Author Topic: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House?  (Read 18040 times)
form109
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:38:46 PM » Author: form109
in order to reduce power usage,i bought a Lithonia Yardblaster that uses a 70 Watt High Pressure Sodium Lamp,i didnt like the color so i stripped out the Caster Ballast and used
an Advance 100 Watt Metal Halide,along with a Regent 100 Watt Deluxe White Mercury Vapor lamp.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 09:48:39 PM » Author: FGS
Where did ya get the MH ballast?

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

form109
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:37 PM » Author: form109
Where did ya get the MH ballast?

i was looking around in ace,there was one lone ballast that looked like a H.I.D Ballast,suprised that i found it,it was 25 bucks.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:05 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Dude 100 watt MH and 100 watt MV are NOT the same.........so the 100 watt MV lamp is actually being overdriven with a 100 watt MH ballast

Only 175 watt and higher are compatible........and same values...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

form109
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 12:30:23 AM » Author: form109
i am well aware of the diffrences in values,but the lamp is working just fine with no problems,this setup uses a mercury vapor lamp on a Metal Halide ballast,so i see no reason to change it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:35:29 AM by form109 » Logged
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 12:48:37 AM » Author: FGS
Dude 100 watt MH and 100 watt MV are NOT the same.........so the 100 watt MV lamp is actually being overdriven with a 100 watt MH ballast

Only 175 watt and higher are compatible........and same values...

Ye could fix that with a 125w MV lamp. They might be a bit hard to find. As for a hardware store having HID ballasts. Ye lucky! The stores I have been the only way to get ballasts is to buy the fixture. Usually a barn-burner.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:06 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
25 watt overdriven yes......but if I were really wanting to use correct setup....use a 70 watt MH ballast for 100 watt MV....its closer actually...

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:06 AM » Author: FGS
5w under driven? So if I find a 70w MH fixture. I could simply unhook the igniter and screw in a 100w MV. Good they come in medium base. (Actually they're the same physical size and shape. Harder to distinguish if they're coated.)

form109
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:24 AM » Author: form109
@fgs yep a 125 watt mercury vapor ballast would be hard to find,but the lamp is only overdriven by 25 watts,so again it works.

and getting a ballast out of a barnblaster is not an option for me,the mercury vapor ones have virtually been wiped out around here by HPS and Flourescent,i tried it on the hps ballast and the lamp cycled,so i used the MH ballast,which was a special close-out item.

@jace yes a 70 watt ballast is a closer match,but i used what was avalible locally.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:55:55 AM by form109 » Logged
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:59 PM » Author: FGS
@Form109 - Bulbman sells the 125w Mercs. Good new it's an EYE brand. Bad news it's coated and cost $19.95 for one plus S&H.

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 03:47:28 PM » Author: arcblue
As for security lights at my house, I'm sure I totally overdid it, especially since my property is small. Only one side of my house doesn't have a light, but it's so close to my neighbor I really can't put one there. I have two 50w HPS wall packs in the back, plus 12 solar lights throughout the property (path & spot) and 15 low-voltage lights (path & spot, all 10w or less) that all run dusk to dawn (several converted to LED). The front yard has three 35w HPS wall packs (on most nights) and one 100w wall pack with a clear merc (on only when needed). Side yard has another one of these merc wall packs converted to a 70w MH & an 80w mercury flood (also only on when needed). Back corner yard has my 175w mercury gumball (rarely on), and wall pack converted to use a 13w PL fluorescent lamp.

If that's still not enough (like for finding that lost contact lens in the grass), I have a 160w SBMV portable tripod light, a 70w halide worklight and my 35w HID flashlight. On full moon nights I use as few lights as possible, and I can see the stars OK, but it's usually cloudy every night in the Pacific Northwest. The real glare offenders in my area are the golf driving range & high school track & field, all lit my numerous 1000w metal halides, almost every night until 10 or 11.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:43:39 AM by arcblue » Logged

I'm lampin...

Dimiz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:47 AM » Author: Dimiz
Around my property, I've only attacked one side in front of the garage with a 250W metal halide Sylvania B3000 street light (used to be 150W Sodium but doing electrical work under yellow light stuffs up colours!)and under the carport I have 2 100W + 1 250W floodlights when I need a little more light... I'm always chopping and changing anyways...

Could never explain why I risk so much to collect them!

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 08:10:03 PM » Author: lightman64
I have one Utliltech 70 watt Pulse Start Metal Halide fixture, three TCP CFL's in my porch lights and 3 Lights of America Candelabra CFL's in my mailbox light fixture.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 04:53:42 PM » Author: Medved
I use this lantern converted from HPS70W to MV80W with added photocell control. Btw do somebody know something with similar optical characteristic (strong in one "forward" direction and then "pool" below - not as usable for street lighting application) for replacement? The plastic body on the my one has strong UV-caused corrosion and will likely not last long anymore... I need this pattern, as i want to illuminate long triangle-like area and the only point, where it does not cause light intrusion into windows is on one corner of the short side and where is the pole...

No more selfballasted c***

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 06:21:27 PM » Author: paintballer22
In the front yard a 50 watt mercury lamp post.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies