Author Topic: Startup color of HPS  (Read 5744 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 06:31:28 AM » Author: Rommie
I just like running the 600W HPS lights-but only for no more than a few hrs per day-esp with the 1000W one.These were intended for plant growers-imagine their power bills when they run these for 12-or even 24 hrs per day!
I don't think the 'dodgy' growers worry about that, they bypass the meters  :o ;D

I don't run big lamps for too long, the biggest one I have (1kW mercury) gets run for two or three hours once a month or so, that's enough on my power bill..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 02:43:14 AM » Author: tolivac
I do like the glow from these lights-the Gavita 750W and 1000W give a more whitish glow than usual HPS lights.These fixtures used the double end bulbs-the bulb is quaertz so you can't touch it with your hands-use a glove or rag.You hve to handle them like quartz AV projection bulbs.the 600W have the standard glass outer bulb.The ballasts for all of these are HF digital.The after glow of these is awesome as well.But I don't grow plants-these lights satisfy my "flashoholic" needs.also love the CMH 315W lamps -4K,3 K colors.These I run more since they use less power.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 09:26:42 PM » Author: Cole D.
Tonight when I went for a walk, I noticed that NEMA head fixture did not turn on, so I guess the bulb finally went EOL. But what is odd was, it seemed to work fine last night and I did not see it cycle. But as we were talking about, it was a MV color at startup, so I guess it finally went out.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 01:44:52 AM » Author: Medved
Tonight when I went for a walk, I noticed that NEMA head fixture did not turn on, so I guess the bulb finally went EOL. But what is odd was, it seemed to work fine last night and I did not see it cycle. But as we were talking about, it was a MV color at startup, so I guess it finally went out.

There could be an anti cycling ignitor: Once the lamp cycles few times, it stops generating pulses, so the lamp remains off. Usually reset by power cycling - so the next evening it will be again few cycles...

No more selfballasted c***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 08:41:10 PM » Author: Cole D.
Oddly, when I went for a walk tonight, the fixture was working again. So not sure what happened that it didn't work before, but it seems fine now.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 01:38:39 AM » Author: Medved
Either someone fixed it.
Or in case of the anti cycling ignitor the cause for its not operating may have been some power dropouts, that (still without resetting the ignitor) extinguished the lamp in exact moments to make the ignitor "think" the lamp is cycling.
Then the next day it of course worked normally again...

No more selfballasted c***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 09:58:36 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well, it's not going again tonight, so I guess the bulb could be cycling just sometimes. I dunno.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 03:25:26 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Ive seen plenty of HPS lamps do funky things at EoL, some will cycle for days, some will not fire up for days, and then some that do cycle for days or some that have not fired up in days will suddenly come back to life and operate normally for a long time.  A lot has to do with the outside ambient temperature. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 10:58:56 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well this HPS light seems to have been working ok again the last several nights. Although, tonight, I went for a walk all the way to the end of my street, at a cul de sac. And I happened to notice another NEMA head glowing over in the next street, and it was a pretty green color. So I thought wow, I didn't know there were any MV lights in that street. But as I watched for a few seconds, it flashed and then went out. I waited a few seconds to see if it would try to restrike, but it didn't. So it apparently wasn't a MV but cycling HPS lamp. It sure did look like MV when it was glowing though.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 01:39:17 AM » Author: dor123
It was simply cycles in green. I've seen this a lot: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-147749

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Startup color of HPS « Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 05:28:31 PM » Author: Cole D.
An update on that HPS light in the next street. I hadn't seen it work in a while so I figured the lamp was finally out. But I went for a walk Thursday, and it was on again and wasn't green but orange. So strangely it started working again. Which I know they didn't relamp it because they would only replace it with an LED.

Also I hadn't noticed any more issue with the HPS in my street that had stopped for a while. It's been working fine since.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies