Author Topic: HV rated wiring  (Read 518 times)
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

ATL missriaelaine
HV rated wiring « on: September 01, 2018, 06:54:55 AM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Hi all,

This is aimed at members in the UK, as shipping from overseas is likely to be prohibitively expensive  Undecided

Does anyone know of a source of wiring suitable for running between an ignitor and lampholder on HPS or MH fittings..? I need something that can reliably handle the ≤5kV pulse from the ignitor. Also it needs to withstand the temperatures encountered in fittings.

Thanks,

Ria

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

wattMaster

View Gallery

Re: HV rated wiring « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:56:13 AM » Author: wattMaster
If you had a way of getting it easily, this wire could be used: http://www.radix-wire.com/product_pdfs/Durablend_200.pdf
It's technically not rated for HV but it seems to work well in US streetlights.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:58:08 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Stop LED Streetlights! www.streetlights.info
StopLEDstreetlights.com

MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: HV rated wiring « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 05:09:22 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Thanks, I think I've found something from this side of the water at not too bad a price  Smiley

Ria in Aberdeen

I don't disapprove of LED's for domestic and other indoor use, I just don't like them for street lighting.

sol

View Gallery

Re: HV rated wiring « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 06:07:55 PM » Author: sol
I buy electric stove (cooker) repair kits. Various types are available at any hardware store here, some are just a couple of lengths of high temperature fibreglass insulated wire (to go from the switch to the heating element, so definitely high heat) and a couple of connectors. The only downside is that you are limited to the length as the pieces are already cut and some have crimp on connectors already installed (that you can clip off and use whatever you want).

My big MH table lamp (in my gallery) uses such wire, and I've never had a problem with it. I don't hot-restrike it on purpose very often, and the power is quite stable here so it very rarely gets a hot restrike.
Xytrell

View Gallery

Re: HV rated wiring « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:00:14 PM » Author: Xytrell
300VAC and 600VAC rated wire is tested with 3KV and 6KV HF AC respectively. Regular wire is very unlikely to break down at millisecond pulses of 5kV. Even in the event of a failure, a small spark is all that would occur.

Peak ratings and average ratings of most things in this world are very different. A 1N4007 diode for example is only rated for a constant 1Amp of current, but is rated for a whopping 30 amps of current for 8ms at a time. I have personally tried to punch through 30VDC rated wire insulation with 15kVAC neon transformer with no luck. There's a lot of corona, but no arcing for the 20 seconds I tried it.

I have had no problem running standard 300VAC wire and standard lamp sockets with pulse start gear, even in cases where the lamp has failed and the ignitor was running constantly for days. If you wanted to be 99.999% safe instead of 99.9% safe, you could shell out the money for high voltage wire, but it isn't necessary in my opinion.
MissRiaElaine

View Gallery

ATL missriaelaine
Re: HV rated wiring « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 12:16:21 PM » Author: MissRiaElaine
Thanks for that, useful information. I've not had a problem so far, but a few people did raise concerns about it so it does no harm to check  Smiley

Ria in Aberdeen

Print 
© 2005-2018 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines