massive amounts of hyperbole and hyper-emotional wording used with little to no facts. It can be either you agree or you deserve to die, it seems at times some accept no middle ground. Motives during disagreement are no longer to win your opponent, just to smash them to bits.  We need to all be civil, itís a big part of how CIVILization works. Otherwise weíre just acting like a bunch of animals.

A self-check question I posit to the community:

Whatís it like to be on the other side of me?

Meaning what would you think of yourself if you were the person you were interacting with? Itís just a way to ask yourself if you are treating others how you would want to be treated by them. Treating other people with respect and honor among other virtues is a high road choice that we must face when disagreement occurs. When it is hardest to do is most often when it counts the most. I fail this all the time, doesnít mean that I should stop making progress to the goal. Neither should anyone else.

4 sources of wisdom that have help me to be more civil, (YMMV):

1. Bible (proverbs and NT especially)
2. Wise people, especially old wise people
3. Jordan Petersonís work
4. Stefan Molyneuxís work

Some may not like some or any of the above sources, thatís fine, they are just ones that have been working for me in my situation and I thought it good to share what has been successful for me.

#ramble end
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:02:51 PM by 589 » Logged

Low Pressure Sodium

Lumex120

View Gallery

105555521242365640724 UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:58 PM » Author: Lumex120
Well, it's honestly quite shocking (and sad) to me to know that this has happened.

**Wall of text ahead**
 When I joined LG, one of the reasons was because I had been reading it for a long time before (since I was like 10 or 11) and saw that the community generally seemed very pleasant and welcoming, which isn't something you will find on most hobby forums. LG was one of a handful of sites I was a regular on, but recently I have "opened up" a bit more and am now a member of more communities since toxicity doesn't bother me so much anymore. (I was 13 when I joined LG, what do you expect). I know things like this happen all the time around the web, but to have it happen here of all places is rather shocking to say the least. I just hope this doesn't massively affect the community in the future.

I also don't really think having an interest in lighting means you're not a "normal" person. Only a few of my close friends know about my interests, and that's only because they asked what my interests were. I never bring them up when having a conversation with someone I don't know that well unless they ask me, and I really don't think being a lighting nut is anything to be ashamed of. Having someone know of your interests isn't like coming out as gay to your family.

One more thing, can we all just agree that LEDs are another lighting technology and it sucks they are replacing everything? I know I have let you all know how much I dislike them and all that, but I'm trying to not be that way anymore. It's stupid to hate each other over a device that converts electricity to light.

LEDs = Downgrade 99% of the applications.

AngryHorse

View Gallery

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 12:44:09 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Out of interest, please tell me it wasn't LED that fueled the above mentioned abuse?, as that's just sad......

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy Cheesy

mima

View Gallery

Re: Site announcement: Regarding cyber bullying and stalking of members. « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 12:58:18 AM » Author: mima
Wow, it's sad to read such a thing right here on LG. I always saw this site as a welcoming place full of nice people, honestly I'd never expect such a thing to happen here.

But apart from LG, which besides this single episode in this regard is still a special place, I see that these bad behaviours are becoming more common as time passes, both in and outside Internet. People are becoming always less able to withstand opinions different from theirs, and when faced with different ideas they attack like if the interlocutor would have offended their family. I find that especially the whole social networking mania of these last years is exacerbating this. People feel protected behind their screens, and feel entitled to offend others just because they have different ideas.

This happens not only in Facebook & co, but in other dedicated forums too. As a wannabe keyboardist with the passion for synthesizers and sound synthesis, I'm part of a couple of music-related forums, and offence because of different ideas unfortunately it's not an uncommon event. Analog vs digital, music genre vs music genre, Mac vs PC, etc are common sources of big flame wars.

Sometimes I think that we all should take a pause from the Internet and social newtorks, and regain complete control of our lives and our behaviours. Keeping going this way will lead to nothing good.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:39:16 AM by mima » Logged

Gimme a discharge lamp and a humming ballast Grin

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines