Author Topic: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist???  (Read 1624 times)
mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « on: December 19, 2018, 06:40:02 AM » Author: mefurd98
Did they ever produce a SB-HPS lamp? I have not heard of one...I was just wondering. :-\ :-\
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:37 AM » Author: Medved
Unless the ballast is some electronic which is able to maintain the arc and so overcome the zero crossing extinction, the characteristics of the HPS and MH do not allow the operation on just a resistive ballast.
As was already described around the previous posts with the same question, the MV has an unusualy long ionization life and allows for an active (so all the time fed via its resistor) auxiliary probe, both are enablers for the discharge with a plain resistive ballast.

More details find in all the other instances of the same question ("Are there any selfballasted MH/HPS", "Why are there no selfballasted MH" and so on) in the Forum...

No more selfballasted c***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:35:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
Although I'm not disagreeing with Medved, at all, I have seen somewhere on LG a self ballasted lamp very much similar to HPS. It
produces more of a white light than the typical HPS though. Heck, I'm not sure if it's related to HPS, or LPS. There's a name for it,
and unfortunately I don't remember what it's called. But it's definitely a sodium lamp of some sort.
There is a user on here that uploaded a picture and even a video of it a while back. The ballast within the screw-in adapter,
was magnetic.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:02:02 PM » Author: dor123
The said lamp that was made by European Sylvania, isn't a self-ballasted HPS lamp, but a HPS retrofit for European 230-240V mercury chokes. It had an internal inductive to allow its current to be the same as the 125W or 80W MV lamps that it is intended to replace, and an internal glow starter.
Sylvania now produces a CMH lamp with a similar configuration, after the EU banned mercury lamps and retrofit HPS lamps: http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/D%20MHC%20Sylvania%20Relumina%2085W.htm

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:11:59 PM » Author: suzukir122
If I can find the picture of it on LG, I'll post a link to it, unless someone finds it before I do lol
But I'm having a tough time finding the picture and video.
I think you're correct Dor123, but I'll still look around for it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:14:26 PM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 05:52:21 AM » Author: dor123
Here is the picture: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106004
And here is an x-rays picture of James: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-150006

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do Self-ballasted HPS lamps exist??? « Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 06:09:34 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123, very similar, but not quite the same. However, you have seen the lamp that I'm talking about.
It was THIS lamp: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2692&pos=7&pid=130696

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies