Author Topic: Do you collect other things besides lighting??  (Read 33924 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #135 on: November 07, 2020, 03:14:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
Of interest, there was a digtial audio format called ADAT that recorded 8 tracks of audio digitally onto the same VHS cassettes but it's a pretty obscure format.

There was also an 720p HD version of VHS called D-VHS that never really took off even though it offered better picture quality than the 480p DVDs at the time.

BTW if you're interested in old and obscure media formats, there's a YouTube channel called Techmoan you might want to check out.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #136 on: November 07, 2020, 03:16:20 PM » Author: Medved
Plus even when you manage to pass the signal somehow, it would be buzzing like heck, as the heads are switching every 20/16.667ms (for 50/60Hz area) to the other one when going from one track to the next one. Normally this is designed to fall into the vertical blanking pulse...
But most likely the VCR would refuse to record anything from the start at all, when there is nothing to resemble the sync signal pattern...

The 1Vpp would be good enough voltage, but the output impedance of 75 Ohm would make it very weak, to barely 30mVrms at the border of clipping (assume 8Ohm speaker)...

No more selfballasted c***

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #137 on: November 07, 2020, 05:29:20 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Of interest, there was a digtial audio format called ADAT that recorded 8 tracks of audio digitally onto the same VHS cassettes but it's a pretty obscure format.

There was also an 720p HD version of VHS called D-VHS that never really took off even though it offered better picture quality than the 480p DVDs at the time.

BTW if you're interested in old and obscure media formats, there's a YouTube channel called Techmoan you might want to check out.
I have never heard of ADAT but I have heard of D-VHS. I love Techmoan! That's how I learned about LaserDisc and other weird formats that never took off.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

MVMH_99

View Posts
View Gallery

Nothin' Like Clear MV...

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #138 on: November 28, 2020, 04:42:00 PM » Author: MVMH_99
Do you strictly collect lighting or do you collect other things as well? For me it would be lighting, video games, retail related stuff, and fire extinguishers. My largest collections would definitely be lighting and video games, and I've been collecting the lighting the longest.

For me, it would be both computers and electrical items.  I've recently started collecting more types of bulbs again (namely mercury vapor and PSMH).  I'm also crazy about computers, and now have four in total!  Most of them are modern or even brand-new, but I do have an old, 1997 gray Toshiba Satellite, which is still going strong (despite no longer having a battery - the battery developed an internal short which caused the AC adapter to make a "ticking" sound and wouldn't allow the notebook to operate.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - let old lighting LIVE!

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #139 on: March 26, 2021, 11:50:00 AM » Author: thelightingman
Other than lighting, I love to collect fans.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #140 on: March 29, 2021, 08:54:00 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I got quite a few clock radios and speaker sets.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #141 on: March 29, 2021, 11:52:30 AM » Author: Econolite03
I collect plants.
Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #142 on: March 29, 2021, 12:14:53 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
I collect insulators. Lots of them. :D

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #143 on: March 29, 2021, 12:59:07 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I collect insulators. Lots of them. :D
Same here! I also collect pole tags.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Do you collect other things besides lighting?? « Reply #144 on: March 29, 2021, 06:46:41 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I got quite a few clock radios and speaker sets.
I also collect vintage audio equipment. Can you post pictures of your speaker sets?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies