Author Topic: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss?  (Read 975 times)
dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:59 AM » Author: dor123
Are the admins, periodically backups the website to prevent a total loss in case of a server or HDD crash?
The Hebrew Mozilla community website have already experienced it on their own , since they didn't did periodically backups of their community.

I"m don't speak english well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I hope that LED won't replace all forms of other light

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:05:19 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Thats a good question! I would like to think that it is handled automatically by the service that hosts lighting gallery... assuming that the site is on a web host service.

Hopefully it is backed up though, I use my albums on LG as a personal catalog on my collection. I go through it sometimes when I need to check of I have a certain lamp or fixture. My collection has grown to where I can't remember exactly what I have without pulling it out of storage or checking on here
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:18:16 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:59 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
It's almost certainly backed up on the hosting service. Given the sheer amount of traffic this site sees, I'd be surprised if it's hosted on a private server. Even so, when I used to run a website some years ago, I always kept an up-to-date copy of the entire system on a network backup drive at home.

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 09:05:30 PM » Author: Patrick
Yes, we do have off-site backups, so even if the hosting company can't restore the server we should be set.  Also, it's not only for use in the event of a total loss.  If one of you merely deletes a photo by mistake, let us know and I can try to get it back.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

dor123

View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 11:35:48 PM » Author: dor123
Thanks. I worry about this, since what happened to the Hebrew Mozilla community. They didn't did periodically backup, and all of the community was lost.

I"m don't speak english well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I hope that LED won't replace all forms of other light

Medved

View Gallery

Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:31 PM » Author: Medved
The regular backup/disaster recovery is, together with the physical protection of the computers, the largest part of the service you are normally paying for to these web hosting companies. It usually means the data are stored at multiple physically separated locations, so even sudden complete computer center building destruction can not cause significant (= more than one day or so, with prominent, more expensive, services even way shorter than that) data loss.
The computers alone, the electricity and the data connection costs are then minority cost contributors.

Of course, hosting sites on home computers is way cheaper, but way more prone to such data losses...

No more selfballasted c***

MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:04 AM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Of course, hosting sites on home computers is way cheaper, but way more prone to such data losses...
And unless the site owner has a very fast upload speed, significantly slower for the users.

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

Miss Cuddly

View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

ATL sammi.grayjones@gmail.com
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:49:02 AM » Author: Miss Cuddly
We make regular backups of our HDDs to a dedicated RAID5 array drive.  Smiley

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

LED lighting has its place in the home or other indoor uses, but outdoors in street lights is in my opinion not one of them.

MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 01:31:04 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
We make regular backups of our HDDs to a dedicated RAID5 array drive.  Smiley
Yes, it's the unit on the right in the lower part of our network rack. The left-hand one is used as a file server. Some of the critical system files are backed up off site to Dropbox.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:40:57 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria in Aberdeen

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 03:03:22 PM » Author: rjluna2
I guess you have the pink network cables here Cheesy

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: Periodically backup of the website, in case of a total loss? « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:37:40 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
I guess you have the pink network cables here Cheesy
Of course  Cheesy

There is actually a colour code for the cables, yellow is 10/100Mbit/sec, pink is gigabit, red is for devices carrying power over ethernet and blue is telephone lines. Ok so there doesn't have to be a different colour for gigabit, but I had the cables, so I thought why not.?  Grin

Ria in Aberdeen

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines