Author Topic: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting  (Read 5219 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:12 AM » Author: 589
I like this as it is reasonably objective, watch it with an open mind and watch the whole thing if you can. It has some good Easter eggs.

https://youtu.be/wIC-iGDTU40

:lps:

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:20:28 AM » Author: wattMaster
I like this video, but he forgot to talk about glare and ballast replacements.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:46:47 AM » Author: 589
He did miss a few details, even so still the best I’ve seen on the subject so far. I understand him missing the glare issue, what about ballast replacements did he miss? I must have missed that!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:44 AM » Author: wattMaster
LEDs can have a wickedly high number of possible combinations when connected on a circuit board, and this means there are many possible drivers. That means it's more likely that the fixtures don't get fixed because there are too many drivers to choose from. Also, in a few models of fixture, the LEDs themselves aren't replaceable.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 01:35:36 PM » Author: 589
Nailed it, that is definitely an LED issue right now. The Zhaga Consortium is an entity looking to solve that issue in the future thankfully.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 01:48:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Wow, these guys have done their homework!, some interesting pros and cons here, but it's cool that LEDs can be made in colour's to mimic hid lighting for environmental sensitive area's. Can't really speak about 5000 /6000 K led road lighting here, as it's not used, 4000 K is the standard colour for the UK, but would like to see them just as something different.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 02:10:17 PM » Author: Lumex120
I'm just hoping that in the future LEDs will become standardized like HID. When HPS first came out, there were manufacturers making proprietary gear and lamps. (like 175 and 125w HPS)

Unofficial LG Discord

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:04:24 PM » Author: 589
Yea right now everyone’s jockeying for position to be the standard since the tech is so new.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A reasonable outlook on streetlighting « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 01:41:47 AM » Author: tolivac
There needs to be some ANSI standards for LEDS and their drivers just as for HID and fluorescent.The video is VERY pro LED-He needs to drive the section of Greenville BVD vs another section-one is lit by HPS the other LED.In inclimate weather-fog,rain,sleet,etc the HPS shows up better than the LED.Either light source pollution can be controlled by fixture DESIGN.Remember LED tech is still in its infancy.I do like the idea of dimming or variqble color that can be available from LED.Some thought of this are the LED streetlights are dimmed when there is no traffic.When a car comes the lights ramp up their brightness.Folks will have to get used to that.Could be distracting.The video states about the possible long LED life-this doesn't work out in the real world.HID tech is pretty established and manufactueres and users know the life of these devices-for LED the life of emitters and drivers is still not fully known-and like many semiconductor products can vary widely.also other components in LED drivers-like electrolytic caps in their driver supply-electrolytics are among the LEAST reliable electronic parts!Usual HIDs do not contain electrolytic caps-excepting those with electronic or digital ballasts.Again life of those ballasts is still not fully known.And with electronic HID ballasts and LED drivers there is potential RFI or EMI unless the devices are properly designed and shielded.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies