Author Topic: Do you collect other things besides lighting??  (Read 33891 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 02:36:54 PM » Author: Rommie
We collect cuddly toys, aka The Cuddly Tribe, we currently have around 280 or so at the last count..! Here they are all piled up by the front door when we were  getting ready to photograph them all individually  ;D

Apart from that, not much else, really. Except dust. LOTS of dust... :-\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:30:19 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 05:49:52 PM » Author: Rommie
I've always loved this cartoon!  I did not meet Tom Kenny in person, though I find that eBay is a great place to find autographs.  I got my Tom Kenny autograph for my birthday earlier this month ;)
Be very careful buying autographed items and similar stuff from eBay (or anywhere else, for that matter). There are a LOT of scammers out there who will fake signatures and sell them for silly money. We saw a programme on TV a while back where some members of the public who had paid thousands for things like signed football shirts found that they were worthless fakes  :-\

The only autographs I have are those of people I have met personally - signed to me in my presence.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:51:40 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #47 on: October 29, 2019, 12:00:12 AM » Author: CEB1993
I’m planning on selling about 10 of my diecast model cars at a nearby antique shop. I can rent a shelf there and sell my items for competitive prices.

Diecast models are often limited edition and appreciate in value over time. Some of the models on eBay have risen to shocking prices in the past few years, so I think selling off some of my car collection will be beneficial.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #48 on: October 29, 2019, 11:35:46 AM » Author: CEB1993
In the mid-late 50's, if you bought a car from a Ford dealer you would get a model replica of a Ford vehicle that had operating doors and hood/trunk. They were sharp and full of detail.

Some dealers still offer small gifts such as models of your car when you buy a real car. Many models sold online are dealer editions with precise details. They’re a little expensive, but worth it if you have the real car.

What sets a high quality model car apart from the rest is the use of real carpet inside for the floor and even real leather for the seats. I have a VW Bettle model that even has an opening glove box.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 05:37:06 PM » Author: suzukir122
This makes me wonder if my younger brother (RT Spacer on YouTube) has any diecast model cars in his collection.

I don't have any model cars or bikes.
I'll have to come back to this thread soon because there's more stuff that I collect, but I forgot what stuff that is.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #50 on: November 02, 2019, 10:04:19 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Takemorepills:

Getting all of those albums from your mum, just makes me feel my age as that's what I collected back in the day...  :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #51 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:29 PM » Author: takemorepills
Have you seen what the Pioneer SX-1980 are selling for on Ebay? 5,000 dollars. Unbelievable!

Completed auction or asking price? It's amazing, isn't it?

I recently watched an auction for a pair of HPM-100 speakers go for $1400 (without shipping, to my area shipping was $450) on eBay.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #52 on: November 03, 2019, 02:06:31 PM » Author: takemorepills
In 2008 I purchased an SX-1250, 1280, and two SX1980's with boxes and all worked well. I paid around 400-500 for the 1250 & 1280's and 650-775.00 for the 1980's. I sold them for about 300.00 more each about two years later and thought I really did well.
Look at them now.

That is asking price but I see where rehab service now costs more than I paid for an entire unit back in 07-08.

Refurb is getting more expensive. I tried to have a stereo service shop in Seattle refurb my SX-1050 and repair my SX-636, I left both at the repair shop for a year. The crazy old guy (prob suffering from lead exposure) never got around to fixing them, and he decided to retire and close shop. I ended up refurbishing my SX-1050 myself and repairing/refurbishing my SX-636.

Point to that is there's very few people these days who repair old stuff. Most have died. I have an RCA 111K from the mid-1940's I restored, I had to send the speaker to a guy on the east coast to have it re-coned. Between shipping to/from and his services it cost me nearly $200 to refurb the speaker! Not to mention the cost of finding GOOD cloth wire, NOS tubes and other antique bits and pieces I prob spent $400 restoring my 111K.

The prices for the Hi-Fi solid state stuff is getting really high, but my antique radio has nearly no value. Likely because the customer who appreciates antiques are dying, and those who appreciate 1970's-1980's Hi-Fi are rich with cash and probably not older than early 50's, so right now the Hi-Fi stuff has value. After 20+ years, I bet it becomes cheap again. Just like Elvis stuff......

I plan on keeping my Hi-Fi stuff. I didn't acquire it to turn a profit, I have it because I honestly believe it is better than new Chinese made stuff. We have a Yamaha HDMI AV receiver we bought in 2017 for our home theatre system. It is ALREADY presenting what appears to be bad solder joints on it's SMD components. After it warms up, the HDMI video management system begins to loose video integrity, the image becomes all red-tinted and/or develops random lines in random shapes and/or fails to switch sources. 2 years old,made in China, just past warranty, and complete rubbish already.
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #53 on: November 04, 2019, 05:03:23 PM » Author: Jovan
Yes old money  ;D ;D
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #54 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:48 AM » Author: joseph_125
I also have some vintage audio electronics and related stuff like cassette tapes, vinyl records etc but I don't really collect them as aside from scoring them for cheap at yard sales and the thrift store they're fairly expensive on eBay and Craiglist/Kijiji and I don't really have room for a large collection. Most of my audio gear is unrestored but operational although I did have to replace the belts and pinch rollers on one of my cassette decks. I also got most of it around 2010-2011 when prices were rising but still affordable. The cassette tapes and vinyl records I mostly collect to play on my equipment. I know some people buy vinyl records for the sake of collecting them alone but it always seemed strange to me to spend that much ($20-40) on a new record and not play them.

Also have a small collection of older traffic signals and street signs. Most are vintage models that used to be common around my area before they replaced everything with LED signals.

I guess I also "collect" model cars and vintage electrical devices but I don't really actively seek those out.
A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #55 on: November 07, 2019, 09:42:15 AM » Author: A2ZAlarms
Cool ! I collect locks as well. What is your favourite brand ?
I don't really collect locks but I have a set of ABUS locks engraved with the general electric logo from a general electric factory I do not have the keys but i picked them to control ant took out the cores. if anyone has ABUS cores let me know. but other then lighting I collect fire alarms, misc electrical stuff, cassette tapes, vinyl, reel-to-reel tapes.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #56 on: November 07, 2019, 01:59:52 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Where I live the library isn't very good when it comes to having a series of books, either not having the first book in it, or even worse in my opinion, finding that they haven't bothered to get the critical volume at the finish of the series. So for a long time I bought books to keep at home, and occasionally read again. Those have now gone to charity shops to make way for lamps.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 11:09:30 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Besides lighting, I collect fans (especialy old box fans), insulators, eletric motors, smoke detectors, thermostats and a lot of other stuff.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:43 PM » Author: sol
I don't really collect locks but I have a set of ABUS locks engraved with the general electric logo from a general electric factory I do not have the keys but i picked them to control ant took out the cores. if anyone has ABUS cores let me know. but other then lighting I collect fire alarms, misc electrical stuff, cassette tapes, vinyl, reel-to-reel tapes.

If you picked to control to remove the cylinder, that means you most likely have what is a SFIC padlock (small format interchangeable core). Those were introduced by Best and have had clones for years. Many manufacturers make them, some with higher security than others. I believe Abus does not make them, only padlocks that accept them.

Abus does make what looks like a core in a restricted keyway. However, they are not really removable core per se because you secure them in with a screw in the shackle hole. No control key is required to install/remove as long as the shackle is open. The keyway 888 is readily available at reasonable prices online, but they won't fit a padlock that is designed for SFIC.

If you want, you can post a picture of the core removed from the padlock, and I can tell you what you have and what you need to get keys.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #59 on: November 10, 2019, 07:28:56 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Metal Halide Boy, what kind of electric motors do you like to collect?
As for me, I know it's lighting related, but seems as if I'm starting to accidentally collect ballasts. I'm
not a fan of collecting ballasts... I'm a fan of USING them. Sooo I want to get rid of a lot of them. haha

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies