Author Topic: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI?  (Read 4842 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 01:45:00 PM » Author: Rommie
Don't use wifi all that much these days, I prefer wired Ethernet. If I do use it, I tend to use 5 GHz, nobody else on that band near here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 10:47:35 PM » Author: joseph_125
I would actually expect the modern microwaves to be more likely killing out the 2.4GHz band. The reason is, the tradditional magnetron supply designs feed the magnetron only in one half wave (8 or 10ms out of 16 or 20ms period), the other half-wave the current flows through a rectifier diode, so magnetron is quiet and so communication may take place. And all protocols used at 2.4GHz are designed for this type of band use (after all the energetic use, where the microwave ovens belong, are primary service the 2.4GHz band is reserved for by ITU; becuse it is obviously hard to cause any disturbance to ovens when using the same band for some communication, the 2.4GHz band was allocated as license free for digital communication as a secondary service).
It is only some recent microwave oven models, whose use a HF electronic inverter (usually operating in the 20..50kHz range on these power levels) instead of the bulky mains transformer, where the magnetron will actually radiate during both mains half waves (modulated just by the 20..50kHz HF but that is too short gaps for how the 2.4GHz communication protocols are designed).

So if there would be any problems from microwaves disturbing WiFi, BT or any other 2.4GHz protocol, it would more likely be some brand new oven and not any old one.

I found that to be the case for me, I didn't have any issues with the microwave oven interfering with WiFi signals until I got a new oven around a year ago.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 07:42:32 AM » Author: Rommie
I found that to be the case for me, I didn't have any issues with the microwave oven interfering with WiFi signals until I got a new oven around a year ago.
We bought a new oven about a year ago as well, but as I said we don't use wifi all that often. Haven't had any problems, anyway.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Nope it doesn't (really it shouldn't either unless the microwaves are leaking out  :o (or your computer is cooking in the microwave .lol. ))

I prefer using wired ethernet when I can - & I have my computers connected that way, even the laptop when  its sitting on a desk at home. But some devices (like a tablet) are WiFi only - plus wouldn't make sense to be dragging a cable if you're walking around the house with said device.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 07:02:23 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I generally prefer using wired Ethernet for desktops and other fixed devices. The WiFI is only for stuff like laptops and mobiles devices like phones and tablets.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 07:04:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Nope it doesn't (really it shouldn't either unless the microwaves are leaking out  :o (or your computer is cooking in the microwave .lol. ))

I prefer using wired ethernet when I can - & I have my computers connected that way, even the laptop when  its sitting on a desk at home. But some devices (like a tablet) are WiFi only - plus wouldn't make sense to be dragging a cable if you're walking around the house with said device.

Same here. We have three laptops, all are on docking stations with additional monitors and USB mice and other peripherals connected. If we need to take a machine anywhere, it's easy to just unclip it from the docking station.

The only device we have that has to use wifi is a Kindle e-reader, and it only needs to do that when we're downloading a new book to it. Wires are best, here is a shot of our network rack under the desk  ;D

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:37 AM » Author: migette1
Interesting, without getting too technical is it something like a door seal letting the microwaves escape, never had that problem myself but that would be worth checking and if leaky they could cause troubles to your health, I remember having a go at some idiot playing about with a magnetron he had removed and was powered up by the transformer he was lucky to still be alive or not blinded. They do not know he dangers they are in and should not be put out on You Tube for others to try.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 09:30:33 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
Wires are best, here is a shot of our network rack under the desk  ;D
Not as nice as your setup...but there's a switch with a big bundle of wires like that under my 'desk' as well .LOL.

Quote from: sox35
  he makes it VERY clear in all his videos NOT to try doing something like this yourself.
Any video I make with stuff that's even somewhat dangerous gets a danger/do-not-try warning as well.
I wish I had a machine like that thing he uses to fry stuff...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 09:36:33 AM » Author: Medved
There is huge difference between the few mW that may easily disturb any communication at the frequency, vs the few 10W range allowed by safety standards. Make the seal to attenuate the 1.5kWPEP magnetron output below 10W is not that complex, but to attemuate below mW levels is impossible. It is this reaso, why microwaves are kept as the primary band users of the frequency: A leakage potentially disturbing comminications is unavoidable, so it is the secondary users business to deal with that.
Normally the leakages are in the 0.1..1W range, so way bellow any safety concern, but way above any legal communication can handle on a signal strength only (maximum power for communication is 100mW ERP, so at any distance this would be weaker than the oven leakage).
So the only option left is to utilize the time gaps appearing in the ovens radiation (so within the 8..10ms per mains period, where the magnetron is quiet).
But the desire for a higher microwave heating power with the PEP power limitations (originating from the arcing management; quite a physics limit in the microwave design), the only option is to increase the duty ratio: So instead to operate just less tha  50% of the mains cycle, let the magnetron operate in both mains halfwaves (so nearly continuously; the reason this is used only now is, the more complex electronic becomes cost acceptable only now). That allows twice the microwave heating power, but gives then really no room on the frequency for any secondary user...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 05:40:26 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The microwave I had was a really old looking one with a blue VFD clock display on it and a wood grain and chrome finish on the exterior. Its design also didn't feature a rotating plate inside, instead your food sat still and the microwaves were distributed with a metal propeller looking thing located above the food. Anytime this was in use the wifi would drop out. Eventually this microwave died and was replaced with a smaller white Danby one and it does absolutely nothing to the wifi or any other radio in the building. Danby is still in use to this day and has not bothered anything. It also uses much less power than the old beast it replaced
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:41:59 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 05:53:45 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The microwave I had was a really old looking one with a blue VFD clock display on it and a wood grain and chrome finish on the exterior. Its design also didn't feature a rotating plate inside, instead your food sat still and the microwaves were distributed with a metal propeller looking thing located above the food. Anytime this was in use the wifi would drop out. Eventually this microwave died and was replaced with a smaller white Danby one and it does absolutely nothing to the wifi or any other radio in the building. Danby is still in use to this day and has not bothered anything. It also uses much less power than the old beast it replaced
Our first microwave was back in the early 80s it didn't have a turntable either and it just had a rotary dial for the timer.!

Wi-Fi hadn't been invented then...  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:56:13 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #26 on: January 31, 2020, 06:32:29 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Our first microwave was back in the early 80s it didn't have a turntable either and it just had a rotary dial for the timer.!

Wi-Fi hadn't been invented then...  :D

Mine was JUST new enough to have normal buttons lol

Administrator #5

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Does your Microwave Interfere with your WIFI? « Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 08:43:01 AM » Author: migette1
My question is why cannot the makers ensure the time displays always work, I know its not important and does not effect the general use...this refers to Panasonic CT857 which was a very good buy on ebay hardly been used and does pizzas really well.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies