Author Topic: LPS lamps make fire look weird!  (Read 22561 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
LPS lamps make fire look weird! « on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:37 PM » Author: Lumex120
Has anyone seen this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZNNDA2WUSU

4:13

Unofficial LG Discord

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:24 AM » Author: funkybulb
Good way to kill that LPS (Sox) lamp running base down!

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:06:56 AM » Author: dor123
He demonstrates how the sodium vapor absorbs its own light, using a flame.
Operating the lamp base-down, is his easiest way without hanging the base and gear so that the lamp would burn horizontally.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:13:40 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yeah, it makes black fire.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 01:12:41 PM » Author: Binarix128
Yeah! Its cool!
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:59:21 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Good way to kill that LPS (Sox) lamp running base down!
Just what we thought when watching the video.  :o :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 11:07:34 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
He demonstrates how the sodium vapor absorbs its own light, using a flame.
Operating the lamp base-down, is his easiest way without hanging the base and gear so that the lamp would burn horizontally.

It's even easier to run it horizontally like a lamp of this wattage should be run.!  :o :a_sox:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 12:58:42 PM » Author: Danny
I get a Lot of EOL sox come in. What i do with them is fill a bucket smash them heat up the sodium droplets with a small blowtorch so theyre on fire then throw it in the water. Its a bit dangerous but you get a nice colourful kaboom with plenty of sparks, fire and smoke! (Wear goggles if you plan to try it)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 01:28:27 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I get a Lot of EOL sox come in. What i do with them is fill a bucket smash them heat up the sodium droplets with a small blowtorch so theyre on fire then throw it in the water. Its a bit dangerous but you get a nice colourful kaboom with plenty of sparks, fire and smoke! (Wear goggles if you plan to try it)

I'd like to nuke an EOL Sox lamp on a 1000 watt HPS ballast lol.

I've nuked incandescent, fluorescent, LED, HPS, MV, MH...

The only lamps I haven't nuked yet would be SOX and XBO..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 02:09:36 PM » Author: FGS
The only lamps I haven't nuked yet would be SOX and XBO..

https://giphy.com/gifs/history-explosions-nuclear-DzbtOMJ0xOufC
This is how you nuke an entire state. :o :P

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 12:09:18 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps

https://giphy.com/gifs/history-explosions-nuclear-DzbtOMJ0xOufC
This is how you nuke an entire state. :o :P

Lmaoo.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:18 PM » Author: LightsDelight
I've made the mistake of running SOX base-down but thankfully I only ran it that way for a few seconds. I once for the first time powered up my 18W SOX and you could see the liquid sodium so I thought 'oh cool' and I shook it around and I powered it up and it started to cycle as I had it on a fluro choke with a starter, that experience led to a lot of words being said that cannot be posted here :-X. Cool video anyway 8)

Keep discharge lighting alive

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS lamps make fire look weird! « Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 11:16:44 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
I saw this video. I wonder if I can do this without a LPS lamp.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies