Author Topic: Moontowers in Austin Texas now LED  (Read 2471 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Moontowers in Austin Texas now LED « on: October 01, 2018, 04:07:24 PM » Author: lights*plus
Some of you might know that I'm writing a few ebooks with lots of pictures. If you are near the Austin moontowers, I pay $25USD for a good (horizontal) pic of the new LED lamps lit at dusk. I just need a fair closeup something like the attached. If you got no choice to shoot in daylight with unlit lamps, please use a flash. If you are in Houston or San Antonio, I'll also pay for your gas. PM me.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moontowers in Austin Texas now LED « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:38:22 AM » Author: funkybulb
  I live about 1 hour away from Austin, Texas
I usually hit restores.  only thing for me to take
photos at dusk that will require me to do a hotel
stay as I cant drive after dark. I am not worried
about fuel expense going to austin though.
that give me a idea for a weekend planning
for austin to experance at night since i have
not done so since 1999.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Moontowers in Austin Texas now LED « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:39:25 AM » Author: lights*plus
I was about to contact a photographer who has a gallery of the moontowers to use one of his pics (attached). But then I thought, it would be better if I can get a more recent pic since they are with LED systems now.

All of Austin's moontowers were photographed in 2006 when they still carried mercury lamps by Andy Mattern: HERE. (Scroll to the right, click on each for bigger). As you can see, most of them were photographed near dusk, when the lamps were lit (a few not working) but the sky still bright. For someone who has problems driving at night, getting a similar pic would would be difficult. Planning is key. Fortunately all the locations of the towers are identified on each pic (just google-map the crossroads listed). You can be at a tower ready to shoot when they come on, then immediately leave. Hopefully it will still be bright enough for your drive back. If that's not possible, then a stay overnight is in order, photographing a tower (and possibly two) well into the night. Let me know what you think as I'm open to suggestions. Compensating two hours of gas round-trip would pose no problem on my part.

Here's a TIMELINE of these towers with a few more links at the bottom.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:49:13 AM by lights*plus » Logged
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Moontowers in Austin Texas now LED « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 03:24:48 PM » Author: lights*plus
A daytime pic, like the attached on my initial post, would be more than adequate. You will probably need a zoom telephoto lens since the top of these towers are (said to be) at 165 feet.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies