Author Topic: Circline fixture takes 3 tries to light.  (Read 1309 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Circline fixture takes 3 tries to light. « on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:52 PM » Author: Cole D.
I have a circline type fluorescent fixture in my house, and it's been having an issue. I can never get it to light when I first turn on the switch, so I have to turn it on and off two or three times to get it to start. It used to only do that when it was really cold but now it does it all the time. I took the shade off and didn't notice blackening at the end of the tube. So I'm not sure whether it's the ballast or the lamp itself. It has a magnetic ballast.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Circline fixture takes 3 tries to light. « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:28:45 PM » Author: sol
If the ballast is rapid start, it could be a grounding issue or a dirty lamp which impedes the capacitance of the ground. Flipping the switch makes an inductive kick similar to a starter switch and can get problematic fixtures to start. Fixing the ground or cleaning the lamp and fixture can take care of it. Otherwise, the filament heating coils in the ballast might be getting weak and not heating up the electrodes sufficiently to light the lamp.

If it is preheat, it might have a bad starter.

Hope this helps.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies